GitS: SAC - R1 vs. R2J vs. R4

Post by Lourdes »

R1 & R2J are interlaced
R4 is progressive but the last 4-5 episodes suffer from ghosting in many places

R1 Top, R2J Middle, R4 Bottom

EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

...And here most thought that Bandai were good encoders. How come they keep fucking up HD downscales?
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

In terms of video quality the R2J beats the R1 due to having much less EE. The R4 is progressive and has the least EE but more artefacts than the R2J and there's the unfortunate issue of ghosting.
The R1's have the DTS which is just lovely but I'll ABXY it against the R2J's DD5.1 later on to see how much of a difference there really is. The new R2J set has identical video but an added English DD5.1 track.

When the 2nd GIG R2J set is out to check I'll do a comparison including that with the R2UK in place of the R4.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'll be getting the R4 2nd Gig eventually. I don't trust Mangle UK TBH.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I'll be getting the R4 2nd Gig eventually. I don't trust Mangle UK TBH.
Any word on a fatpack?

I believe some of the 2nd GIG UK vols are actually interlaced, there are certainly plenty of typos in the subs. I watched them on an old CRT though and didn't really pay attention to AV. I'll give them a good examination once I have both R2J's to check.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

No fatpack yet, they've only released a brick boxset.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

EvaUnit02 wrote:No fatpack yet, they've only released a brick boxset.
Got any information on the R4's at all? Like are they NTSC>PAL or from decent masters.

I just did my audio tests, I could easily ID all the tracks Both English and Japanese DD5.1 tracks on the R2J's have better mixes then the R1's. The R2J DD5.1 is also better mixed the the R1's DTS track. But the DTS has more grunt and dynamic, you can really hear the extra detail during action scenes and when music is playing. I didn't both with the R4's audio for obvious reasons, you don't need perfect pitch to notice pitch correction when listening analytically.

With the first season I'll probably just stick with the R4 set and sell my R1's, maybe keep the DTS and copies of the eps with ghosting from the R2J's. A BD release is certain so there's no need to be too fussy really.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Lourdes wrote:
EvaUnit02 wrote:No fatpack yet, they've only released a brick boxset.
Got any information on the R4's at all? Like are they NTSC>PAL or from decent masters.
I'm sure pretty sure that HD-downscales of 2nd Gig were confirmed on their forums awhile ago.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

I just compared the R2ES/PT discs of both seasons to the existing caps. Both series seem to use the same masters as the other releases (same ghosting/interlaced bits). They're authored by Manga, have far too many audio and subtracks and only 6 discs per season. Quality isn't as good as the R2UK/R4 discs due to more compression artefacts. I didn't keep the caps as it's not like anyone here cares.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

ES=Spain?
PT=?
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

orugal