Duck, You Sucker/Fistful of Dynamite - R1 CE v R2DE Gold Ed.

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Duck, You Sucker/Fistful of Dynamite - R1 CE v R2DE Gold Ed.

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Both are obviously taken from the same master. R1 is the one to buy for the English mono track. Avoid the R2UK SE because not only is it cut, but it also only has the gay ass DD5.1 remix like all of the European SEs.

Under no circumstances buy the the old European R2/4 unremastered barebones release, as it is missing Sean's final flashback sequence.

R1 CE (MGM) Top, R2DE Gold Ed. (MGM/Fox) Bottom

Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 15 Jul 2007, 11:24, edited 4 times in total.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

For image I prefer DE but you're right, with no mono it's no buy.

Is the DE progressive this time?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

HungFist wrote:Is the DE progressive this time?
Yes, they both are.

EDIT: Should be noted that the German release is from MGM, R1 is from MGM/Fox.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

This is a great movie. Sean, Sean, Sean.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

captainjoe wrote:This is a great movie. Sean, Sean, Sean.
Yup, sure is. I'd say that it's as entertaining as TBTBATU. Once Upon a Time in the West is still Leone's best flick by far IMO.
FinnurE
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by FinnurE »

I somewhat lean towards the R1 in terms of image, it crops away the pale vertical line at the bottom and shows more on the left side. Otherwise I'd say they are the same and both are cropped by quite a bit on left, right, and bottom compared to older editions but show more top.

What would be the determining factor between the two is the mono mix on the R1, which as far as I'm concerned is mandatory as the new 5.1 mix is HORRIBLE (Fake foley effects, incorrect musical cues, pitch correction artefacts (only in PAL territory)).

Does anyone know if the R1 contains the true mono mix or is it just a fold-down?
Mace Windu got thrown out the windu!
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

I disagree about the old release, it's horrible, and misses the flashback, but it's the only preservation on DVD of this "A fistful of dynamite" title version. It's a great alternative to archive and can be found for cheap (for completists really, but when it comes to Leone, I want every variation as long as it was released in the theaters -don't care about censored versions thought-)
FinnurE
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by FinnurE »

Looks like MGM are trying to scam us again with the R1 CE. The mono mix is just a fold-down of the 5.1 remix and has all the incorrect music cues, added sound effects and censored dialogue. The only way to hear the real mono soundtrack is to buy the 2003 R2 release or the 1996 Laserdisc.
Mace Windu got thrown out the windu!