Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Cowboy Bebop - R1 Remix Vs. R3K Vs. R3K 'Remix'

Post by Lourdes »

R1 Remix is 99.34% progressive (Ep5)
R3K is interlaced (Ep5)
R3K 'Remix' is ??% progressive (Ep5)

The R3K's should be direct R2J ports

Caps from Lourdes (R1 Remix) and EvaUnit02 (R3K/R3K 'Remix')

R1 Remix Top, R3K Middle, R3K 'Remix' Bottom

Subtitle Sample:

Comparison:

Last edited by Lourdes on 28 Apr 2007, 10:34, edited 4 times in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Eva tells me he's getting the 5.1 R3K set so hopefully he can see if the video is the same on that as it is on the older one. Apparently it should be. If so then the R1 Remix release is the one to have as shitty as it is.
I so hope there will be a BD/HD-DVD release.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Is the dot crawl on the r3k as extensive as on the r1?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Shingster wrote:Is the dot crawl on the r3k as extensive as on the r1?
Wouldn't know, I sold the R3K 2.0ch yesterday. Picking a DVD set of this show is about the lesser of evils really. The R3K 5.1ch set (which was $30-40nzd cheaper than the combined R1 remix volumes) will tide me over until this series sees an HD remastering. I'll take caps of the 5.1 set once I get it.

They also need to remaster Evangelion again, christ knows why the 2003 Renewal Project wasn't done in HD. Gainax will undoubtedly re-release the series (and End) in promotion of the new Eva movies coming in a couple years. (The R1 Platinum releases are all interlaced BTW.)
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 27 Apr 2007, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

It's a composite video issue so it'll be just as bad. If they'd used a comb filter or anything else you would also see a reduction in the rainbows.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

EvaUnit02 wrote:They also need to remaster Evangelion again, christ knows why the 2003 Renewal Project wasn't done in HD. Gainax will undoubtedly re-release the series (and End) in promotion of the new Eva movies coming in a couple years.
You're right - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBA-91401 . No remaster though, Rebuild is out this year.

Afaik Gainax still have all the cells bar some that were stolen/prizes so perhaps they might redo the whole series over one day. I doubt they can get a decent looking HD version from what they currently have.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Lourdes wrote: I doubt they can get a decent looking HD version from what they currently have.
I bet that won't stop them from putting out an upscaled BD set anyway, loads of ignorant fools would snap that up.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Lourdes wrote:
It's a composite video issue so it'll be just as bad. If they'd used a comb filter or anything else you would also see a reduction in the rainbows.
Indeedy, back when I bought vol1 of the R1 5.1 remixes I was quite shocked at how bad the dot crawl was. In comparison to the standard R4 discs (whose transfers are much darker) I seem to recall a noticable reduction in dot craw, so I assume Madman used a comb filter on the image. As you say though, when it comes to Bebop all regions have problems, and it ultimately comes down to choosing which poison you'd rather swallow.
Kris
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by Kris »

All versions look like crap; I'm holding out for the remaster. Shouldn't be too long now really, Sunrise has been on a remastering streak and redone loads of their old shows in the last couple of years (Votoms, City Hunter, Outlaw Star, Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam 0083.) Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne are the two biggest shows they've still got left to do.

As for Evangelion, I'm pretty sure the existing releases were from an HD master, unfortunately it was most likely from a bobbed 1080i telecine. The colours are pretty crappy too at times and there's bleeding and whatnot, so yeah, it could really do with a new remaster.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Added R3K 'Remix' caps thanks to Eva. Same master again but a different transfer and mostly progressive. R1 Remix is still a bit sharper though.

So begins the long wait for DVD remasters or HD releases. Just think how long it took for some titles to get to DVD.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

I just had a look at the French DVD. Interlaced PAL, probably NTSC>PAL but I didn't think to confirm. Same master but brightened up, hides the rainbows but there are other problems introduced.