Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: 1993 master vs. 2004 master

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: 1993 master vs. 2004 master

Post by captainjoe »

Top: 1993 master
- Featured on the THX approved Laserdisc and the 2006 2-disc DVD as a bonus - non-anamoprhic - originals without added CGI - 2.0 surround

Bottom: 2004 John lowry digital restoration master
- Featured on the 2004 DVD release and the 2006 2-disc DVD - anamorphic - Special Editions with the added CGI - 5.1 and 2.0 surround sound

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Visually there's no contest -- but changing the person in that last cap is just plain wrong.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't look so absurd and really badly plonked in. I can't believe Lucas thinks it's acceptable.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

That changes really pisses me off. I think it should've been the original actor still because that's how Luke remembers his father in the first place. He has no idea who that young guy is standing there! I'm sure he's thinking "Who the f*ck is that random guy?"
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

I totally agree. Replacing Shaw with Christensen makes no sense whatsoever. I don't mind the other changes with the shots of the other worlds (though I do miss the original Ewok song :)), but that change plain makes no sense.
In fact, due to what was said in the third film, I don't get how Anakin appears at all, in terms of story. Originally, I think the idea was that it was a Jedi 'thing'; all Jedi become these ghosts when they die. But seeing as how Qui-Gon, Yoda and Obi-Wan are supposed to be the only Jedi that have figured out how to do it, how does Anakin know?

Anyway, I digress. How come you've not done a comparison of Leia in her slave outfit, eh? :P
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Kurgan wrote:In fact, due to what was said in the third film, I don't get how Anakin appears at all, in terms of story. Originally, I think the idea was that it was a Jedi 'thing'; all Jedi become these ghosts when they die. But seeing as how Qui-Gon, Yoda and Obi-Wan are supposed to be the only Jedi that have figured out how to do it, how does Anakin know?
I'm surprised that Lucas didn't add Qui-Gon to that shot at the end of Jedi, perhaps he'll do so with the 2007 Anniversary boxset.

There's no set rules in the Star Wars universe, so honestly who gives a shit?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I don't mind the changes either except for:

1. This one
2. Jabba now in Stars Wars. Again I wouldn't mind but again it's so badly done and been plonked in. He's far too small compared with how he is in the other two. He does look much better in the 2004 than 1997 version though, but still ridiculously tiny. He's the same height as Han Solo yet next time we see him he's huge.

Just give us the Original Theatrical Cut Remastered!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I don't mind the changes either except for:

1. This one
2. Jabba now in Stars Wars. Again I wouldn't mind but again it's so badly done and been plonked in. He's far too small compared with how he is in the other two. He does look much better in the 2004 than 1997 version though, but still ridiculously tiny. He's the same height as Han Solo yet next time we see him he's huge.

Just give us the Original Theatrical Cut Remastered!
3. The 2004 redubbing of Boba Fett was fucking terrible .
4. The new song sung in Jabba's Palace by the alien band was shit too.
5. The blaster impact wound censorship was gay.

Ones I couldn't give a fuck about:-
The 2004 colour correction changing the sabre beam colours.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Changes I like

The Dewbacks
The Wampa in Empire
The expansion of the Death Star explosions
The Sarlac Creature
A few shots of Oola in the Rancor pit - not as effective dramatically but she's very sexy so more is welcome!
The new ending of Jedi - 97 version, not 2004 version - even though I miss the Ewok song

Changes I hate

The whole Episode IV: A New Hope. What's wrong with calling that one Star Wars and calling the others by their individual names. It's much better
Replacing original actors with prequel ones
Expansion of Mos Eisley
Jabba in Star Wars. First time he looks like Pillsbourghy Doughboy and in any case my favourite character in the series is played as a fool
Greedo shooting first
The 2004 ending of Jedi with Hayden and "Weesa free!"
The bizzare expansion of Vader leaving Cloud City. Pointless

Worst change
Replacing Lapti Nek with Jedi Rocks

Changes I'd like to see
Better makeup for Darth Vader. A bald man with a few scars is a major anti climax considering the possibilities
Some gratuitous Jawa slaughter in Star Wars - never mind the Ewoks, these things bug me!
A post-credit sequence in Jedi of Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Ivan Drago wrote:The new ending of Jedi - 97 version, not 2004 version - even though I miss the Ewok song
Are they different?
Ivan Drago wrote:Replacing Lapti Nek with Jedi Rocks
What's this?
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

In the 97 Special edition of Jedi, we see the Galatic Celebration - but not on Naboo - and when Luke sees the Phantoms in the forest, they are as they are in the 1983 version.

Lapti Nek is the jazzy number performed by the Max Rebo band in the 83 Jedi. It was replaced for the special edition by a horribly overdone Broadway knockoff who sing a bizarre song called Jedi Rocks
bradavon wrote:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Ivan Drago wrote: Lapti Nek is the jazzy number performed by the Max Rebo band in the 83 Jedi. It was replaced for the special edition by a horribly overdone Broadway knockoff who sing a bizarre song called Jedi Rocks
This will still confuse Brad. Brad, he was referring to the song sung in Jabba's Palace by the alien band.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Having the guy who plays Anakin from Ep 111 in the last cap looks plain stupid. Anyway as others have said thats not how Luke remembers his father.
Surely the "prequels" should have been made to fit with the originals. Not the other way round.
Just realised I havent seen my SW DVDs yet :D
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Here's the music video for the pop version of Lapti Nek - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuDK8IgByTg. You can hear this version, along with the Ewok Song, on the original OOP Return Of The Jedi soundtrack album - not the 2 disc special edition
bradavon wrote:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:Having the guy who plays Anakin from Ep 111.
Why on Earth are you using Arabic numerals as Roman ones?[/quote]
Just realised I havent seen my SW DVDs yet :D
You're not missing much.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Huh? I meant Episode III, d'oh! :D

I havent seen either one yet, is what I mean :) I just havent got round to it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Brad, he was referring to the song sung in Jabba's Palace by the alien band.
I just about got it but thanks for the clarification.

[quote="grim_tales"Surely the "prequels" should have been made to fit with the originals. Not the other way round.[/quote]
That would assume Lucas has talent as a director, which as we all know he couldn't direct himself out of a traffic jam.