Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Seven Samurai: Criterion original vs. Criterion re-issue

Post by captainjoe »

Seven Samurai

Top: Original Criterion
Bottom: Newly released Criterion

Criterion has finally re-issued Seven Samurai on DVD and the results are worth the wait. All the terrible and annoying dirt
and debris from the old disc is gone. What is left is a clearer image with deep blacks and a sharper image. The artificial
edge enhancement found on the old disc is completely gone. There's a much more natural film grain coming through
with absolutely no noise reduction.
The other benefit of this set is that the film is split onto two discs to prevent compression artefacts and pixelation
like those found on the old release. I have a feeling that the older Criterion disc was slightly sped up because
the main titles end at about 2:58 on the old disc and 3:04 on the new disc. This disc and many others make me
wish Criterion would start releasing HD discs.
The new mono track is ten times better. The hiss and crackle from the old disc is gone. A new Dolby Surround track
has also been added which is a welcomed addition.
Criterion has provided a new subtitle track. It differs from the original. I think the new one works best but I'm not
sure if it's more accurate than before. The text is better and easier to read.
Last edited by captainjoe on 19 Apr 2007, 23:24, edited 6 times in total.
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

You should also review the subtitles. :wink:
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

Oh heck no. They modernised the dialogue? I find it hard to believe that they "son of a bitch" in that movie. Anyone that understands Japanese here that could confirm this?
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Toshiro Mifune's character says "Shyeet!" or something quite a lot in the original. I'm sure it won't bother me that much.
Anyway the Japanese used in the film is very old.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

When we got get to translations like "oh hell no, wassup dawg?" I'll start worrying. I reckon I can cope with the above.

I'll need to try and get my hands on this new Crit.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

IO got it thru customs as it was under 18 pounds :) bargain! its cheap all over if you look about DVDPACIFIC and yesasia are 2 to start with, no customs for sure from yesasia and if its still cheap on DVDPACIFIC then no customs :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Agreed the new Criterion is much better. What are the new extras like?

Agreed I dislike "son of a bitch" too but what could they use? They need to use some form of modern English for it to make sense, no? The old subs look worse using words instead of sentences to convey the message.

£18 is decent for a Criterion (CD WOW want £25) but it's still to much. I'll upgrade one day though.

EDIT: It should "just" get through customs at DVD Pacific as it's £17.90 (roughly) before postage but is £20 after postage (surface mail) so definitely to much for me.

I'd pay £15 tops.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

There is also a decent comparison of all the versions (including the new SE) here:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompar ... amurai.htm
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

That window boxing is a bit of a bitch.

Was the original ratio 1:27:1 or something? If the full image is there, it's not 1:33:1.

I don't want too much Westernizing but I could live with a little.

BTW, did this movie ever have an English dub?
Scott
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

The window boxing is something Criterion does so that nothing is lost when you watch it on certain TVs. I didn't notice any boxing on my CRT televisions and only saw a bit more on the sides on my HD-TV. It's not that big of a deal.

Criterion never had an english dub but there may be one somewhere. Best to watch it with subs though, just my opinion.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

captainjoe wrote:Criterion never had an english dub but there may be one somewhere. Best to watch it with subs though, just my opinion.
It should be the law to watch it with the subs, unless you know Japanese of course.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Updated with new comparisons.