007: The Spy Who Loved Me - UK R2 (SE) vs UK R2 (UE)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
MLAM
Jade Tiger

007: The Spy Who Loved Me - UK R2 (SE) vs UK R2 (UE)

Post by MLAM »

Right, as requested by some on here, I have decided to do The Spy Who Loved Me as my next comparison.

I'm sure we will agree this is one of the more popular Bond movies and it is actually Sir Roger Moore's favourite Bond film!

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

R2 SE

R2 UE

I think on the whole the UE is much better overall but it is marred a fair bit by excessive Edge Enhancement, just look around the henchmans head and around Bond's Body on the gunbarrel, although EE is evident on the old SE too.

Again colour correction work has mean't Blue's are more aqua now, look at the secretary's shirt and the sky in the back projection shot behind Bond. Also the colours have changed a fair bit for the dimmer egypt shots shown above in the caps, if needed I may go back and post some caps at other points in the film but that will be after I have had time to watch the film again.
Last edited by MLAM on 16 Aug 2006, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

OOO thanks MLAM, for this, Spy who loved me is my favorite Bond movie, and I have the R2 special edition. So not too sure if I want to upgrade. Look at the title screen, the R2 UE seems to be cropped on the sides as well as on the top. I wonder why, when the actual movie seem to be okay?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I think on the whole the UE is much better overall but it is marred a fair bit by excessive Edge Enhancement, just look around the henchmans head and around Bond's Body on the gunbarrel, although EE is evident on the old SE too.
Agree entirely with that statement. The improvement on most shots is quite startling. The henchmen shot does look overly EE and artificially sharpened, but, the shot looks pretty bad on the SE as well, so it's not like it's worse. I would say the UE is worth the upgrade if you like the film.

Any comment on the 5.1 audio?

...and lol @ that back projection. :lol:
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

slasher13 wrote:OOO thanks MLAM, for this, Spy who loved me is my favorite Bond movie, and I have the R2 special edition. So not too sure if I want to upgrade. Look at the title screen, the R2 UE seems to be cropped on the sides as well as on the top. I wonder why, when the actual movie seem to be okay?
Don't worry about the titles looking cropped because it isn't, all they have done is zoom out a bit so that the titles won't get cropped by overscan on TV's, annoying if your TV or LCD does not have overscan issues though.
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

Markgway wrote:Agree entirely with that statement. The improvement on most shots is quite startling. The henchmen shot does look overly EE and artificially sharpened, but, the shot looks pretty bad on the SE as well, so it's not like it's worse. I would say the UE is worth the upgrade if you like the film.

Any comment on the 5.1 audio?

...and lol @ that back projection. :lol:
Indeed,

I did this a bit later at night so I can't comment too much on the audio right now.

Bond cannot be Bond without Back Projection shots ;)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Are the titles still anamorphic or letterboxed?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shame they got some so right but some so wrong. It's looking lovely but why more cropping?
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

Markgway wrote:Are the titles still anamorphic or letterboxed?
Titles are indeed still anamorphic, I don't mean to sound a bit rude here but its fairly obvious isn't it? :D It's just window boxed

Any others you want me to do, I recall you mentioning On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

@Brad, how do you mean more cropping? Virtually no cropping on this Film
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

How is it obvious that the UE title is 16:9?

That's how it would look if it were 4:3 you had to zoom in to fill the screen.

Consider the SE is correct I think it's reasonable to question the change.
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

No mono! Damned MGM bastards do not listen!

I bet the R1 will include original theatrical soundtracks and not R2 (just like 'Terminator').

Yeah it does have a slight edge enhancement (doesn't look major though) and possibly slight tint incorrections but it's pretty good!

On another note, I hope the missing 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' footage from previous DVDs is reinstated.

Not so 'Ultimate' after all eh 8) . I smell 'Pathfinder MOTFG' coming on :lol: !
Scott
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

Markgway wrote:How is it obvious that the UE title is 16:9?

That's how it would look if it were 4:3 you had to zoom in to fill the screen.

Consider the SE is correct I think it's reasonable to question the change.
It's obvious to an extent as the frame is still 16:9, if it really was 4:3 Letterboxed source in a 16:9 frame then the black bars would be massive! but anyway lets move on.

:@ Chenlung, the missing footage from OHMSS is indeed reinstated for the Ultimate release.

Though the soundtracks to contain a few new sounds effects tho :evil:
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

What about the R1, is it mono?

Good the footage at least exists. Probably dropped due to print damage or something.
Scott
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

chenlung wrote:What about the R1, is it mono?

Good the footage at least exists. Probably dropped due to print damage or something.
NO news about the R1 yet, I have read that apparently the R1's will have the original Mono tracks BUT and a very big BUT, the first 3 films will be cropped to 1:85.1. Obviously I'm going on what I have read so nothing is concrete yet.

It always has existed I think, just the fools at MGM used the wrong print on the old DVD.
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Oh no no no no!!! Don't do anything stupid with the image! I bet it's gonna be missing those scenes.

Still, with the materials existing, we can at least combine everything :lol: , but it's still a big hassle :evil: .

Can you just confirm that R1 will most likely include original theatrical soundtracks generally as not all films leading upto the recent ones were mono only?

I'll get the R1s of these instead of the overpriced UK 'Restored and Tampered' Editions :lol: .

Thanks for the confirmations!
Scott
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

chenlung wrote:Oh no no no no!!! Don't do anything stupid with the image! I bet it's gonna be missing those scenes.

Still, with the materials existing, we can at least combine everything :lol: , but it's still a big hassle :evil: .

Can you just confirm that R1 will most likely include original theatrical soundtracks generally as not all films leading upto the recent ones were mono only?

I'll get the R1s of these instead of the overpriced UK 'Restored and Tampered' Editions :lol: .

Thanks for the confirmations!
I cannot confirm anything right now i'm afraid, just going on a "Source" over at the Home Theatre Forums :)
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Sure thing :).

Thank you again!
Scott
Shaken, Not Stirred
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by Shaken, Not Stirred »

MLAM wrote:
Markgway wrote:Are the titles still anamorphic or letterboxed?
Titles are indeed still anamorphic, I don't mean to sound a bit rude here but its fairly obvious isn't it? :D It's just window boxed

Any others you want me to do, I recall you mentioning On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

@Brad, how do you mean more cropping? Virtually no cropping on this Film
Hey, I'm new to the forum, but thanks for doing these Screen Comparisons. Do you think in future you could do either Diamonds Are Forever or You Only Live Twice?
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

Shaken, Not Stirred wrote:Hey, I'm new to the forum, but thanks for doing these Screen Comparisons. Do you think in future you could do either Diamonds Are Forever or You Only Live Twice?
Hey, are you over from the MI6 forums by any chance? ;)

If I have time then I shall do these but I think On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the one coming next unless Markgway don't want to see it anymore :P
Shaken, Not Stirred
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by Shaken, Not Stirred »

MLAM wrote:
Shaken, Not Stirred wrote:Hey, I'm new to the forum, but thanks for doing these Screen Comparisons. Do you think in future you could do either Diamonds Are Forever or You Only Live Twice?
Hey, are you over from the MI6 forums by any chance? ;)

If I have time then I shall do these but I think On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the one coming next unless Markgway don't want to see it anymore :P
Yep, thats me. :P Theres no hurry, thanks for taking the time to do this.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Welcome to the forum, an appropriate username considering this is the Bond thread ;)
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Yes welcome, plus very nice signature, loved her in Sin City, and she was cute in 2 Fast 2 Furious :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, I'd still like to see OHMSS. :)

And MLAM, I wasn't sure what the effect of windowboxing on 16:9 would look like, so I had to ask. It's only obvious once you know what to look for and thankfully now I do.
MLAM
Jade Tiger

Post by MLAM »

Markgway wrote:Yeah, I'd still like to see OHMSS. :)

And MLAM, I wasn't sure what the effect of windowboxing on 16:9 would look like, so I had to ask. It's only obvious once you know what to look for and thankfully now I do.
Ok, that will be the next one coming up soon.

Ok point taken, didn't mean to sound cocky or anything back there :), I don't know if you have the Thunderball SE DVD or not but the credit sequence for that DVD is Windowboxed too :)