Iron Fisted Monk: HKL vs HK Vidéo vs FOX

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Iron Fisted Monk: HKL vs HK Vidéo vs FOX

Post by tom2681 »

Note: the rape scene is uncut on the HK Vidéo DVD.
Probably uncut on the FOX as well.

HKL:

HKV:

FOX:

It may seem like the HKV is heavily cropped, but I think that they've used a different print for the opening titles. It's much sharper, though.
The FOX is perfectly balanced, with no sign of contrast boosting.

HKL:

HKV:

FOX:

OK. I'm sure the HKL looks exactly like it's supposed to look, but the HKV looks absolutely awesome in this scene. The orange tint gives it some kind of surreal appearance.
Note that the HKL is horizontally stretched, and the HKV is vertically stretched. :lol:
The FOX looks great but the colours are probably wrong (for a scene that was shot in the evening).

Minute 67.
HKL:

HKV:

FOX:

One looks green, the other looks red. The HKL might be a bit brighter.
FOX wins. No contest.

Minute 81.
HKL:

HKV:

FOX:

The HKL is a bit sharper.
FOX looks great.

Minute 36.
HKL:

HKV:

FOX:

Annoying horizonal stretching on the HKL once again.
Subs are simplified on the HKV, dumbed-down on the HKL.

Overall, I know that the HKL looks best but I don't think I'll watch it again because:
-The colours are washed-out.
-It's cut.
-It's got a remix.
-It's horizontally stretched.

The FOX is probably the best available version right now.
Last edited by tom2681 on 02 Jun 2006, 00:15, edited 2 times in total.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

The HKL looks vastly superior to the HKVidéo. Even you will have to admit that, Tom. The only reason they stretch Sammo vertically is, because they wanted him to be as fat as he is nowadays. :D
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

As I said:
Overall, I know that the HKL looks best
:D
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

So, the HKL is cut then? If so, then fucking BBFC nazis. I am so fucking sick of your British nanny state government. Yeah, let's violate an artist's freedom of expression just so that IMPRESSIONABLE YOUTH won't copy what's on screen.

"WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN." Thanks Mrs. Lovejoy's pommy cousin.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

There is a funny rape scene in this movie (yes, it's meant to be a comedic scene) and it's cut by at least one minute in the HKL.

What's funny in that scene is the juxtaposition of a horrible rape and a comedic exchange in the next room, which creates a weird and absurd atmosphere.

Apparently the BBFC can't understand that. :lol:
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Well, let me say that the film also works without the scene. It's still a shame though that it had to be cut.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Aren't there 2 rape scenes?
I've seen the uncut version. I'd hardly call the rapes comedic. :? Its' more graphic in its uncut version but its the juxtapasition of rape and the comedic scene which is disturbing.
A few of Sammo's early films (eg Magnificent Butcher) leave me feeling like that.
I agree its a shame the HKL is cut, though the BBFC didnt cut it because they thought people would "copy" the rape :lol:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I would not mention rape around Mark, it may give him ideas. :wink:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, I'm gonna hire some guys to ass fuck you Eva.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Fox caps originally posted here. See Tom's first post.
Last edited by Markgway on 02 Jun 2006, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Mark, how's the mono?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Thanks, Mark.
*Updating comparison.*
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

No contest IVL Fortune Star Remaster.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I would not mention rape around Mark, it may give him ideas. :wink:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the joke?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:Mark, how's the mono?
Seemed fine to me, but I'm no audiophile.
No contest IVL Fortune Star Remaster.
It's Fox, not IVL.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:If so, then fucking BBFC nazis. I am so fucking sick of your British nanny state government. Yeah, let's violate an artist's freedom of expression just so that IMPRESSIONABLE YOUTH won't copy what's on screen.
No offence Eva but get over it. I get so BORED of people moaning about the BBFC. The MPAA are just as bad at giving crazy ratings but no one seems to care.

They are so much more lenient than they ever have been but no one bothers to mention that. You never hear people dissing the MPAA (who I'm sure cut films too), the OFLC, the French censors (if they never cut films then what are they there for?).

The fact is the film is uncut elsewhere in a decent form so big deal it's cut in the UK.

That said oddly I agree here as it's a cut 18, of all the ratings 18 should be left uncut. Still I'm not going to constantly bitch out it, was my point.
Markgway wrote:It's Fox, not IVL.
Good point but I've been thinking it's really Fortune Star and in the case of IVL + Spectrum (Korea) & Joy Sales too, probably.

None of them change what FS give them so to call it by the Fox/IVL name is a bit misleading. In the case of HKL's FS DVDs then yes they should stay as HKL as they have changed what FS have given them.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:None of them change what FS give them so to call it by the Fox/IVL name is a bit misleading.
Not true; the HKL Wheels on Meals is different to the Spectrum despite coming from the same remastered print source. Sometimes distributors can affect changes and unless someone posts caps from any of the Asian releases we won't know if that's the case here. Best not to assume when it comes to HK movies on DVD. 8)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Not true; the HKL Wheels on Meals is different to the Spectrum
"In the case of HKL's FS DVDs then yes they should stay as HKL as they have changed what FS have given them."

:wink:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I missed that, but I still wouldn't be sure that each other release is exactly the same without seeing the evidence.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I think that the reason people don't really moan so much about the MPAA is because they make cuts to films which we don't really know about. As opposed to the BBFC which make cuts to the American cut of the film, so then we can see the difference. That and the BBFC tell us on their website.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

True and True. More reason to bitch about the MPAA then.

The MPAA force so many cuts on director's before they ever get to the final theatrical cut. Most cuts we get are actually the MPAA approved cut, it's easier to use the American cut worldwide.

How many "so called" director's cuts are really, truly director's cut?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't get the joke?
The Shen thing.
No offence Eva but get over it. I get so BORED of people moaning about the BBFC. The MPAA are just as bad at giving crazy ratings but no one seems to care.
Why should I? Becuz of those fuckers I had to import an expensive mainland European release of the Fistful of Dynamite SE.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shouldn't you be more pissed off you had to import at all? It's the R4 distributor you should be annoyed at for having to spend lots of cash importing.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote:
HungFist wrote:Mark, how's the mono?
Seemed fine to me, but I'm no audiophile.
Believe it or not, neither am I. All I want is the original soundtrack that is in sync and doesn't sound like it was recorded inside a bottle. I know it's a lot to ask when it comes FS / FOX...

But thanks. I may consider getting Fox then.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

All I can say is that I had no problems with the Fox release.