The HD News & Technology Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:It's a shame as both formats have lots of potential. I think it's because the world is going elsewhere with music. MP3 for example.
I like to rip my albums to MP3 so that I can play them on my PC without having to go and find the album (lazy, yes, but also there is strange sound distortion when playing a CD on my PC, so MP3s get rid of that), and also to transfer the songs to my PSP to listen to out and about.

Another thing is, to take full advantage of a DVD-A/SACD, you need to sit down for its entirety, sat in the right place to correctly hear the surround sound experience, etc. whereas I prefer to do what I want whilst the music is playing.

But yeah, they've had so little advertising, etc. it's no wonder they haven't gotten anywhere.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I tend to do both but mainly listen to music while I'm doing something else. I've sat down (but only part) of War of the Worlds like I would a movie.

I've also had other DVD-A/SACD discs playing while I'm doing stuff in my bedroom but yes like movies to get the most out of them you need to concentrate.

Both MP3 and HD Audio have their separate place, they're two different markets.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

just took the plunge and bought a 40" lcd for £998 :lol:
working class blu-ray fan
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Pfff... £1000 for 40", that's way too expensive IMO.
And my parents wonder why I bought a video-projector. :lol:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Man...
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

lol £1000 for a tv?..... nutter :P

still use the 14" portable tv in my room :D
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Eurgh, not to put down your purchase because you haven't mentioned the manufacturer saltysam, but in my experience, 40 inches of LCD = blurry mess. :(
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

IronMonkey wrote:Eurgh, not to put down your purchase because you haven't mentioned the manufacturer saltysam, but in my experience, 40 inches of LCD = blurry mess. :(
a friend has the same tv,paid £1600 for it,it's a samsung.he has his dvd player through component and the picture looks stunning.i'll do the same &also run x-box 360 through the vga,sky through rgb scart and eventually sky hd through hdmi. :)
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Sky HD = complete waste of money.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

IronMonkey wrote:Sky HD = complete waste of money.
well i'm not going to pay the current price but why is it a waste of money :? why have a hd ready telly if you aren't going to get hd?
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

because its just another consumer scam to get people to buy stuff they already have with just a little bit extra added. a bit like consoles and updated dvds, they're just screwing money out of you...and people fall for it, would be quite funny if it werent so tragic....

sorry but thats just my opinion on such things, very pointless to aste money on stuff you already have, liek the old saying, if it aint broke dont fix it....
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

well i work hard in a quite at times stressful job so forgive me for wasting my hard earned money on a new telly :?
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

was i refering specifically to you? i was talking in general about the crap they come out with to make money and that people fall for, i think you'll find i didnt directly mention you or your buying of a new tv. its just that all this "new" and "cool" stuff that is coming out is just a copy of the stuff people previously have with one or two new features...and a pointless waste of money in pretty much most examples. i've no problem with you buyign a new tv, its your choice, but like i said i was just pointing out the fact that HD is just a copy of what we already have with a slight upgrade to make it look like a new and cool invention...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

everything evolves shen,things improve & get better all the time,it's called progress.do you think manufacturers should stop improving things and call it a day? look at home systems,there was nowt,then vhs & betamax,then laserdisc,then dvd,then recordable dvd,now blu-ray.these manufacturers don't force anyone to buy,i'm sure there are still people using vhs.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

well duh of course things evolve, its the way of nature, but my point is do we really need all this? i mean if they spent as much time on evolving the efficiency of destroying poverty and hunger as they did on creating new technological advances then im sure that we'd practically have no poverty in this world.

i mean its like the games consoles do we really need so many objects that do the same thing? PS1 PS2, Nintendo, Supernintendo nintendo64, gamecube, dreamcast, etc. etc. they all play games and do exactley the same thing just like your multiple releases of dvds of directors cut, special edition, platinum edition, yada yada yada. and people needing to have the latest mobile phone with fucking hundreds of phones out there, god you only need to make a phone call not go into space with it... then you have all your dvd players and tv's and HD and stuff. i mean its just a waste of time and money for me, i still use a PS1, 14" tv, my phone can only send SMS and make phonecalls...and you know it works just as well as all this up-graded crap thats just what i have now with stuff i dont need added onto it.

as for not forcing people to buy it one word: LOL!
not focing? look at the advertzing, they constant blag blag blag of "wow! new product go buy it now!" "kids you MUST have this to be cool" not to mention the whole thing of if you dont haev the newest things its like being a social outcast. the whole drip drip drip of brain washing advertizing is forcing people to buy stuff

like i said it would be funny if it werent so tragic.

im all for progress and evolution, but in this case the amount of so called progress really isnt necessary.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I guess your on the wrong forum then :) we want the best and that is HD at the moment, we dont want crappy VHS tapes for instance.

PS (not that I can afford HD)
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

but for how long, do you actually get my point? HD will only be the "best" for so long then they'll have some new thign that you'll want more, and after spening £1000's on HD you'll go out and buy the new best thing....and spend more £1000's get my point? thats why i see it as tragic. and yeah VHs sucks in terms of quality.

and maybe your right about the wrong forum thing, i just have more important priorities then having the "best" thing when what i have already suffices for my needs

(oh and to clarify i mean "you" in the general sense)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The thing is in 10 years time I imagine things will be vastly different, look back just 10 years ago and it wasnt digital at all :)

I guess its down to how much you want new things, most people want new best things, even if they cannot afford them. As long as you get your moneys worth out of them, its ok by me :) for instance paying 20 pound for a dvd if you get your cash out of it, then thats a worthwhile purchase.

HD looks staggering to me at times, but I just cannot afford to buy all the things needed to get the fulest out of it. If I had say £3000+ spare I would get a HD TV, a HD dvd player and maybe a HD Box, but its not worth it yet for me until prices go wayyy down.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

well my current telly cost me around £600 and has given decent service,if this one does the same i'll consider it value for money.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Now that HD is here, what are you guys doing ? :D

I'm still waiting for Blu-Ray to die, personally.
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm waiting until HD gets a bit cheaper. :D
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

tom2681 wrote:I'm still waiting for Blu-Ray to die, personally.
Same here. It's a Sony invention, so you can guess where its going to go... the scrapheap. Every other competing format they have made has died in the past.

I'm waiting for a second generation HD-DVD player to come out over in the UK. The only problem I have at the moment is that Panasonic are in the Blu-Ray camp. :(

HD-DVD all the way!

Oh, and 24 in 720p rocks! :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

will probably start by getting the hd-dvd add on that's coming for the 360
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

China has chosen....

*Drum roll*

HD-DVD ! :lol:

Die, you Sony bastards with your Mpeg-2 ! Die ! :shock:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pV1nAiRRGnA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pV1nAiRRGnA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
But Betamax was said to be superior to VHS.... :)