The Official Sonny Chiba Thread!

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Official Sonny Chiba Thread!

Post by HungFist »

Marc Walcow is in Japan interviewing Sonny Chiba for upcoming BD release(s?)

- https://twitter.com/outcastmarc/status/ ... 5665736704

He also posted earlier

"Off to Tokyo for a week to interview six people about 11 Japanese films, dating from 1964-1978, all for Blu-ray release in 2017. Maybe more."
- https://twitter.com/outcastmarc/status/ ... 1384844288
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

If those are Arrow BDs we're talking about here, I'm more afraid than excited.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Toei will release the Sonny Chiba TV show The Bodyguard (1974) on DVD May 10, 2017.

6 Disc set, with all 26 episodes.

I've been recording this show from Toei Channel (currently broadcasting) but haven' t watched it yet other than having taken a brief look. Looks cool. Etsuko Shihomi and Jiro Chiba co-star. Reiko Ike and Masashi Ishibashi are in at least one episode.

A couple of brief TV screencaps

Chiba

Jiro Chiba

Etsuko Shihomi

Reiko Ike

Also, I bought a new poster: A Narcotics Agent's Ballad (1972)

One of my favourite Chiba movies.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Synopsis:

Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba is a martial arts "manimal" in the ultra-70's, 100% bizarre mixture of horror, action and sci-fi that is Wolf Guy, one of the rarest and most sought-after cult films produced by Japan's Toei Studio. Based on a manga by Kazumasa Hirai (creator of 8 Man), and never before released outside of Japan, it's a genre film classic waiting to be discovered and a completely unclassifiable trip into phantasmagoric funk.

Chiba stars as Akira Inugami, the only survivor of a clan of ancient werewolves who relies on his supernatural powers to solve mysterious crimes. After a series of bloody killings perpetrated by an unseen force, Inugami uncovers a conspiracy involving a murdered cabaret singer, corrupt politicians, and a plot by the J-CIA to harvest his blood in order to steal his lycanthropic powers! At the same time, Inugami also discovers the truth behind his family heritage, and that he may not be the last of his kind.

Directed by B-movie genius Kazuhiko Yamaguchi (Sister Streetfighter, Wandering Ginza Butterfly, Karate Bear Fighter), Wolf Guy truly is one-of-a-kind, with Chiba in full effect as the part-man, part-wolf, all-karate action hero and a collection of familiar 1970's Toei actors in support. Violence, action, nudity, real surgical footage, and a psychedelic musical score all work together to create an unforgettable trip to the heights of Japanese cinematic weirdness.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition digital transfer
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original uncompressed mono audio
• New optional English subtitle translation
• New video interview with actor Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba
• New video interview with director Kazuhiko Yamaguchi
• New video interview with producer Tatsu Yoshida
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Wes Benscoter

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Patrick Macias and a history of Japanese monster movie mashups by Jasper Sharp.

Release Date: 24th April 2017

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index. ... uct_id=932
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Just ordered two copies of Wolfguy. Gotta support this release! I can give the second copy as bithday present to a Japanese friend.

As anyone who's been reading the Chiba thread knows, this is my favourite Chiba film out the 130 I have seen so far (of course The Street Fighter is almost as good).
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

I preordered it as well, telling myself that even if they screw up the transfer again, it'll still be worth the purchase for the interviews.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Guro Taku wrote:I preordered it as well, telling myself that even if they screw up the transfer again, it'll still be worth the purchase for the interviews.
My thoughts exactly. I'm relatively confident they won't screw it up since a) this one already has a decent HD scan available, and b) I'm pretty sure they learned something from last time.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Looks bonkers,i'll pick this up. Any other english-friendly Chiba blu's about?
working class blu-ray fan
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

saltysam wrote:Looks bonkers,i'll pick this up. Any other english-friendly Chiba blu's about?
Arrow might release something more since they licensed "about a dozen Toei titles" but no announcements yet. Someone said they're going to release a film series by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi, so that should be either Sister Street Fighter, Delinquent Girl Boss, or the Oyama films.

Walcow also interviewed Sadao Nakajima, so perhaps Okinawa Yakuza War?

Bullet Train recently came out in the US.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Marc Walcow (the producer of the Wolfguy BD) summarized the film perfectly.

- https://twitter.com/Patrick_Macias/stat ... 7340416000

That's actually exactly what happened in one of the 35mm screenings I attended a few years ago. A Japanese gent was sitting quietly till the end, but as soon as the ending kanji hit the screen he burst into uncontrolled laughter which echoed in the lobby and stairway for a good while as he left. I didn't go see, but I always imagined there was an ambulance waiting for him at the door that took him to a mental hospital. The film's greatness must have been too much for the poor fella.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Wolfguy transfer looks good so far:
https://twitter.com/outcastmarc/status/ ... 0979369984
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Never before released on video outside of Japan, Doberman Cop is a unique entry in the career of director Kinji Fukasaku.

Pre-order your copy in the UK: http://bit.ly/2nNbK9r
North American pre-orders links should be live soon!
Release Dates: 26/27 June

Released just as the popularity of yakuza movies was waning in Japan, and as the country's film industry was undergoing some fundamental shifts, Doberman Cop is a unique entry in the career of director Kinji Fukasaku (Battles Without Honor and Humanity, Cops vs Thugs), and reunited him with star Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba (The Street Fighter, Wolf Guy) in an American-style crime movie that mixes gunplay and pulp fiction with martial arts and lowbrow comedy to create one of their most entertaining films.

Based on a popular manga by "Buronson" (creator of Fist of the North Star), Doberman Cop follows the fish-out-of-water adventures of Joji Kano (Chiba), a tough-as-nails police officer from Okinawa who arrives in Tokyo's Kabuki-cho nightlife district to investigate the savage murder and mutilation of an island girl who had been working as a prostitute. Initially dismissed as a country bumpkin (complete with straw hat and live pig in tow!), Kano soon proves himself a more savvy detective than the local cops, and a tougher customer than anyone expected. As he probes deeper into the sleazy world of flesh-peddling, talent agency corruption and mob influence, Kano uncovers the shocking truth about the girl, her connection to a yakuza-turned-music manager (Hiroki Matsukata), and a savage serial killer who is burning women alive.

Made to appeal both to the youth market with its biker gangs and popular music, as well as to old-time yakuza movie fans, Doberman Cop is an surprising oddity in Fukasaku's career, his sole film adapted directly from a manga and never before released on video outside of Japan. Featuring Chiba at his charismatic best — channeling a Japanese Dirty Harry while doing all his own stunts — and Fukasaku at his most fun, deftly showcasing the combined talents of his "Piranha Army" stock company of actors and other regular players — Doberman Cop is a classic action comedy and a missing link in 1970's Japanese cinema deserving of rediscovery.

•High Definition digital transfer
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
•Original uncompressed mono audio
•Optional English subtitles
•Beyond the Film: Doberman Cop, a new video appreciation by Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
•New video interview with actor Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba
•New video interview with screenwriter Koji Takada
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s book featuring new writing on the films by Patrick Macias
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

I haven't watched that film since the Toei DVD came out ages ago. A definite upgrade for me if they don't screw up the transfer.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

HungFist wrote:Release Date: 24th April 2017

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index. ... uct_id=932
I was wondering where my copy of WOLF GUY was at and upon checking the Arrow website saw they pushed it back to May 22nd.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I received my Wolfguy BD earlier this week. I haven't had time to re-watch the film (I've seen it 5 times!) but I went through the extras.

The interviews are pretty good, especially the one with very outspoken producer Tatsu Yoshida. I was also amused by the fact that Kazuhiko Yamaguchi didn't even remember Yayoi Watanabe was in the film, and figured they must have hired her because she had big breasts. Chiba for some reason doesn't say anything about Wolfguy and just explains about his acting philosophy. Good stuff, although I wish the interviews were longer (they are just 10-14 min each) and sometimes I wished Arrow had asked tougher questions (something like "how do you think women / actresses were treated in 70s films / on the set?" or "Chiba-san, what did you wife think about you sticking your head between Yayoi Watababe's breasts?"

The booklet is ok. Macias didn't really mention anything that I didn't already know, but maybe that's just because I know too much (hah). The monster movie essay by Sharp doesn't relate so much to Wolfguy.

I was more pleased by the inclusion of the original trailer, which wasn't listed in the early specs.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I received my Doberman Cop BD yesterday and watched the extras. Much like on the Wolfguy BD, the Chiba interview is actually less interesting than the other extras. The (screenwriter) Koji Takada interview is quite excellent with some funny and very honest comments about filmmaking back in the 60s and 70s. The introduction to the film by Sadao Yamane is also excellent, with him explaining how the film industry and distribution system in Japan was changing around the time Doberman Cop was released.

I took a quick glance at the film transfer as well and spotted no evident problems.

The new cover art, for once, is pretty good, better than the original poster actually.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Toei just announced The Gorilla Seven (1975) DVD Box Set for December 6, 2017. 6 disc set, with all 26 episodes.
- https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B074H2WXR6

I wasn't expecting this because Toei just finished broadcasting the series on Toei Channel and it was the old, poor quality TV masters. The DVD set, however, says "digitally remastered version".

I'll be writing more about the series soon. I just finished watching episode 24. Basically, it's a sort of follow up to superior The Bodyguard, with almost the same cast. Stars Sonny Chiba, Etsuko Shihomi, Jiro Chiba, Yuuki Meguro, Isao Natsuyagi, and Akira Nishikino. Teruo Ishii directed a couple of episodes.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Toei will release Shadow Warriors IV and V on DVD. No subs of course. New HD masters.

Shadow Warriors IV: Part 1 (2017/12/06)

Shadow Warriors IV: Part 2 (2018/02/07)

Shadow Warriors V (2018/4/11)

Extras are 12 page booklets for each. In addition, Shadow Warriors IV episodes 1 and 27 will be the original 90 minute versions, not the 45 minute versions seen on TV "during re-broadcastings". Toei says they have recently discovered the original 16mm negatives. I can't check my recordings from Toei Channel from last year right now, but I think those were the 45 min versions as well.
- https://www.toei-video.co.jp/special/kage-no-gundan/
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Sonny Chiba Mega Review Thread

Post by HungFist »

HungFist wrote:As randow news, Toei Channel started airing Blazing Dragnet (1975-1976) this week. The show ran 14 episodes. Stars Chiba, Shihomi, Hayato Tani, Isao Natsuyagi.

Toei DVD set coming 2018/06/13
- http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_dvd. ... id=1018438
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Two excellent Fukasaku films in 4K from Kadokawa

Virus, which came out last December

Legend of the Eight Samurai, coming May 25, 2018

Only Japanese subs.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Just got this beauty

Sister Street Fighter (1974)

Now I've got all my heroines on my wall. Meiko, Reiko and Etsuko!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Arrow has finally announced the long awaited Sister Street Fighter set.

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Sister Street Fighter Collection (Blu-ray)

Genre entertainment of the highest order, the Sister Street Fighter films are a wild ride through some of the best exploitation cinema Japan produced in the 1970s.

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2R7NlO3
Pre-order in the UK via Amazon: https://amzn.to/2rR9HoK
Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: http://bit.ly/2LxoiP6
Release dates: March 4/5

After the massive success of The Street Fighter, the Toei Company decided to build a new karate series around a female lead, and cast a young actress who had appeared in a cameo role alongside her mentor Sonny Chiba. Still a teenager at the time, Etsuko Shihomi exploded onscreen in her first leading role and created a new character type: a tough fighter who was fierce, fearless, good-hearted, and decidedly non-sexualised, a departure from Toei’s typical formula.

In 1974’s Sister Street Fighter, Shihomi is the half-Chinese, half-Japanese Li Koryu, who travels to Yokohama to investigate the disappearance of her brother, an undercover cop. Li discovers a smuggling ring run by a drug lord with his own personal army of deadly fighters, and must penetrate his evil lair with the help of a fellow karate master (played by Chiba). Shihomi and director Kazuhiko Yamaguchi (Wolf Guy) made two additional films based on the same character over the next year, Sister Street Fighter: Hanging By A Thread and Return Of The Sister Street Fighter, with a final unrelated follow-up (Sister Street Fighter: Fifth Level Fist) helmed by original Street Fighter director Shigehiro Ozawa appearing in 1976.

Genre entertainment of the highest order, the Sister Street Fighter films are a wild ride through some of the best exploitation cinema Japan produced in the 1970s. Funky and over-the-top, filled with wall-to-wall action, and featuring some of the craziest villains ever depicted onscreen, the series embodies female power in a male-dominated genre and is a magnificent showcase for the physical presence and martial arts skills of its lead star.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all four films
• Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio
• Original English dubbed audio for Sister Street Fighter
• New optional English subtitle translation for all four films
• English SDH subtitles for the English dub for Sister Street Fighter
• New video interviews with actor Shinichi “Sonny” Chiba, director Kazuhiko Yamaguchi, and screenwriter Masahiro Kakefuda
• Original Japanese theatrical trailers for all four films
• Original U.S. theatrical trailer for Sister Street Fighter, plus original English opening titles to the film
• Original German theatrical trailer for Sister Street Fighter, plus original German opening titles to the film
• Stills and poster gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Kungfubob O’Brien
• FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated booklet featuring writing on the series by Patrick Macias and a new essay on the U.S. release of Toei’s karate films by Chris Poggiali

Finally! Great extras, too! And fine artwork for once! Time to sell my Toei dvds (I mean, time to mentally prepare for selling my Toei dvds once the reviews conform it's a safe thing to do)
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

There is also a set with the Chiba STREET FIGHTER films coming out in the US the same month. From what I understand there is still some uncertainty if they will include the Japanese audio though.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Derrick King / Rock Shock Pop wrote: Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread has been censored by the BBFC to "remove potentially indecent images of a child in accordance with the Protection of Children's Act 1978". No idea if the US version will be cut as well.
- http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/show ... post182449

Can anybody figure out what on earth has BBFC cut from the film? Like most people, I've seen the film several times, and like all people, I have no recollection of what the indecency they talk about could refer to...
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Guro Taku wrote: 22 Dec 2018, 18:19 There is also a set with the Chiba STREET FIGHTER films coming out in the US the same month. From what I understand there is still some uncertainty if they will include the Japanese audio though.
The Japanese tracks were finally confirmed some time ago. However...
KUNG FU BOB / Kung Fu Fandom wrote: DISC THREE: THE STREET FIGHTER’S LAST REVENGE

NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The U.S. Cut (80 Minutes)
NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements Of The U.S. Cut With Standard Definition Inserts From The Original Japanese Cut (84 Minutes) 
- http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfuf ... ent-303339

I'm excited for the release of course, and have pre-ordered mine, but having to watch the far superior Japanese cut with SD inserts isn't exactly great news... especially when in Japan Toei is broadcasting and streaming it in HD.
HungFist wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 14:32
Derrick King / Rock Shock Pop wrote: Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread has been censored by the BBFC to "remove potentially indecent images of a child in accordance with the Protection of Children's Act 1978". No idea if the US version will be cut as well.
- http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/show ... post182449

Can anybody figure out what on earth has BBFC cut from the film? Like most people, I've seen the film several times, and like all people, I have no recollection of what the indecency they talk about could refer to...
So it was picture (possibly Eva Ionesco, I'm not sure) on a wall in one dialogue scene. The photo is visible for about 30 seconds. It's at 26:41-27:11 on my Toei DVD.

Arrow confirmed the scene will be re-framed for the UK release. The US set will be uncensored.