Japanese Splatter and Zombies: Part Deux

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Re: Japanese Splatter and Zombies: Part Deux

Post by Guro Taku »

RAPE ZOMBIE 4 and 5 are available on DVD in Japan since September 3rd.

ImageImage

The two sequels are also offered together as a 2-disc set as RAPE ZOMBIE: FINAL:

Extras are the usual trailer and making of video.

And yes, lots more shaky cam and MS Paint-level CGI. Somehow with this series I'm not too bothered by it, maybe because I'm laughing too hard.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

I didn't expect to see the above mentioned MAI-CHAN'S DAILY LIFE: THE MOVIE anytime soon (still waiting for RAIN FOR THE DEAD since 2011) but not only has the film been completed, there's now a lengthy trailer and you can pre-order the DVD starting today! Shipping will proceed on January 27th.

For both trailer and pre-ordering: http://fetishgirls.jp/mai01.html

I think they nailed the look of Kaede (played by Soaco Roman) and An Koshi as Mai seems alright from the outfits and the acting but I can't help but think they should have dyed her hair. And as expected the trailer doesn't give us any clear idea if they kept the hugely controversial third act atrocity for the movie. Since there's an additional character called Miyako (played by Miyako Akane) in the film it's clear they didn't exactly use the manga as the storyboard so we'll see.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Mai-chan's Daily Life has been selected for the Japan Filmfest Hamburg, which runs from May 27th to May 31st. Director Sato Sado will be in attendance.
Last edited by Guro Taku on 02 Feb 2015, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Did you by any chance post the wrong picture or do I just fail to see how that's connected to Mai-chan's Daily Life?
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

I could find nothing wrong with the picture as it gets displayed for me but to be on the safe side I removed it.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I mean the picture that was showing for me featured a bunch of young Western people walking. I just failed to see how that was related to Mai-chan?
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

That's really odd because that was most definitely not what I posted and what was showing for me even at the time I removed the link. The intended picture can be found at this Facebook site (update from January 25th) and I believe it was originally tweeted by the director.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

I watched MAI-CHAN'S DAILY LIFE yesterday and the first thing that should be noted about it is that with its 50 minute running time it's not even close to being a complete adaptation of the manga. Those who thought the film would make A SERBIAN FILM's infamous scene look tame in comparison will be sorely disappointed to learn that Mai doesn't even get pregnant in the movie let alone... well, you know. The film opens with Mai looking for a job, applying as a maid at the mansion, the characters are introduced (Mai, Kaede, Miyako, the Master) and it's established that Mai has regenerative abilities to the point where she is basically immortal. This leads to a climactic evisceration scene and a follow-up where Miyako finger's Mai's pus-leaking but mostly healed chainsaw wound. And then we get a total non-ending. Seeing how the DVD has the catalogue number MAI01 I can't help but figure this is intended as a sort of "Episode 1" and that further installments are planned/possible if they turn a dime on this one. I'd be curious to see more as the effects work is decent and practical and no shitty CGI blood was noticed by me.

Original manga artist Uziga Waita is prominently featured in the 30 minute making of documentary, which does a decent job of shedding some light on what was clearly a very low budget production.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Thanks for the comments.
Tenchu1998
Jade Tiger

Post by Tenchu1998 »

HungFist wrote:whoa! Seems like the manga artist who wrote the comics, Uziga, is a bit of an underground legend - the kind of person whose works make A Serbian Film look like a kid's flick as suggested by this long blog post...
I don't know. This hype about gore and obscenity and shit-eating and puke-vomiting and guts dissecting and entrails ripping and mangling and gore fucking, gets pretty boring to me really quickly. It feels to me like with 1980s and 1990s Death Metal starting the whole cheesy gore thing (with bands like Autopsy, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, early Gorguts) and then having bands in later 2000 just going at ridiculous lengths to "outdo" the previous bands by making the most ridiculous album covers in some kind of animator software on their computers and trying to outdo the gory lyrics by writing the most childish crap imaginable. It just loses me very quickly. This nihilistic, bed-room imagination shredding paper characters apart, is just pretty much that - shredding a bunch of paper characters apart.

An anime artist such as Suehiro Maruo did a good job continuing on from woodblock painters such as Yoshitoshi, and adding his surreal, bizarre touch to the grotesque. Aesthetically, Suehiro Maruo's works are on a completely different level than that of anything I have seen from this Uziga guy. Suehiro Maruo's drawings are in great detail, and there are many impressions to take in. With this Uziga guy, it just looks like something someone put together on a computer trying to be as "over-the-top" as possible creating fast food in a blender at McDonald's, in my opinion. At this point, I don't find Uziga, or any of these gore people, more offensive than McDonald's.

Maybe Uziga could make album covers for Jig Ai: http://jig-ai.bandcamp.com/album/jig-ai-2
These "underground artists" make the same generic artwork all around, and it's been around for years now.

I personally think 'A Serbian Film' is a good movie, and that the focus on the obscenity of it was overblown. I personally don't really think 'A Serbian Film' was that shocking, just because it is so stylized and absurd cinematically. Although, I wouldn't call it art, personally. And I don't even generally consider it a movie that had to be made. But at least it blended all these themes of obscene sexuality with the political metaphors of being screwed in the most inhumane way possible, in this absurd movie world where reality and fiction blend together in this "postmodern" manner, creating this hellish "new" reality - in the end it's like the main character is dragged into hell by these demons. For "postmodern" movie making, at least it has a sort of artistic point, and it's well acted with solid cinematic qualities. The obscenity in 'A Serbian Film' has a point to it, in my opinion.

My point being, that gore itself means nothing. It's like putting meat in a grinder, or shredding manga books. And people working at butcheries deal with guts all day long. And these days, we are so fed with gore from watching Spike TVs '1000 Ways to Die' and playing gory video games, and watching gory anime, and listening to gory Death Metal and Gore Grind music, and this and that. We're just so desensitized to it, it's like "whatever".

That scene in Michael Haneke's 'The Piano Teacher' where she cuts her vagina in the bathtub disturbed the shit out of me more than any of these ridiculous gore eating shit fucking images. And why? Because that movie was based in reality and thoroughly depicted this psychotic character to the point of really letting me immerse myself into her.
Tenchu1998
Jade Tiger

Post by Tenchu1998 »

But, getting back to Japanese Splatter, Yoshihiro Nishimura is one of the best at doing what he does, in my opinion. 'Tokyo Gore Police' is a brilliant splatter movie, with so many awesome things in it. The movie is just so stylized and refined, and it has great sense of humor, making it really fun and entertaining to watch. And there is a lot of the social commentary on modern Japan that is really funny. Yoshihiro Nishimura knows how to create these theatrical splatter movies that are a lot of fun! Total quality act, this guy.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Well, here's something that just blew my mind (from the back of the MAI-CHAN DVD cover):
And a reminder that even low-budget pratical effects are still better than any number of pixels:
Tenchu1998 wrote:But, getting back to Japanese Splatter, Yoshihiro Nishimura is one of the best at doing what he does, in my opinion. 'Tokyo Gore Police' is a brilliant splatter movie, with so many awesome things in it. The movie is just so stylized and refined, and it has great sense of humor, making it really fun and entertaining to watch. And there is a lot of the social commentary on modern Japan that is really funny. Yoshihiro Nishimura knows how to create these theatrical splatter movies that are a lot of fun!
I loved TOKYO GORE POLICE but have been disappointed by Nishimura's output since, none of which came even close to TGP's greatness. Instead it felt like he saw its success and decided to just rehash it (and its soundtrack) endlessly. That's especially disappointing because his early short films prove he's far more than just a one trick pony. Hopefully his new ninja film will finally see him do something new and interesting again.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Guro Taku wrote:Well, here's something that just blew my mind (from the back of the MAI-CHAN DVD cover):
:lol:

I guess that's somehow logical when Ninja Torakage is rated G (same as Doraemon) despite the pressured blood showers and a bird mutant whose wings are made of severed human hands...

But no, seriously, I never expected to see that!
Guro Taku wrote:
Tenchu1998 wrote:But, getting back to Japanese Splatter, Yoshihiro Nishimura is one of the best at doing what he does, in my opinion. 'Tokyo Gore Police' is a brilliant splatter movie, with so many awesome things in it. The movie is just so stylized and refined, and it has great sense of humor, making it really fun and entertaining to watch. And there is a lot of the social commentary on modern Japan that is really funny. Yoshihiro Nishimura knows how to create these theatrical splatter movies that are a lot of fun!
I loved TOKYO GORE POLICE but have been disappointed by Nishimura's output since, none of which came even close to TGP's greatness. Instead it felt like he saw its success and decided to just rehash it (and its soundtrack) endlessly. That's especially disappointing because his early short films prove he's far more than just a one trick pony. Hopefully his new ninja film will finally see him do something new and interesting again.
Quite agreed, although I loved Vampire Girl. Helldriver is a love/hate film. When I'm able to watch it in a very uncritical mood it's a blast, but usually I just keep thinking how much better it would be if you could edit out all the CGI (or better yet, have practical effects there) and some other things as well.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Lust of the Dead 4 (aka Rape Zombie 4) is coming out in the US on subtitled DVD from Tokyo Shock on May 12th, with Lust of the Dead 5 (aka Rape Zombie 5) following on June 23rd.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Guro Taku wrote:Lust of the Dead 4 (aka Rape Zombie 4) is coming out in the US on subtitled DVD from Tokyo Shock on May 12th, with Lust of the Dead 5 (aka Rape Zombie 5) following on June 23rd.
Yeah, that didn't happen. Currently Lust of the Dead 4 is set to be released in the US on March 1st 2016! That's quite the delay, even for Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Some additional material was shot for a Director's Cut version of MAI-CHAN'S DAILY LIFE: THE MOVIE. The German DVD/BD release was delayed because of this and will include both versions of the film when it comes out in late 2015 or early 2016.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The gorgeous world of Japanese gore
- http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/201 ... nese-gore/
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Naoyuki Tomomatsu has already made another zombie flick, this one entitled ROMANCE OF THE DEAD (恋愛死体). Looks like it had its premiere last September and seems closer to BITE ME IF YOU LOVE ME than the LUST OF THE DEAD series.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btl6s6PBA_U

Effects look practical but the stinger at the end where Ann Koshi (of MAI-CHAN'S DAILY LIFE and, uh, ANAL LESBIAN ENEMAS AND PISSING) chews the guy's pixellated cock off has the usual Horrible CGI Blood Spurts (TM).
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I posted a few words about Nobuhiro Yamashita's Rotting Woman (1997) in the Yamashita thread:
- https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 58#p176458

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Guro Taku wrote:Well, here's something that just blew my mind (from the back of the MAI-CHAN DVD cover):
The director's cut carries an R18 rating and seems to be 9 minutes longer.

Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

The German release of Mai-chan, which will include both versions (R-15 and R-18) of the film, will come out on June 8th. Midori Impuls have recently posted the cover art for their initial, limited to 500 copies pressing:

These will all come with a postcard signed by director Sade Sato.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

US release of Mai-chan from Redemption is dated for September 20th.

Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Bloody Chainsaw Girl (血まみれスケバンチェーンソー) dir. Hiroki Yamaguchi, 2016

OK, this one's just sad. Hiroki Yamaguchi made a rather interesting movie with Hellevator - The Bottled Fools (グシャノビンヅメ) back in 2004 only to disappear afterwards. Every couple of years I check if he's made a new film and it turns out he's now directing shlock like this...

Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjppLt6lwXw
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48uGoxLv_24

BD/DVD release was on June 22nd. It's also on VOD if you absolutely can't wait to see it.

It's based on a manga (of course) by Rei Mikamoto that has a total of 11 volumes available so people must like it.

Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Massacre Video will release Tamakichi Anaru's WOMEN'S FLESH: MY RED GUTS on DVD in the US on December 13th.

Self-loathing and depression set in as a young housewife's life is ripped apart after her husband leaves her for another woman. Pure hatred begins as the housewife starts to self-mutilate to cope with her loss. Toothbrushes, forks, and knifes are all featured in this bizarre tale of sorrow and violence.

I watched this years ago and can't remember much of it. Struck me as mostly a fetish video but I'll give it another shot.

Massacre Video will also release two other Tamakichi Anaru flicks with the terrible pseudo-snuff of TUMBLING DOLL OF FLESH (aka NIKU DARUMA and PSYCHO: THE SNUFF REELS) and the rather amusing SUICIDE DOLLS, an anthology about women killing themselves, which I find memorable mainly for the final segment, which is all done with puppets and scored with death metal.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Thankfully I'm old enough not to feel any temptation to try and watch any of those. But it is interesting that films like that are getting official US releases. Especially TUMBLING DOLL OF FLESH based on what I've read about it. Thinking about it from today's perspective, it's sometimes hard to believe movies like that exist.