Bruce Lee in New Guinea (Uncut)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Bruce Lee in New Guinea (Uncut)

Post by Markgway »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CwWhpNBTG0

Some kind soul has uploaded the rare uncut version of this dopey trash onto You Tube.

Er, enjoy... ;)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Bruce Lee in New Guinea (Uncut)

Post by Markgway »

150 views and not one 'thank you'. :(
Tenchu1998
Jade Tiger

Post by Tenchu1998 »

Well, technically, the movie is titled 'Bruce Li in New Guinea', and not so much Lee as in the Bruce Lee from 'Enter the Dragon'. Although, I would think it is safe to assume that the 'Bruce Li' title is there to have the audience instantly associate the movie with the Bruce Lee actor because Lee and Li sound pretty much the same when you pronounce them orally.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The title is LEE though...
Tenchu1998
Jade Tiger

Post by Tenchu1998 »

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The on-screen title is LEE and that's what I usually go by.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i had the German dvd of this when i was going through my bruceploitation phase.this is pretty bad
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:i had the German dvd of this when i was going through my bruceploitation phase.this is pretty bad
It's terrible, but like most trash has its fans.
Tenchu1998
Jade Tiger

Post by Tenchu1998 »

Markgway wrote:The on-screen title is LEE and that's what I usually go by.
Ah, I shouldn't have skipped the 3 first minutes of the video.
saltysam wrote:i had the German dvd of this when i was going through my bruceploitation phase.this is pretty bad
Yes, it is. But it's better than 'Game of Death 2', and that's saying nothing.

Poor Bruce; why did they have to exploit his legacy in this disrespectful manner.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Tenchu1998 wrote: Poor Bruce; why did they have to exploit his legacy in this disrespectful manner.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I liked 'Game of Death 2' :D The fights are great.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Tower Of Death is epic exploitation movie making.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Tower of Death is so crap it's essential.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Tower Of Death is one of Lee's best films!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Its also a much more fun film (overall) than Game of Death 1 :) The only good bits about GoD are the locker room fight and the last 20 minutes. Tower of Death has so many great fighters, HJL, Lee Hoi San etc and Kim Tae Jung is pretty good himself.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:Tower Of Death is one of Lee's best films!
:lol:
Tenchu1998
Jade Tiger

Post by Tenchu1998 »

I think 'Tower of Death' is lazier than 'Game of Death' in the sense that they had Bruce Lee die halfway into the movie so that they wouldn't have to cut in random Bruce Lee clips into the movie anymore. 'Game of Death' was just an excuse to make a whole movie out of some unfinished footage Bruce Lee had filmed, but at it had him in the movie here and there.
grim_tales wrote:Its also a much more fun film (overall) than Game of Death 1 :) The only good bits about GoD are the locker room fight and the last 20 minutes. Tower of Death has so many great fighters, HJL, Lee Hoi San etc and Kim Tae Jung is pretty good himself.

Yeah, it has got a lot more acrobatic action. But from the point of view of remaining respectful towards Lee's legacy, I think they did a disrespectful thing.

Generally, I think it really was a great tragedy to Kung Fu cinema that Bruce Lee died. It's interesting, because what Lee really attempted, was to create more realistic fighting sequences in the genre, by blending the Chinese Opera tradition of acrobatics with American realism. Of course Lo Wei kept it in the Chinese tradition to stylize the fighting sequences, but with 'Way of the Dragon' and 'Enter the Dragon' when Bruce had more control over the choreography, it is clear that he attempted to portray fighting at a more realistic level. In real life, fights are over pretty quickly, just like in Western gunfights. And you can see the Western movie influence on Lee, in how he built it up to add that tension to it, instead of just going right into the dance. The tension between the 2 opponents is really the most important thing - try sensing one another out, feeling the fear and overcoming it, focusing. It's the most nerve wracking part. And then the one on one fighting finishes off very quickly.

Although, Kung Fu movies are acrobatic because that tradition is based around the movements of Chinese opera, and therefore they are beautiful and poetic in their choreography. I only mean it would've been interesting to see where Bruce Lee would've taken it, had he still been alive today.

I think 'Only God Forgives' managed to expand upon this, with the fighting sequence between Julian and Chang. I am pretty sure that if Bruce Lee was alive today, he would've loved that fighting sequence. It builds up tension just like a Western gunfight, and the actual fight is short and brutal as hell, just like in real life. But, cinematically you can make it poetic and beautiful with great cinematography, while having the choreography itself remain brutal.

I think a very good thing that was done in Wong kar Wai's 'The Grandmaster', was the use of slow-motion and sensual sensitivity. Of course, that movie is stylized as hell, with some really over-the-top action sequences. But, at the same time, it does have many moments where the philosophical aspects of Kung Fu is being contemplated where the visuals and sound really reflect that, and the build-ups are done really well. I really wished Wong Kar Wai would've done a realistic 'Grandmaster' movie to go with the drama/romance element - it had a lot of potential to go in this direction.

Not that I am talking down on 'The Grandmaster' - I like it a lot, actually. It's a weird dynamic with that movie, for me, because the actual fighting scenes is what I like the least about it while not actually disliking them.