Feel like I'm losing my passion for cinema :( Now what?

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Feel like I'm losing my passion for cinema :( Now what?

Post by Markgway »

I keep meaning to try Shingster's podcasts (are you on them all?) -- I promise I will very soon.

Actually, it might be worth you starting a dedicated thread, as most posts get lost in these anything goes threads...
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

All but one or two I'm afraid! :D I get all self conscious about my work and don't like to draw attention to it at all really beyond the odd post every now and then, they're also reasonably long pods (90-120min on average) coming out every 2-3 weeks so I feel like it's a bit of a commitment to ask of folk if I started a thread on it!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

the only pod i know of featured in a patsy kensit advert and in a movie titled iotbs :)
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm going to try and make it my resolution for the year to get back into movies again, or failing that, just enjoy things more :D I just find it hard to relax and find time to watch anything these days :?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote: I just find it hard to relax and find time to watch anything these days :?
That's not necessarily a bad thing as not having time to sit and watch a movie must mean you are busy in other areas of your life.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Possibly, I just find that sad in a way. I moved out but feel drained of joy and energy (if I ever had any)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Possibly, I just find that sad in a way. I moved out but feel drained of joy and energy (if I ever had any)
You should talk to someone.

Movies are great but they're not a substitute for people.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Post by Masterofoneinchpunch »

Mo wrote:I've been down many times in life. You just have to pick yourself up. And when that fails, you have to pick yourself up from that. I hate pretty much every person I meet, but I still try to be friendly to everybody. It's very tough to do. Often times I wonder what's the point of having a sucky life? Why should I get up today? ...
I hope we are some of the exceptions Mo :D. I tend to take the view that most people are OK (given statistics I think this is probable.) But I will go the "extra mile" for friends and family (I can be aloof to non-friends though, I have a partial shy nature and partial aloof which is not always the greatest combination). I think it is important to try to improve your life via studying, school, exercise, martial arts (if you are into them) etc... to get above the said suckyness (that word is getting flag as a misspelling).
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Markgway wrote:
grim_tales wrote:Possibly, I just find that sad in a way. I moved out but feel drained of joy and energy (if I ever had any)
You should talk to someone.

Movies are great but they're not a substitute for people.
I'll ditto this and add the Internet is great but also not a substitute for people. :)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Mo wrote:I have to disagree with that last post. Internet people are a great substitute. I don't know people in real life who are knowledgable about kung fu movies. I probably would have lost interest in the genre if I had nobody to talk kung fu with. I would be one depressed evil mofo if I couldn't talk kung fu. I still ask most everyone I meet if they watch kung fu. I won't give up! :banghead:
Hah, I can imagine you're the guy who would ask a girl The Street Fighter, Return of the Street Fighter and Sister Street Sighter triple feature on first date. Or maybe The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Return to the 36th Chamber and Disciples of the 36th Chamber :D

Note: I took my girlfriend to see Titanic 3D on first date*. I still haven't shown her any Sonny Chiba films :lol:

Actually the first film we saw together was Shutter Island, but as a result (?) I didn't see her for two years. Next time I chose more wisely :lol:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'd love to find a girl who likes Asian films, I did know a girl once who was into Asian/Korean cinema I think (some well known darker stuff) :)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Well, after almost three years of dating I finally showed my girlfriend some pinky violence movies during the Christmas vacation. She's a typical Japanese girl born in the 1990s in the sense that she grew up watching sterile television dramas and never saw boobs in a Japanese movie before.

I wanted to start off easy, so I chose Delinquent Girl Boss: Worthess to Confess (1971) which puts a lot of emphasis on comedy and melodrama and is quite restrained with sex and violence. She liked it and thought Reiko Oshida was cute!

The next day I showed her Criminal Woman: Killing Melody (1973), which packs more sex and violence (and a chainsaw scene) but is quite a well made girl gang / revenge movie. She actually liked it even more. She said she's never seen such badass girls in Japanese cinema before. To be honest though, Criminal Woman is quite a bit less sexist than some other films in the genre despite the copious amounts of sex and nudity.

My plan was to go all the way next with Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom (1973) but we ended up not having enough time for it. Oh well, maybe next time. And should probably show her some films in the Sukeban series.

I don't think I'm gonna try some of the sleaziest or more experimental stuff, though. I'm just so happy she doesn't object to my odd films. A Chinese girl I once dated freaked out when she saw (a photo of) my Japanese exploitation film collection :lol: Because of that I even hired a friend to hide a few of the more risque titles from my collection before I took my current girlfriend to Finland for the first time :lol: Turned out it wasn't necessary :lol:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

So Rapeman isn't your ideal date movie?
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Mo wrote:I have to disagree with that last post. Internet people are a great substitute. I don't know people in real life who are knowledgable about kung fu movies. I probably would have lost interest in the genre if I had nobody to talk kung fu with. I would be one depressed evil mofo if I couldn't talk kung fu. I still ask most everyone I meet if they watch kung fu. I won't give up! :banghead:
Actually since we are human we really do need to have a bit of face-to-face stimuli with people. It actually is healthy for us. Hence the "no substitute" of what I wrote (and I will stand by that.) But I agree that Internet people are a complement for what you wrote. I also know few people who are knowledgeable about the films I am (imagine me talking about my silent movie knowledge with people much less kung fu.) Though this is one reason I tend to branch out quite a bit so I can work movie conversation in with a variety of folks.

Of course when you known for being a movie buff you get the dreaded "you haven't seen that" syndrome which actually drives me a bit much. You can just imagine the movies that people have said this to me. Some I agree with, some I just get a Client Eastwood link twitch and carry on with a different subject.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Mo wrote:I agree you do need a bit of face to face with real people, a very little bit. Then when they leave I can watch kf movies :P
I can actually imagine you getting edgy if someone is talking to you too long and you are already zoned out thinking about what next kung fu film you are going to watch.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Sometimes I feel like that when someone speaks to me too long as well, specifically when its a boring conversation that doesnt go anywhere or I dont care about, or takes far too long to get to the point.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote:So Rapeman isn't your ideal date movie?
Well, it is a romantic drama/comedy, so...

[and yeah, I'm not kidding. It's been a while since I saw it, but if I recall correctly it's about a high school teacher who is helping out his students with their daily problems at daytime, is dating a nice reporter woman after work and righting wrongs by penetrating only evil women at night].

That being said, I still wouldn't recommend it for the first date. Might make the girl a bit cautious... although that's just stupid. I mean, if you take her to see Batman is she gonna think you're some looney who wants to dress up as a bat and have sex with catwoman? :lol:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

You're a scary guy, Hung...
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

HungFist wrote:... if you take her to see Batman is she gonna think you're some looney who wants to dress up as a bat and have sex with catwoman? :lol:
Something wrong with that?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Well Grim,has your libido returned yet ;)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i've been keeping track this year of the films i've watched through icheckmovies. Surprised to see i've managed 203 so far and we are still in August :) That's a lot,lot more than previous years where i reckon i'd be nearer half that.Hope to make 300 before the years out,will be tight what with holidays,xmas etc coming up.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Well, I did watch Kill Bill a few days back. Thats a start ;)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:Well, I did watch Kill Bill a few days back. Thats a start ;)
how many do you reckon you've watched this year?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hmm.. I dunno :? Between 5 and 10 or so maybe (cant remember as I havent kept a a log), pretty pathetic really