Japanese Splatter and Zombies: Part Deux

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Japanese Splatter and Zombies: Part Deux

Post by HungFist »

Sushi Typhoon (R.I.P. for now) has its own thread, as do many individual films, this thread is to cover the ones that didn't warrant a thread of their own (read: Hung was too lazy to start a new thread).

Below is a list of old threads:

Dead Sushi
Gothic and Lolita Psycho
Gothic Lolita Battle Bear
Grotesque
Hard Revenge Milly
Helldriver
Henge
Meatball Machine DVD Comparison
Red Tears
RoboGeisha
Samurai Princess
Sushi Typhoon
Tokyo Gore Police DVD Comparison
Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl DVD review + comparison
Yakuza Weapon
Zombie Ass
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Japanese Zombies and Splatter: Part Deux

Post by HungFist »

Sabu's Miss Zombie R2J 2014/01/22

This toured festivals to some extent, but had minimal release in Japan. Played in only four theaters nation wide according to the website.

Site:
http://www.miss-zombie.com/

Yoshihiro Nishimura, Naoya Tashiro and Maeli Makuno's omnibus movie Zombie TV. Features 11 short stories. Direct to BD/DVD release, though it had a festival screening in Australia. Japanese BD and DVD December 18, 2013

Image Image
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Bishop Koyama's Rain for the Dead (Ame agari no kimi). See the trailer, which starts a bit clumsy, but becomes very atmospheric towards the end.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWf0SN3DME

Site:
http://www.rainforthedead.com/index.html

The film was completed in 2012, planned for 2013 release, but I don't think it ever played anywhere. Perhaps they still struggle to organize theatrical distribution for it (which is common for Japanese independent movies... even big names like Yoshihiro Nishimura have to fight to get their films to theaters in Japan).

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

From last winter's Yubari Fanta...

Naked Sister (2012)
Up and coming splatter director Naoya Tashiro’s 20 minute nunsploitation film. The film opens with two naked women making love in the shower until one of them rips the other girl’s guts out! Obviously director Tashiro knows what he’s doing. The film then proceeds to a topless nun (Risa Kichise) crucifying a man. The well made, though unspectacular eroguro film is hurt by some self-ironic postmodernism towards the end, but not as badly as many other recent genre films.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-VnfLAuTPM

Oh boy was the Yubari screening a lot of fun with Ms. Kichise in presence! It was quite obvious from the red sweater she was wearing that A) she wasn't wearing anything under it, and B) she wasn't gonna wear that for long either.

There's a scene in the film where she either kills or maims (I can't remember) a man with her breasts. Of course this scene had to be replicated in front of the audience, with a male victim (and his glasses flying through the air) getting to witness the power of boobs hitting face.
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

Daisuke Yamanouchi (RED ROOM, MUZAN E) seems to have made a return to non-AV directing earlier this year with ZOMBIE BRIDE.

As far as I can tell, Yamanouchi spent the last decade directing softcore and hardcore/AV films. I am quite fond of a few of his early splatter movies: both RED ROOM films, the hilariously nihilistic GIRL HELL 1999 and especially KYOKO VS YUKI, which I think did what Nishimura and Iguchi now get so much attention and credit for way earlier and possibly much better.

As a result I have some curiosity about ZOMBIE BRIDE but without a trailer to give me an idea what to expect I hesitate to blind buy the disc. The R-15 also limits my enthusiasm somewhat, as does his uninspired screenplay for Katsuya Matsumura's ALL NIGHT LONG 誰でもよかった in 2009.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Heard about this before and had a laugh because I thought it said ゾンビフライド (Zombie Fried).

I saw the dvd at rental store some months ago. I might pick it up sometime when I have time - which probably isn't anytime soon, though. I didn't know Yamanouchi's been doing AV. In fact, I haven't seen any of his films. But you got me interested in Kyoko vs. Yuki.

On the other news: John Cairns' coming of age zombie movie Schoolgirl Apocalypse has become available on official DVD-R via Amazon. The reviews have actually been quite good on this.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6B21VGASE

Site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6B21VGASE

The director's blog is also worth checking (well, would be if it worked). I remember reading some pretty interesting behind the scenes stories on filmmaking there.
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

Naoyuki Tomomatsu has been a personal hero of mine ever since he revealed to Fangoria magazine many years ago that shooting STACY (2001) was tough because in addition to long hours on set he was busy as hell stalking his ex-wife.

Tomomatsu struck gold in 2012 with RAPE ZOMBIE: LUST OF THE DEAD and in 2013 he followed that up with two sequels.

The entire trilogy was licensed by Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock for American release and, after the usual delays, the first part is finally out under the shortened and less controversial title of LUST OF THE DEAD. The second part is supposed to follow next February, though I suspect April/May are more realistic.

Trailer for RAPE ZOMBIE: http://ictv-dread-ec.indieclicktv.com/p ... player.swf

Trailer for RAPE ZOMBIE 2-3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I72fSYVe0Sw
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Japanese Splatter and Zombies: Part Deux

Post by HungFist »

Alright, he's my personal hero now, too :lol:

I know the films, but the amount of CGI blood and shaky cam in the trailers kept me at bay. Have you see any of the films?

I do rather like Bite Me if You Love Me. The man's got an eye for romance splatter. Same in Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl, too.

(I edited the picture in your post a bit... it was too big to fit the screen on 1366 resolution... original pic: http://i43.tinypic.com/219djj7.jpg)
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

HungFist wrote:I know the films, but the amount of CGI blood and shaky cam in the trailers kept me at bay. Have you see any of the films?
I've seen the first one but decided to wait for the subtitled versions for the two sequels. Tomomatsu's films tend to be extremely dialogue-heavy, though you wouldn't believe it from the cover artwork. :lol: He tends to throw in absurd philosophical rants for most of his films. In RAPE ZOMBIE there is a whole part of the film where the concept of virgin birth throughout the world religions is discussed.

I suspect we have similar stances when it comes to CGI and shaky cam. There is a bit of that in RAPE ZOMBIE but also some great, low-budget practical effects. I think the film is entertaining enough to overlook its digital sins.
HungFist wrote:I do rather like Bite Me if You Love Me. The man's got an eye for romance splatter. Same in Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl, too.
Yes! I do love BITE ME IF YOU LOVE ME. Fat Japanese Jason Voorhees sex will be forever burned into my soul.

Some of Tomomatsu's older films are also well worth a look, especially EAT THE SCHOOLGIRL (コギャル喰い 大阪テレクラ編, 1997), which is completely free of the humor that marks his current output. It's one of the grimmest damn films I have seen out of Japan.

The film's poster artwork comes courtesy of ero-guro mangaka Shintaro Kago (http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~adc52520/) and I am proud to say that I bought the original and have it hanging framed in my apartment.

Other films by Tomomatsu that I enjoyed and which deserve more attention:

At the Mercy of the Darkness: Ayano's Bizarre Delusions (闇のまにまに:人妻・彩乃の不貞な妄想, 2009). The cover makes it mostly look like a softcore flick but here's a screenshot to prove that it does indeed bring the splatter:

The film is about a young woman trapped in a messed up relationship who starts suffering from disturbing visions while gruesome dismemberment murders are happening around Tokyo. Good stuff!

Ero Kowai Kaidan Vol. 1: Iguana Woman (エロ怖い怪談 第壱之怪 イグアナ女, 2010) and Ero Kowai Kaidan Vol. 2: Poltergeist (エロ怖い怪談 第弐之怪 ポルターガイスト, 2010). The second volume does poltergeist rape better than any of those PARANORMAL ACTIVITY films:

I also enjoyed RED SWORD (本当はエロいグリム童話 レッド・スウォード, 2012) and his two MAIDROID films (アイ 高感度センサー搭載 メイドロイド, 2009 & メイドロイド VS ホストロイド軍団, 2010) but those don't qualify as either zombie or splatter. EROTIBOT (華麗なるエロ神家の一族, 2011), SEX AND ONMYOJI (本当はエロい日本の裏伝奇 泡姫陰陽師,2012), VAMPIRE SEX DIARIES (禁じられた旋律-処女にナニが起こったか, 2011)I suggest you avoid. I don't mind cheap and crappy if entertainment and outrageousness is provided but I don't excuse being boring as hell.
Last edited by kemushi on 24 Nov 2013, 14:57, edited 3 times in total.
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

HungFist wrote:Alright, he's my personal hero now, too :lol:
He didn't stop being awesome in 2001, though. The following comes from his own personal website, via twitchfilm:
He was arrested for opening a Pink Theater Strip Show and charged with aiding and abetting. He spent 3 days in jail and was fined 100,000 JPY. He was later arrested for "compensated dating" (prostitution) with a 15 year old high school girl and was fined 300,000 JPY and jailed for 10 days. He was also involved in an affair with an AV actress and after he was dumped, he used a credit agency to find her boyfriend's address and sent one of her videos to him and posted personal nude pictures of her on a bulletin board in Shinjuku. He was then served with a restraining order by her parents' lawyer. Despite all of this trouble and two prior convictions he continued his bad habit of dating AV actresses and it seems as though his third strike is coming up. He released another film, Kiss Me or Kill Me: Todokanakutemo aishiteru which seems almost autobiographical. He has three sons, the first from his days working as a host when he had an affair with a prostitute, the second with his wife of five years (which ended in divorce), and the third he fathered with a university girl he met at the screening of STACY.
http://twitchfilm.com/2011/02/only-the- ... roids.html
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Oh man, Tomomatsu is just plain awesome! And Eat the Schoolgirl sound good. The poster art is great!!!! Gotta see if I can track that one down on rental.

A couple of reviews that I've had half-ready since God only knows when, but didn't finalize until now:

Image Image

Zomvideo (2011)

Here’s yet another addition to the hugely popular Japanese direct to video zombie genre. Zomvideo features a small group of office workers who discover old video tapes that instruct them on how to build zombie destruction weapons out of office supplies and survive the zombie apocalypse raging outside.

Zomvideo literally borrows its every idea from movies that preceded it. The film is filled with self-conscious genre film talk, there’s woman in black who’ss a Female Prisoner Scorpion reference (inspired by Love Exposure), and the zombie destruction weapon used near the end is a variation of the lawnmower used in Braindead. Yoshihiro Nishimura’s Helldriver is copied extensively, not to mention Videodrome.

The worst thing about Zomvideo is its post-modern approach, which turns zombie films into a laughing stock because they are “such stupid garbage”. The director has his actors comically overdo every act in order to make sure no one in the audience mistakes this for a serious movie. There is even a zombie character who denies being dead.

Incredibly, though, the film is filled with well done gore effects. Fingers are bitten off, scissors are stack in the eyes, and people are cut in half with chainsaw. The film is full of brutal and disgusting special effects courtesy of Yoshihiro Nishimura’s special effects workshop. Almost everything is handmade, too.

It is hard to say what was the idea behind mixing such “lovely” effects into a film that pisses all over them from the beginning. The film may work for those who love childish pseudo-intellectual comedy and hate horror movies. Genre film fans should avoid it like plague.

The film’s title is a badly translating play on words. In Japanese Zombie is spelled Zonbi. The Japanese language is missing the letter “v”, for which reason “video” is spelled as “bideo”. Zomvideo’s Japanese title, therefore, is Zonbideo.

DVD & BD
Available on DVD and BD in Japan, no subs of course. The screencaps below are from the rental dvd.

Image Image

Bite Me if You Love Me (Kimi wa zonbi ni koi shiteru) (2011)

If there’s one thing wrong about Japanese high school girls, it’s that they don’t usually love zombie films. Naoyuki Tomomatsu’s romantic horror comedy Bite Me if You Love Me brings some fictional hope to school girl hungry zombie film fans.

The film follows Hitomi, who is a high school girl whose greatest passion is zombie movies. Understandably her friends think there’s something wrong with her, but Hitomi doesn’t care about them. She’s determined to find a boyfriend; though not just any guy, but a living dead one.

Zombies are a bit of tricky topic in Japan because the country traditionally buries their dead by cremation. This makes the corpses unable rise from their graves. In Bite Me if You Love Me Hitomi solves the issue by acting quick. She seduces a guy (by waiving her pants in front of his nose), has him fall to his death from the 4th floor, and then brings him back to life with magic powder. As planned, the relationship begins well and even sex is fantastic thanks to post-death stiffness. However, as time passes the couple grow less affectionate. Zombie becomes a celebrity, and Hitomi meets a charming young man with an axe, Jason Yamada.

The previously reviewed Zomvideo was a prime example of despicable post-modern zombie cinema that tries to turn the whole genre into pseudo-intellectual joke. Tomomatsu’s film is much more successful. It’s a humoristic piece as well, but the jokes and irony come from the director’s heart and love for the genre – for the most part. This is a film that acknowledges its exploitative silliness, but nevertheless feasts in it.

In some ways, Bite Me if You Love Me resembles of Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl – a film that Tomomatsu co-directed with the better known gore maestro Yoshihiro Nishimura. Bite Me if You Love Me features some to the charming romance-comedy-splatter that Tomomatsu brought to like Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl, but Bite Me if You Love Me is no doubt the shabbier productiob of the two, from production values to occasionally terrible soundtrack and poor acting. The middle third also tries to be a bit too clever – and fails at it.

Bite Me if You Love Me is a straight to video production as could be expected. Despite its flaws it stands as one of the better films in its genre, coming with some personality and fun ideas. Recommended (with reservations) for viewers with a taste for both zombie films and high school girls. Gore aficionados will also be pleased to see the film’s relatively modest splatter is all hand-made.

DVD
R2J without subs. The DVD was rental exclusive for a while, but has since been released on retail disc also. Caps from the rental DVD.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist wrote: Yoshihiro Nishimura, Naoya Tashiro and Maeli Makuno's omnibus movie Zombie TV. Features 11 short stories. Direct to BD/DVD release, though it had a festival screening in Australia. Japanese BD and DVD December 18, 2013

Image Image
Trailer and info:
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/11/japans-sp ... ie-tv.html
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

I wish Nishimura would return to feature film directing.

In an interview (also on twitch, 2008, http://twitchfilm.com/2008/10/yoshi-nis ... rview.html) he revealed plans to turn Go Nagai's VIOLENCE JACK manga into a movie. Now I have no idea how he'd go about doing that (he'd probably have to pick a stand-alone story like the anime OVAs did) but I'd be interested in seeing the results. Since it's been 5 years and no further mention anywhere of this project, in all likelihood things didn't work out.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

kemushi wrote:I have some curiosity about ZOMBIE BRIDE but without a trailer to give me an idea what to expect I hesitate to blind buy the disc. The R-15 also limits my enthusiasm somewhat, as does his uninspired screenplay for Katsuya Matsumura's ALL NIGHT LONG 誰でもよかった in 2009.
I suggest you save your money. I watched the film last night - well, watched the first third and then fast forwarded the rest. It's a rather odd film where zombies live in the society among humans and one lady even runs a bar offering zombie snacks (ears and other bodyparts). Unfortunately, though, the gore and horror only make a fraction of the film. Most of the film consists of two zombie ladies (read: two ladies with pale face) talking about their lives and how they became zombies, and riding bicycles in bright daylight. All this sounds far more interesting and strange than it really is. The film's 60 second trailer packs probably 70% of all the gore found in the 75 minute film. There's a couple of soft core sex scenes, too. On the positive side, no CGI to be found.

Screencaps

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Zombie TV was a major disappointment. 11 episodes, none of them especially good. Most of the film is silly comedy, such as zombie idol (Maki Mizui) or two guys trying to touch a female zombie's breasts ("oppai are more important than life!"). Zombie make ups are nice buut gore scenes relatively few. Some fun ideas (e.g. how zombies learned to run) but as a whole it's like a tiresome late night tv program with little of the energy usually associated with Nishimura's works. It is not stated who directed which episode, but the Zombie vs. Cannibal match, which is the film's best part, is obviously by Nishimura.

("this is not special make up effect")

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

SciFi JAPAN TV #16: Zombie TV
"In this episode of SCIFI JAPAN TV, we talk to director Yoshihiro Nishimura about in his new film ZOMBIE TV, a “Monty Python with zombies”, along with his co-directors Naoya Tashiro and Maelie Makuno."
- http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... zombie-tv/
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

More Yamanouchi direct to video stuff coming: Half Zombie: Dead or Alive (2014).

Year 2021... the child of a zombie woman and human man: a beautiful half zombie goth loli girl zombie hunter... and something about a bartender.

Rated R-15.

R2J release date: March 20, 2014
- http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00HJ093K2

kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

HungFist wrote:More Yamanouchi direct to video stuff coming: Half Zombie: Dead or Alive (2014).

Year 2021... the child of a zombie woman and human man: a beautiful half zombie goth loli girl zombie hunter... and something about a bartender.
That sounds absolutely dreadful!

In order to get my Tomomatsu fix I did a bit of digging into the past and came up with Vampire Syndrome, a three-part TV mini-series he directed in 2002, one year after making Stacy. It's about as cheesy as I expected but I was pleasantly surprised that there's at least one decent gore scene in each episode. And having been made in 2002 it's all gloriously practical!

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Alex Paille's short film (21 min) Karma (2010) on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqNUEDOWGB4

Written by Sion Sono. Gore effects by Nishimura Eizo. Co-stars Yoshihiro Nishimura as a yakuza boss. It's an alright short, though has a few bits of CGI blood and Sono-fandom overkill. The storyline also isn't quite as original, but nevertheless, entertaining enough.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Greatful Dead director Eiji Uchida apparently already finished his heavy metal zombie movie Dead Banging (Metalca / メタルカ). Suppose you can't expect much from this, but seems like they're breaking insanity records of some sort once again...

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo6eCT3sYNY

Site:
http://metalca.net/

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist wrote:More Yamanouchi direct to video stuff coming: Half Zombie: Dead or Alive (2014).

Rated R-15.

R2J release date: March 20, 2014
- http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00HJ093K2

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1HG-0B1-ew

Also, new film coming already. Undead Cemetary (アンデッド・セメタリー) DVD in June.
- http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_dvd. ... sid=925617
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

Well...

http://uziga.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-134.html
Mai is a sweet, attractive girl whose life is a living hell. Working as a slave for a cruel mistress, she spends her days toiling as a maid and her nights being raped and tortured by her mistress' wealthy clients. What makes this even worse is that Mai can regenerate any physical damage her body receives, even fatal injuries. Thus, she is routinely burned, bludgeoned, cut up, and otherwise ripped apart purely for the entertainment of various sadistic loons, in addition to the sexual tortures they put her through.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

whoa! Seems like the manga artist who wrote the comics, Uziga, is a bit of an underground legend - the kind of person whose works make A Serbian Film look like a kid's flick as suggested by this long blog post. And the director's nickname is Fetish Sado (aka Sato Sado). He introduces himself in English on his twitter page "I am a pornography supervisor." Some of his AV flicks have been published by a label called "Dog Smell".

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Rina Kichise (Iona) has serious difficulties keeping her clothes on...

Yubari 2013: hit an American movie producer in the face with her boobs
Yubari 2014: naked human sushi plate (the fish tasted good...)
And now Brussels... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqPFCXG ... .be&t=5m2s

I've seen her three times live, and only once she didn't take her clothes off... :lol:
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Rape Zombie 4 Trailer

Rape Zombie 5 Trailer

I hope this idiotic series never ends! :lol: