BnB birthdays

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: BnB birthdays

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:Am I the only one who finds it ironic they're giving books to a guy who can't read...!? :icon_suspect: :D
:?
saltysam wrote:i hate birthdays, they are irrlelvant to me and definitely the playground of the immature and little missed.why the fuck do i need to celebrate i'm 48 next year? :dontknow: who gives a toss?
:o . 48 isn't old dude and who cares if it is (which it isn't), people are WAY to hung up on age. I like being 33, I know more than I did when I was 23, am (usually) more mature and don't get in a tiss over nothing like I did when I was 23. Birthday's the playground of the immature! :?

It's Christmas I find dull.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i'm not bothered about being 48,my point is i'm not particularly interested in celebrating my birthday.though having said that,i did get leathered this year (dragged out by work friends)
working class blu-ray fan
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Am I the only one who finds it ironic they're giving books to a guy who can't read...!? :icon_suspect: :D
:?
What!? Our hints that your comprehensive reading skills are somewhat lacking at times were a bit too subtle for you to pick up...!? Wow(!)

:D
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

"Our hints", are you sure? I don't see anyone else commenting and yes I got it.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Birthdays just remind me that I'm one year closer to death.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I dont mind birthdays, I dont like getting older :(
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I dont mind birthdays, I dont like getting older :(
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:I dont mind birthdays, I dont like getting older :(
What's the big deal? You just have to look at all the annoying teenagers, to know you don't want to be young again. At least I don't. I don't wish to be elderly and unable to work/think etc... but we're all a way off that.

I've just noticed Saltysam has added another year to his age, making him appear even older than he actually is. Cheer up dude.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I'd love to be young again. Sadly, the trouble with being young, is that most of the time you're kinda forced to do shit that's pretty useless and your stuck with morons in a building learning crap that you'll hardly ever use ever again.

Basically, the problem with your youth is that it's being ruined by the circumstances you're forced into by society.

Do I want to climb trees and play soccer in the street and write loveletters to stupid girls who hate me and have archenemies you can punch in the face without getting thrown in jail for it....!? Hell yeah!

Do I want to discover all that stuff like McDonald's, Lego, comicbooks, movies, kissing, etc etc again? Ofcourse!

They say youth is wasted on the young. It's a nice saying, but it kinda bypasses the responsibility (I feel) that adults have to make sure to create the circumstances that will ALLOW young people to enjoy their youth. Which means NOT locking them up in schools all day every day to do shit all. Which means NOT forcing them onto their homework the second they get home, piling pressure on them.

I hate growing older tbh. I hate it with a passion. Maybe it's also the personal situation I'm in with my bad health, or it's the depression that's always there underneath the surface, but I just HATE it. The teeth getting worse, the hair getting less, the flexibility gone, and most of all, the dreams we all once had, fading away into nothingness, replaced by the harsh reality that we might not be among the lucky few who will be able to live their dreams.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

A lot of what Yi-Long says strikes a chord with me... except most of my problems started when I was young and I never had much of a chance at enjoying my youth. That's what makes me bitter. People who enjoyed their young life won't ever be able to understand that. They're the lucky ones.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:A lot of what Yi-Long says strikes a chord with me... except most of my problems started when I was young and I never had much of a chance at enjoying my youth. That's what makes me bitter. People who enjoyed their young life won't ever be able to understand that. They're the lucky ones.
Oh, I didn't have a great childhood either. Far from it. Being 'the man in the house' at age 6 with a crying mother around kinda sucks.

Which is why I feel I wish you could just go back and experience the good times again, hopefully without all the crap, the nonsense, the irritations, etc etc.

I really should have been wiser back then about looking through all the bullshit, and I should have just done my own thing, instead of playing by the rules thought up by fools. The way our society works might 'work' for many people, but somehow it never really worked for me. Maybe I'm just too difficult in my way of thinking, or too stubborn, or whatever. It all just seems so 'wrong', so flawed, so hypocrite.
Last edited by Yi-Long on 11 Jun 2012, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Life is what you make of it guys! It's a cliché but true. They say people who expect life to be better, usually don't get it. Those who don't expect but go out and get it, usually do.

You don't think kids should do homework Yi-long? They'd be too tired if it was left to later. Of course Grim has it best, he gets to lick his own balls :D.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:Life is what you make of it guys! It's a cliché but true. They say people who expect life to be better, usually don't get it. Those who don't expect but go out and get it, usually do.

You don't think kids should do homework Yi-long? They'd be too tired if it was left to later. Of course Grim has it best, he gets to lick his own balls :D.
I don't know how much homework there is in the UK for schoolkids, or forwhat subjects they're getting homework, but overall I feel kids are getting robbed of their youth by locking them up in schools all day and then getting stuck with lots of homework as well to waste the rest of their day.

I don't mind the occasional homework if it's actually for something useful, but I feel it shouldn't be standard, but more the exception. And also, for young children, I really feel they shouldn't get ANY homework, unless it's 'fun' stuff like taking pictures on your vacation to show them when you get back at school or something. Why? Because it can be implemented in something that's actually useful, like public speaking.

I really feel bad about how we as a society are pretty much robbing kids from their childhoods by forcing mediocre education upon them.

Quick disclaimer: I'm mostly speaking about the Dutch education system and it's lacking quality. I understand american kids have ALOT more spare time, including a longer summer holiday. I'm not sure about the UK or other EU countries in comparison to Holland. Also, it seems countries like Japan and the USA seem to offer the kids a more 'complete' education than Dutch schools, including sports and more extracurricular activities to also develop in those areas.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Life is what you make of it guys! It's a cliché but true.
It's also trite and simple-minded. People don't always get the life they deserve.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:It's also trite and simple-minded. People don't always get the life they deserve.
Plenty of people have started out with a shit start to life but have gone on to be successful/done well in life also.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

...and plenty haven't.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:It's also trite and simple-minded. People don't always get the life they deserve.
Plenty of people have started out with a shit start to life but have gone on to be successful/done well in life also.
It's a bit simple-minded to think like that. Not everything in life goes as we want it to go. Sometimes, 'life' kicks you in the face and fucks it all up. And sometimes, you never even had a chance to begin with.

A lot of those people you mentioned will be the first to point out that there was also alot of 'luck' involved to get where they are now. You have to be in the right place, at the right time, and be among the right people who will have to recognize your qualities.

Yes, the first step is always one you have to take yourself, just like the 2nd, and the 3rd. And you have to try and keep walking in the direction you want to be heading... but sometimes you just hit a dead-end, you trip and break a leg, the goalposts suddenly get changed, or whatever.

If everything was as simple as just wanting it and going out to get it, we'd all be lying on a beach somewhere alongside our supermodel girlfriend cause we're already financially independent. We'd all be footballstars with a contract with NIKE, or we'd be preparing our Oscar-speeches.

I once had big dreams, and I had the talent/qualities back then to probably achieve some of those dreams, and then my body flunked out on me ...

Now I have relatively small dreams, and even those seem hard to accomplish for me TBH. Simple stuff like just finding a place to live with my girlfriend (housingmarket in Holland is fuckeddddd up, especially for people in our situation), starting a family, breeding some baby ninjas, having some animals to take care of, and just growing old together, is very difficult to accomplish right now. Sadly.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:

48 isn't old dude and who cares if it is (which it isn't),
saltysam wrote:i'm not bothered about being 48
i was answering your comment not adding a year to my age!
bradavon wrote:
Cheer up dude.
because i don't care about my birthday i need to cheer up :lol: i'm quite happy thank you very much,celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary this year,have two good kids,working,house paid off next year and in the last year become close friends (definitely platonic) with a lovely girl from work who has been a breath of fresh air as a friend.Things are never perfect in life and i've got problems (including one big one i'm hoping is sorted) but by and large i'm pretty happy :)
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:It's a bit simple-minded to think like that.
When people have turned a thread about celebrating people's birthday into a "my life sucks" thread, it's an appropriate thing to say.
saltysam wrote:I was answering your comment not adding a year to my age!
You said, you're 48 "next" year. Hence the comment.
saltysam wrote:i'm quite happy thank you very much
Good. The rest of your post pretty much sums up my point. My year hasn't exactly been perfect 100% but I've had some good times too.

I cannot wait for the new year to start, several things are in the pipeline that will happen early next year. Alternatively we could do as Mark and Yi-Long suggest and all top ourselves right now.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Happy Birthday to LD and Sam! :D
Can't believe I'm 30 now :( And that means I joined BnB (in its guises) over a decade ago :o
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Happy Birthday, Salty! And happy birthday to LD as well!!!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Happy Birthday guys.

I can't believe I'm not 30 now :D.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Happy birthday sirs :P
HungFist