Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Love & Pop - R1 vs. R2J DC vs. R2J

Post by Lourdes »

R1 & R2J DC are Interlaced
R2J is Progressive
R2J DC has an additional 2 minute scene

R1 & R2J DC are letterboxed so I cropped the height of both by an equal amount without losing any picture information before resizing using the usual method.
The R2J DC is in the middle because it's much closer to the R1 than the anamorphic R2J.

R1 Top, R2J DC Middle, R2J Bottom

Last edited by Lourdes on 23 Jul 2007, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

The R1 has more picture than the R2J DC which in turn has more picture than the R2J and has Engligh subs.
The R2J DC is slightly sharper than the R1 and has the extra scene.
The R2J is anamorphic and progressive without composite artefacts but looks a bit muted and not as pure-DV as the R1 and R2J DC.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

By any chance does the R2J DC have English subs?
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

EvaUnit02 wrote:By any chance does the R2J DC have English subs?
Don't be silly.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Thanks for the comparison, I always wanted to see how the R2J DC looks like.

I'm happy with my R2J, though. Non-anamorpic presentation would ruin the widescreen shots...
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

I own the DC and have 'access to' the others. I don't know which I'd choose if I could only have one.
JonnyTanna
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Love & Pop - R1 vs. R2J DC vs. R2J

Post by JonnyTanna »

I was suspecting at first that the SR-Ban was taken from a 35mm print (copied from a white wall projection of the original DV tape). After watching the SR-Ban version again, it appears that it is smoother than the other two and is definitely NOT from a 35mm print, and must be from the source tape.

I'm wondering what source the American and Japanese (Non-DC) is from?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re:

Post by HungFist »

Welcome JonnyTanna and sorry, I can't really help you, but to me the SR ban seems much more real digital video than the original R2J, which might have been more "film -like". I have both now...
HungFist wrote:Thanks for the comparison, I always wanted to see how the R2J DC looks like.

I'm happy with my R2J, though. Non-anamorpic presentation would ruin the widescreen shots...
... which brings me to this correction: I definitely prefer the SR ban... for both the transfer, and especially the superb extras. And the widescreen shots are not ruined, as it's a windowboxed full screen transfer, so the widescreen shots will appear correctly as you have already zoomed the image...

I wrote more about the film and the dvds here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5846

But as for the transfer maybe someone with better tech knowledge than me can answer your question.

The R1 dvd is strange... the dvdbeaver caps make it look more or less identical to the R2J SR ban, but it's supposed to be the theatrical version rather than DC...