The Toei Pinky Violence thread

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Classic Japanese Exploitation Thread (Not Work Safe!)

Post by HungFist »

Welcome to the forum, Marshall.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Re: The Classic Japanese Exploitation Thread (Not Work Safe!

Post by Marshall »

HungFist wrote: Image
Now to see if one can quote an image. Ladies and gentlemen, the hideous beauty of Ryoko Ema. Ah, the oddly conflicted feelings she stirs.
HungFist wrote: Image
I LOVE that guy! Who is he? If there is a thanklessly low bit of humor to be delivered, he his the go-to guy. I especially like that one scene where he's getting hassled by a girl gang and a fight breaks out. He winds up lying on the ground with one of the girls, and takes a moment to look under her dress. Some day I'll find out what he says.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

He's Tooru Yuri (edit: no he isn't. He's Hachiro Oka. I was mistaken and probably some of my other posts repeat the same mistake!). He and Toru Yuri were regular comic relief in Toei's movies. For example, if you're watching a Sukeban movie and there's a horny fool getting swindled by the girls, you can bet your money it's either Yuri or Oizumi.

Oka

Yuri

If my memory serves me correctly, they both appear together in Horrors of Malformed Men. Seem to have lost my screencap. They play Monk A and Monk B :D

And this guy is Akira Oizumi
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Re:

Post by Marshall »

I love Oizumi as well! And that moustache guy with egg on his face!

Oh, one more question though. If Yuri is the guy who gets robbed in the cemetery at the start of GIRL BOSS GUERILLA, who is the quack doctor to whom they take the injured nun later in the same film? I hate to admit it, but I have difficulty telling them apart.
HungFist wrote:Sukeban: Escape From Reform School (Sukeban: Kankai dasso) (1973)

This might be my favorite scene in the film, but it is tough to watch! If you've ever had to do the "right thing" in a situation like this, you will know what I mean. The actress is gorgeous; her upper lip should be in a museum.
HungFist wrote:Rica 2: Lonely Wanderer (Konketsuji Rika: Hitoriyuku sasuraitabi) (1973)

So would someone care to confirm that the woman on the right...
HungFist wrote:Criminal Woman: Killing Melody (Zenka onna: koroshi-bushi) (1973)

...is also the woman on the left?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Re:

Post by HungFist »

Marshall wrote:Oh, one more question though. If Yuri is the guy who gets robbed in the cemetery at the start of GIRL BOSS GUERILLA, who is the quack doctor to whom they take the injured nun later in the same film? I hate to admit it, but I have difficulty telling them apart.
Going by my screencaps, that's Yuri again.
Marshall wrote:So would someone care to confirm that the woman on the right...
Marshall wrote:...is also the woman on the left?
Quick guess: Masami Soda. Plays 'Hanako' in Rica 2, 'Yukie Nakagawa' in Criminal Woman. Maybe if you've got the dvds there you can see if the character names match.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Re:

Post by Marshall »

Yes, I am guessing that Masami Soda, Masami Souda and Masami Muneta are all the same person. I posted this info at AV Maniacs to the usual chirping of crickets. Now I can sleep at night. Thanks!
HungFist wrote:Delinquent Girl Boss: Ballad of Yokohama Hoods (Zubeko bancho: Hamagure kazoe uta) (1971)

I think this film has become my favorite in the series. It contains one highlight after another. One would be that girl on the left. A lot of times the "sidekick" role is that of a whiny pipsqueak or sycophant--villainess Yukie Kagawa's sidekick in that very film, for instance, or Konketsuji Rika's li'l friend in the first two RIKA's. But Reiko Oshida's sidekick in this one, while played for laughs, is pretty spunky and a bit of a scene stealer. My favorite bit is early on, when Reiko contemptuously throws away an apple she's half finished with. Sidekick Girl grins and throws hers away too. Very cute.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Re:

Post by Marshall »

HungFist wrote:Sukeban (Girl Boss Revenge) (1973)

Naomi Oka, far right. I think her first pinky violence appearance was GIRL BOSS GUERILLA, where she has a shaved head. In fact, I've never seen her without a shaved head, although these films were made so quickly that I could hardly expect her hair to have grown out. I gather she made quite a few films at Nikkatsu at the same time, an IMDb lists about three dozen films, right up through a small role in A TAXING WOMAN. I would be very curious to know more about her, particularly the origin of her severe hairstyle.

Edit: Just re-watched part of TGHS: WOMEN'S VIOLENT CLASSROOM and she has a pretty bad wound on her arm. Another legend of pinky violence waiting to be told.
HungFist wrote:Terrifying Girls’ High School: Violent Women’s Classroom (1972)

Is this the very first Reiko/Miki fight? I seem to recall seeing a poster for this film where their battle is played up. In any case, for me this is the definitive such brawl. Not sure why, as it does not take place in calf-deep water or go on until both parties are exhausted and have a new respect for each other. Maybe it's partly because it takes place in an elevated location with a beautiful panoramic view.

If this is their first fight, it's hard to believe it took so long for it to happen.

Edit: It's not.
Last edited by Marshall on 02 Nov 2009, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Hahaha, oh dear :D
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Picked up BAD GIRL MAKO. My first Junko Natsu movie. She's very skinny. You will not get film criticism of such profundity elsewhere. The film is very colorful and and begins with a bowling scene, followed by a shakedown of an unlucky male bowler by a girl gang. How bad could it be? Hopefully the rumored US release will happen sooner rather than later. I would very much like to see Natsu's GIRLS JUNIOR HIGH series released.

Ordered one of the later FURYO BANCHO movies, mainly because Yoko Mihara is supposedly in it and I had a coupon. Fingers crossed. Say, that sure looks like Reiko Ike on the poster for the 14th entry in the series. Can anyone confirm? She doesn't seem to be listed in the credits (at least that I've found.)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I've never seen her listed for any of the Furyo bancho films. I doubt it's her. Doesn't really look like her to me, either.

And don't temp me. I've decided to wait for a low priced sale before I go bankrupt :D

I'm sure R1 mako will come out sometime next year. Cinema Epoch bought the rights to a bunch of films at once, and I think this is the last one remaing. The second last title, The Heartbreak Yakuza, just came out. They're just a little bit slow with these releases.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Thanks for the prompt response. They saved MAKO for last!? Dorks.

I swear that looks just like Ike to me, but, a) I dimly remember seeing a still from the movie with what must have been the same girl, but she looked much less like her, and, b) I'm sure they'd play up her presence in the DVD promotional materials if it was her.

One other thing about MAKO. It's set in Yokohama. How could I tell? Because they couldn't resist showing Yokohama's Chinatown again. I remember seeing the "gate to Chinatown" scene in BALLAD OF YOKOHAMA HOODS and realizing that the same archway was shown in RIKA. One of my favorite bits of YOKOHAMA HOODS is the nightclub song about Yokohama. Because, make no mistake, the film is set in Yokohama. And I was re-watching part of MAKO today, and there is a song about Yokohama in that too.

Yokohama.
Marshall wrote:Picked up BAD GIRL MAKO. My first Junko Natsu movie.
Wrong, fool. She plays the rival in DELINQUENT GIRL BOSS: BLOSSOMING NIGHT DREAMS.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Marshall wrote:
Marshall wrote:Picked up BAD GIRL MAKO. My first Junko Natsu movie.
Wrong, fool. She plays the rival in DELINQUENT GIRL BOSS: BLOSSOMING NIGHT DREAMS.
Sometimes you really remind me of myself, hehe. Kinda like Woody Allen gone exploitation cinema enthusiastic, but still not quite. Ehm, now I'm not making much sense. Never mind.

Anyway, I suppose it was obvious to everyone that the Synapse 27 film deal was a Nikkatsu roman batch. And it was obvious they would just port some R2J titles. WRONG, FOOLS! Don named just a couple of titles and one of them is Koyu Ohara's Fairy in a Cage, which is certainly not a part of the Geneon dvd catalogue. While this classic does not interest me personally, it does give me hope that they've picked up some other cool titles for dvd debut.

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showth ... 37&page=46

Also, I just noticed some of the Geneon dvds are going oop. May wanna hurry if you're missing some.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Yeah, I wish I could get more excited about the Synapse 27. I will be watching this release roster take shape with the short eyes of a movie pervert, but at the end of the day I am pretty much just interested in the girl gang movies. I am counting on you folks to let me know if any of the titles turn out to be musn't-miss-masterpieces. The only titles I KNOW I want from Nikkatsu are the GIRLS' JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL films.

Just realized that Yukie Kagawa plays Nana the go-go girl in the second Delinquent Boss movie. Also, that guy that plays the infantilized comic relief character in the Delinquent Girl Boss movies plays one of the gang. (He may be in other series entries as well. I'll have to find out!) And confirmed my suspicion that Yoko Mihara plays the horny secretary. What a stretch for her.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

As stated in the official Toei thread... ehm, I mean JP Cult Cinema thread, in April Toei will release 3 pink dramas directed by Yuuji Makiguchi.

玉割り人ゆき (Tamawari nin Yuki) (Virgin Breaker Yuki) (1975)
Starring Jun Masumi
http://www.jmdb.ne.jp/1975/cy001410.htm
http://www.ofdb.de/film/111914,Gyokuwarijin-Yuki

玉割り人ゆき 西の廓夕月楼 (Tamawari nin Yuki: Nishi no kuruwa yuzuki ro) (Virgin Breaker Yuki 2) (1976)
Starring Jun Masumi
http://www.jmdb.ne.jp/1976/cz000420.htm
http://www.ofdb.de/film/111916,Gyokuwar ... ukir%C3%B4

らしゃめん(Rashamen) (1977)
Starring Haruko Wanibuchi
http://www.jmdb.ne.jp/1977/da002630.htm
http://www.ofdb.de/film/111917,Rashamen

+

雪夫人絵図 (Yuki fujin ezu) (1975)
Directed by Masashige Narusawa
Starring Yoshiko Sakuma
http://www.jmdb.ne.jp/1975/cy000960.htm
Last edited by HungFist on 05 Feb 2010, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Sorry if this is not the optimal thread for this post. I noticed four sweet-looking boxed sets of the Japanese TV series PLAY GIRL (1969-74?) for sale at Yesasia. Anyone know how many episodes were produced and what percentage is covered by these sets?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

Marshall wrote:
HungFist wrote:Sukeban: Escape From Reform School (Sukeban: Kankai dasso) (1973)

This might be my favorite scene in the film, but it is tough to watch! If you've ever had to do the "right thing" in a situation like this, you will know what I mean. The actress is gorgeous; her upper lip should be in a museum.
Ah, finally have this with subs. Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but did spot-check it. So, apparently the above character is supposed to be 15?! Oops.
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

HungFist wrote:As stated in the official Toei thread... ehm, I mean JP Cult Cinema thread, in April Toei will release 3 pink dramas directed by Yuuji Makiguchi.
Makiguchi is hit or miss for me but Toei finally getting around to him is exciting news as far as I'm concerned. I could never figure why they released his 五月みどりの かまきり夫人の告白 (Satsuki Midori no Kamakiri-fujin no Kokuhaku) (1975) in 2005 and then didn't follow that up with anything else, specifically his more notorious efforts... until now. I was lucky enough to already watch the two 玉割り人ゆき / Virgin Breaker Yuki films via a recording made off the Toei Channel. As the title suggests they are about a woman whose job it is to break-in virgins after they've been sold to a brothel. It's period stuff, must have had a decent budget and overall among Makiguchi's better works. らしゃめん (Rashamen) I have never seen and frankly know nothing about. There is a LP / CD with the same title and the movie poster as the cover art and supposedly sung by Haruko Wanibuchi. So is this a musical, a concert film, an opera or what? Guess I'll find out in April.

I hope Toei will not call it quits after this batch for another 5 years and get on with releasing the rest of Makiguchi's not-too-numerous theatrical effiorts later in 2010:

戦後猟奇犯罪史 (1976)

This films (the title translates to something like "Bizarre Crimes of Post-War Japan) is similar to Ishii's Love and Crime, except that it focuses on famous and shocking crimes in the 30 years between the end of WW2 and the mid-70ies. Makiguchi managed to turn it into an entry in the decidedly Japanese genre of "rape comedies". The VHS is comparatively easy to find and I wasn't too impressed with this one. The TV show host who presents the cases seriously got on my nerves.

広島仁義 人質奪回作戦 (1976)

This is the only contemporary action film Makiguchi directed and that's a shame because this proto-heroic-bloodshed effort kicks some serious ass.

徳川女刑罰絵巻 牛裂きの刑 (1976)

Shogun's Sadism, yeah. One of the more mean-spirited films I have seen, party because the second episode is played for laughs. I have some doubts that, should Toei release this in Japan, that they can beat the genuine PAL transfer of the now OOP Dutch DVD.

女獄門帖 引き裂かれた尼僧 (1977)

This weird mixture of period splatter movie and Japanese nunsploitation is about a girl called Omino, a young woman who flees from her master and ends up in a convent full of man-hating, murderous nuns. But not after an obligatory scene of bandit-rape in the forest. Seriously, if you're a good looking chick, don't go and friggin pee in front of sex-starved bandits. There's really only one way that can end.

There was a VHS release in Japan sometime in the early 80ies but it was pan & scan 4:3 instead of 2.35:1 and as such the film is in dire need of a DVD release. It still gets occasional theatrical screenings in Japan and has a dedicated cult following. The complete screenplay along with director interviews and essays was published in the "Japanese Cult Cinema" series of books.

毒婦お伝と首斬り浅 (1977)

Another movie based on the exploits of Oden Takahashi. Her story was also adapted, among others, by Teruo Ishii in Love and Crime and Shogoro Nishimura in Kouyamu. This and Rashamen are the only Makiguchi films I haven't seen yet.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Excellent post, thanks. I had been hoping you'd registed at some point.

I've seen Hiroshima Honor (広島仁義 人質奪回作戦) and it's indeed pretty cool. The ending is pure heroic bloodshed, and I remember there was a terrific dinner scene between the leads.

Mantis Lady I thought was worthless. Not really horribly bad, but I didn't find see to get excited about either.
kemushi
Little White Dragon

Post by kemushi »

HungFist wrote:
HungFist wrote:Wild Side Nikkatsu cover arts:
http://wildgrounds.com/index.php/2009/1 ... -for-2010/
Wild Side has HQ cover arts and info for the first three titles on their website.
http://www.wildside.fr/video/collection,9

The running times, assuming both Wild Side and IMDB are correct, would seem a bit worrisome. They are the same, but with France being a PAL country their shouldn't be.

Notice that Wild Side claims some of the discs have DTS 5.1. Wait and see...

I've seen one of the films, Hell Fated Courtesan. It's an arthouse pink by Tanaka. Loved by critics, but not me.
I just got my copy of Hell-Fated Courtesan, a film I really like even if I'm not a critic! ;) I got some bad news for any prospective buyers, however. The Wild Side DVDs are garbage. Horribly interlaced incompetent NTSC to PAL format conversions. Compared to their R2J counterparts they are all but unwatchable. Here's a quick comparison to back me up:

Geneon NTSC R2J:

Wild Side PAL:

French Menu:

The inside of the DVD booklet has the cover arts for their entire catalugue of upcoming pink DVDs but after the screenshots above, does anybody still care? The French subtitles are the only reason to pick any of them up. And that bit about DTS? Hilarious. At least the DVD back covers themselves correctly list the Japanese audio as being mono.
HungFist wrote:Mantis Lady I thought was worthless. Not really horribly bad, but I didn't find see to get excited about either.
I agree with you about Mantis Lady. That was my second Makiguchi film and it came as a tremendous disappointment. It's not a horrible film or poorly made, it's just that it is a totally forgettable 70ies sex comedy.
FireTiger
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by FireTiger »

Marshall wrote:
HungFist wrote:Delinquent Girl Boss: Ballad of Yokohama Hoods (Zubeko bancho: Hamagure kazoe uta) (1971)

I think this film has become my favorite in the series. It contains one highlight after another. One would be that girl on the left. A lot of times the "sidekick" role is that of a whiny pipsqueak or sycophant--villainess Yukie Kagawa's sidekick in that very film, for instance, or Konketsuji Rika's li'l friend in the first two RIKA's. But Reiko Oshida's sidekick in this one, while played for laughs, is pretty spunky and a bit of a scene stealer. My favorite bit is early on, when Reiko contemptuously throws away an apple she's half finished with. Sidekick Girl grins and throws hers away too. Very cute.
That girl on the left is Yoko Ichiji :) , She co-starred in Return of the street fighter with Sonny Chiba I am a big fan of the few movies she has been in, She is very underrated and its a shame she didnt star in a movie as a protagonist.
“Simplicity is the key to brilliance.”

Bruce Lee
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Welcome FireTiger.

You, and everyone else, are very wecome to contribute to this thread. Nowadays I don't have quite as much time for movies as before, so if anyone wants to post reviews, questions, comments, or just dvd screencaps or provide some other useful info, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, don't be afraid even though these threads are "alive"... in order to keep the information value high and indexing easy, I sometimes combine or delete some old post that don't have real information value. However, feel free to chat about anything. Maybe once every 6 months I do a bit of clean up with old posts. Nothing to worry about, guys.

Stuff like actress identifications are always useful. I also like Yoko Ichiji a lot, and never realized she was the lovely side-kick in Return of the Street Fighter.
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Post by Marshall »

She is in one of the other DELINQUENT GIRL BOSS movies as well, I think. A small role in WORTHLESS TO CONFESS, perhaps. Daughter of a noodle house owner?
FireTiger
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by FireTiger »

Yes, she's in Worthless to Confess for a few minutes. Her biggest roles were on the TV show Miraman and Crest of the wolf movie. In this particular movie she is credited by the alias ''Aki Akiko''. I randomly stumbled upon it and that movie is amazing. It is incredible, all of the info you can find on the internet about these movies and actors/actresses, Which you never knew about just by installing a Japanese language pack on Windows XP and searching names and other stuff in Kanji.
Last edited by FireTiger on 16 Jul 2010, 06:04, edited 4 times in total.

Bruce Lee
FireTiger
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by FireTiger »

HungFist wrote:Welcome FireTiger.

You, and everyone else, are very wecome to contribute to this thread. Nowadays I don't have quite as much time for movies as before, so if anyone wants to post reviews, questions, comments, or just dvd screencaps or provide some other useful info, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, don't be afraid even though these threads are "alive"... in order to keep the information value high and indexing easy, I sometimes combine or delete some old post that don't have real information value. However, feel free to chat about anything. Maybe once every 6 months I do a bit of clean up with old posts. Nothing to worry about, guys.

Stuff like actress identifications are always useful. I also like Yoko Ichiji a lot, and never realized she was the lovely side-kick in Return of the Street Fighter.

No problem HungFist, Thanks a lot I feel at home here, I have a passion for these movies, I stopped playing Video Games to watch these movies as entertainment instead. Yea looks are deceiving I wouldnt have known that she played that part in Return of the SF either. I like this actress very much I think shes very cute, I have a few rare pics of her if youre interested I can post them. Now the thing is she looks like a totally different person in every pic, but its her for sure Ive confirmed it on her Japanese Wikipedia page.
Marshall wrote:She is in one of the other DELINQUENT GIRL BOSS movies as well, I think. A small role in WORTHLESS TO CONFESS, perhaps. Daughter of a noodle house owner?
Could be the daughter or grandaughter, it just a shame that she wasnt in the entire movie like the rest of the gals.
Last edited by FireTiger on 16 Jul 2010, 05:57, edited 4 times in total.

Bruce Lee