Is this a good BD player?

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Post by bradavon »

Lourdes wrote:Did Brad ever get one of the combo players he became a self-declared expert on over at avforums?
You're so 2000 and late :D. I've had it since March 2008, roughly speaking.
Shingster wrote:Yeah but it was a slot loader so he couldn't figure out how to put the discs in the damn thing! :lol:
:D
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Shingster wrote:Yeah but it was a slot loader so he couldn't figure out how to put the discs in the damn thing! :lol:
:notworthy:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,
Are there BD lens cleaners out there or can I just use the DVD lens cleaners I already have? :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I've never cleaned any lense and had no problems lol (CD, DVD, BD).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Grim wants to clean a BD lens he doesn't yet own, for BDs he hasn't yet bought. Work that one out :D.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm just thinking in advance/making sure. Jeez (!) :D
And actually, I have bought the BDs :P
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Grim gets his handbag out in disgust.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I have had 8 dvd players now (I think) and not used a cleaner yet, apart from when the dust is so bad I had to get the hoover out and suck it all out :lol: but that what you get when your player holds hundreds of discs, a little dust on each disc times 301 is a bit shitty.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

None of my discs have any dust on them, do you leave them out or something?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've had to use a DVD/CD Cleaner on CD Players but never on any of my DVD Players either and I've owned 7. Which includes my HDD/DVD Recorder and BD Player. I have my Mum's though once (which is one of my old ones), her house is very dusty though and the Player is very close to a fireplace.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

romerojpg wrote:I have had 8 dvd players now (I think) and not used a cleaner yet, apart from when the dust is so bad I had to get the hoover out and suck it all out :lol: but that what you get when your player holds hundreds of discs, a little dust on each disc times 301 is a bit shitty.
8! Hoover! What the fuck are you doing to your players! :lol:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

gasteropod wrote:None of my discs have any dust on them, do you leave them out or something?
It was a massive caroselle thingie, it span round to select discs, so it generated static and sucked up all the dust in the room when you opened it to put in or take out a disc, a few specs of dust on a dvd is not much, but when you have hundreds of discs it all adds up :D

and 8 players only becuause of various recorders, PS2 + 3 etc.. and I upgrade a once every few years, and some I gave em away or did not need them.

Still Thinking about it at this moment there are 10 things in the house that could play a dvd right now haha

Only 3 could play HD discs mind you.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:8! Hoover! What the fuck are you doing to your players! :lol:
That isn't too many really, DVD has been out for what a decade. How many mobile phones do people get through?

My ones are and reasons why I picked them:

1. Original in-famous Samsung DVD Player - This could be hacked for DVD Region Free and even remove Macrovision out of the box, very handy before DVD Recorders too off. Back then DVD RF was rare.
2. LG DVD Player - It could play MP3s from CD and also had hardware Macrovision + Set to a specific region, back when RCE was a concern.
3. Top of the range Panasonic - This player was very good but it was released back when Scart was the top connection type, sold when I upgraded to a LCD TV. I wanted a really nice DVD Player and it showed me that you really do get what you pay for. It was brushed gold and looked gorgeous.
4. Top of the range Pioneer - It cost me about £500 and is still easily the best DVD Player I've ever owned. The AV quality was gorgeous and better than my current BD Player (for DVDs obviously). It's biggest draw was the obscene amount of things you could configure and it played DVD-Audio/SACD (boy I miss those :(). It only went up to 1080i but that wasn't a problem for me. It was brushed gold/silver and looked gorgeous. I bought it when I got my current LCD TV. I only owned this one for about 3 years. I didn't realise HD was coming when I bought it. I sold it as I don't need 3 DVD Players but did want to keep it for awhile.
5. Pioneer HDD/DVD Recorder - HDD, DVD Recording, DivX Support, Freeview tuner. You get the idea. Not the best at playing DVDs but then I never bought it for that. I still own this one.
6. LG HD-DVD/BD Player - It plays BDs and HD-DVDs. It's not too shabby at playing DVDs too. It's also BD Multi-region. I still own this one too.

All are/were DVD Region Free obviously. Oops it's 6.
Last edited by bradavon on 01 Sep 2009, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well my first dvd player (cost me £550 chipped in 98) lasted 13 months :clap: then blew up and was unfixable.

1 month out of replace warrenty! nice.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I only ever owned 2 VCRs though, go figure :D.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:and the Player is very close to a fireplace.
I'm sure you're not meant to do that with any electrical equipment lol
bradavon wrote:How many mobile phones do people get through?
I'm still on my first one, Nokia 3510 :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

OMG! Really?

That phone is ancient. Sure my phone is nearly 5 years old (and badly due for an upgrade) but according to Wikipedia yours was released back in 2002. It doesn't even have a colour screen! I couldn't use a phone without a colour screen now, the Internet is useless without it. Still I've only owned 2.

I've been holding off until something comes along that ticks all my "very stringiest" boxes (the iPhone isn't it). I'm planning to get a new one in the new year now, probably Google Android based or maybe the successor to the Palm Pre.
gasteropod wrote:I'm sure you're not meant to do that with any electrical equipment lol
It's not "that" close silly, just enough so smoke can get in the way.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah my mum gave me her old Samsung recently and after a couple of days using it I just wanted to go back to my Nokia lolz, I wouldn't mind something like an iPhone but there's the danger of dropping it (my phone is invincible) and also the monthly contract is expensive, I'm just on pay as you go and I only use it for texting really.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm on my second phone which I think I bought in the early 2000's :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Yeah my mum gave me her old Samsung recently and after a couple of days using it I just wanted to go back to my Nokia lolz
Do you still run Windows 95? ;). Change is good.
gasteropod wrote:and also the monthly contract is expensive, I'm just on pay as you go and I only use it for texting really.
The contracts are a rip off. It's one of the reasons why I'm put off. As to "only texting". It's one of those things, that once you realise who useful the web on a phone is you won't go back. My phone is only GPRS (think dial-up) which makes it effectively too annoying to use but when it does work being able to check the web and e-mail is very handy indeed.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I dont even own a phone, I would rather go blind than use one of those vile things.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Romero, you are officially weird. Like anything they can be abused/used too much but can equally be a useful tool.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I hate them more than I could express with words, eveyone else is weird texting all day long.

Texters have ruined the world I say.

I also live in the UK's dumbest area, as apprently more people walk and text and so walk into lamp posts more than any other place :lol: they tried to get a city grant to put padding on the lamp posts!!! :help: you could not make this shit up. Thats how dumb people are.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:I hate them more than I could express with words, eveyone else is weird texting all day long.
You do know you don't have text on them or send when you must do ;) but agreed people who text non-stop is annoying. It especially annoys me when people text or have a proper conversation whilst you're at dinner with them. That I find really rude, no one else seems to.
romerojpg wrote:Texters have ruined the world I say.
I second that or at least text speak.. Text speak is evil.
romerojpg wrote:they tried to get a city grant to put padding on the lamp posts!!! :help: you could not make this shit up.
You do talk some bollocks sometimes :D.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

romerojpg wrote:you could not make this shit up.
You somehow managed :lol: