Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Cheap and region free please.

That's the best way to ass-fuck the BDA. :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

tesco are doing a blu-ray player for £68 in-store.sure it's a cheapie but it'll play the discs!
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

We hope :D.

How about half of what you want? -

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/blogs/d ... away+25+06
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The HD News & Technology Thread!

Post by saltysam »

Due for release 1st September.

PS3 Slim--32% smaller, 36% lighter and consuming 34% less power than the original, the PlayStation 3 Slim features video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, and digital audio and video--making it likely to be the central component of your media set-up. First and foremost a powerful gaming console, the PlayStation 3 Slim gives high definition power to the most recent games releases, including Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, FIFA 10, Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Tekken 6, and Gran Turismo 5. The in-built Blu-ray disc player also provides capability for high definition home entertainment, supporting cinema-quality movie playback.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I bet SACD and Hardware PS2 support doesn't make a return.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Paramount join the region coding brigade.

BRAVEHEART and GLADIATOR are region locked to A in the USA.

Both of these films were distributed by different companies overseas so it remains to be seen if these two are coded for rights reasons or if it's the start of a general trend at Paramount.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup 2 titles I wanted, so thats me stuffed then.
Not sure if Braveheart is still cut in the UK on Blu Ray, if so we are all stuffed then and wont get to see the throat slitting in HD.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Whats wrong with Gladiator uk BD?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

There's no UK BD of Braveheart yet (due in November). Depends on Fox resubmitting the film to the BBFC. I can imagine them waiving the single cut for the existing '15' cert as they've passed worse in recent years.

No BBFC cuts for Gladiator in the UK but it's not out until September.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Braveheart has been in Tv uncut a few times as well, it varies a bit it seems on TV.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:No BBFC cuts for Gladiator in the UK but it's not out until September.
Only a week after the USA one or something like that. This is indeed annoying. Given the high USD to GBP cost I was planning to get both on UK BD anyway but it still suck.

p.s - What's your source Mark? Please.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Movietyme got their discs :) they have on their site they are coded, and it spread on the entire net in about an hour haha they better be certain or there will be blood :lol: but they are pretty much nearly alwasy right.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

romerojpg wrote:Not sure if Braveheart is still cut in the UK on Blu Ray, if so we are all stuffed then and wont get to see the throat slitting in HD.
Speak for yourself.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

"We" as in UK people, the vast majority have one region UK players.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Movietyme got their discs :) they have on their site they are coded, and it spread on the entire net in about an hour haha they better be certain or there will be blood :lol: but they are pretty much nearly alwasy right.
Thanks.

I'm definitely getting both. I don't care about the Braveheart cut, it's what I consider to minor to notice.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The UK and uncut versions run the same length (speed adjustment notwithstanding) because they didn't just cut the frames they replaced them with an alternate angle where you can't see the blood trickle down. It's a nasty scene but justified and if Fox were to resubmit it would no doubt be passed uncut.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

"The player has a more significant tech ace up its sleeve. Unlike the original PS3, which decoded high-rez soundtracks to linear PCM, you can now bitstream out Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio to a waiting receiver over HDMI."

This is regarding the new PS3 Slim. That's an interesting change. On-board Decoding is still the way to go but it does mean you've got the choice and if the DACs in your Amp are better (which considering that new Amps are coming out all the time, it's certainly possible), you can now actually make use of them.

Source: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews ... l+28+08+09
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

my son is getting a ps3 slim next week-ebayed his old one for £210,paying £249 for the new one #but# he gets the new Batman game for which he already has a buyer at £30....so the upgrade is costing him little more than a tenner...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

If they are silent I may get one, if not stuff them.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Why does he want to upgrade Salty? In some ways it looks worse, going by that review. Personally Slim is the way to go now but I don't see the reason to upgrade.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:Why does he want to upgrade Salty? In some ways it looks worse, going by that review. Personally Slim is the way to go now but I don't see the reason to upgrade.
eh? if someone came to me and offered to replace my 2 year old tv with a brand new model at a cost of a tenner i'd bite their hand off!!the new 12 month guarantee he'll be getting on his new machine is worth the tenner alone.he uses it as a gaming machine,he isn't really interested in films. quote from the review "Conclusion
While there are (undeniably pedantic) caveats regarding the unit, I think there’s little doubt that the PS3 Slim is destined to re-energize Sony’s PlayStation brand. It’s priced right, looks great and performs well. In this regard, Sony has got its game groove back." sounds ok to me though i'll be keeping my region A 80GB original.
Godzooki
King of Beggars

Post by Godzooki »

saltysam wrote:my son is getting a ps3 slim next week-ebayed his old one for £210,paying £249 for the new one #but# he gets the new Batman game for which he already has a buyer at £30....so the upgrade is costing him little more than a tenner...
I'm getting the Ps3 slim for the bedroom. Sounds like the same bundle too, £249 plus Arkham Asylum from Blockbuster. I have £75 store credit and ill be selling Arkham as i have already finnished it on X360. £150....is pretty good value! :D
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:Why does he want to upgrade Salty? In some ways it looks worse, going by that review. Personally Slim is the way to go now but I don't see the reason to upgrade.
:clap:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:eh? if someone came to me and offered to replace my 2 year old tv with a brand new model at a cost of a tenner i'd bite their hand off!!
Of course but the TV will be better. The PS3 Slim is just different. Sure you'll get a new guarantee but that IMO isn't worth the hassle, if it's working fine. Fair obviously, the PS3 Slim is probably better but it would be more like changing the car for virtually an identical one, when the original car works fine.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I don't think the Slim is backwards compatible either.