Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Post by grim_tales »

Get a room you two :D
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:I seriously doubt that given it's cost compared with other BD Players. What nifty feature? That it plays BDs maybe.
I shouldn't say exclusive but it has 3 features that will appeal to casual buyers: Fast loading time, very low power consumption, WIFI ready. Of course Brad you'd know this if you had bothered to click on the link I provided in my first post that started this mess. You would then also have known that my photoshop job with the disc + player on the last page was a mock up and not a picture of a top loading player like you thought it was. You also would know that while this player is designed primarily for wall mounting, they also provide a stand so it can be placed in a video cabinet in a more standard orientation. As someone who has actually seen the player I also know it has legs on the bottom for those who wish forgoe the wall mount & stand and place it flat down in a standard orientation.

Just imagine that, you actually learning what you were talking about before starting an argument! Afterall it's that kind of forethought that makes you such a beloved figure on these boards! :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You would then also have known that my photoshop job with the disc + player on the last page was a mock up
I worked that out, thanks.
and not a picture of a top loading player like you thought it was.
Nope I never though it was a top loader, that would be pretty stupid given it's a wall mounter.
You also would know that while this player is designed primarily for wall mounting, they also provide a stand so it can be placed in a video cabinet in a more standard orientation.
And they've thought of no way to get discs in, once in said cabinet? I doubt it.

Wifi is good. They should all have this.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:I worked that out, thanks.
Hmmm:
bradavon wrote:Your picture explains it's perfectly. As you're not understanding me, I shall explain again. I'm sure you "originally" said slot loader, whereas your picture shows it's clearly not that, hence all the confusion.
:help:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

:clap:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Brad: :|

Shingster: :?

Shingster: :(

Shingster: :roll:

Shingster: :dontknow:

Shingster: :banghead:

Shingster: :knob:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:lol: :lol:
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Hehe, I knew there was a reason I kept the KNOB smiley! :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,
I was wondering what do I consider when buying HDMI cables? These ones seem more expensive but theyre Panasonic which would match the TV/BD :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-HDMI- ... 246&sr=1-5

I'm sure there are decent ones cheaper, those are designed for Viera TVs though. I think I'll only need 1 cable (TV to BD obviously) but other than that, not sure.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Over 1.5m it really doesn't matter what brand you get Grim so go with some cheapo ones from your local Maplin or something. I can recommend this cable as I have that one in 7m and it works flawlessly.

Remember the quality of the HDMI cable only really becomes important when we're talking long distances (above 40-50ft).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's a cable. You don't really care if it's the same make as the TV do you? Get a £8 job off eBay. You can get some really nice looking ones off eBay for that.

£15 for a cable ouch. With analogue (i.e - Scart) it makes sense to pay "a bit more" but not digital.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ebay £2 job done. Toss cash down the drain paying any more. Paying for really nice looking ones is mental in the head.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

These ones look good also - theyre cheap, the "for HD Ready TV's" doesnt matter though does it? :) (My TV will be full HD not HD Ready).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

The ones you linked to sound fine.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

over £8 is NOT cheap, you could get them for 49p from Asda a few months back and they will be exactly the same picture quality.

Under £2 on Ebay delivered will be IDENTICAL picture wise to nearly all others.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I got my HDMI cable free with the player and it works absolutely fine.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Ebay £2 job done. Toss cash down the drain paying any more. Paying for really nice looking ones is mental in the head.
I've not seen them that cheap on eBay, especially when you included postage . Personally I would pay about £8, they tend to be gold plated which is debatable if you see the difference but it is true gold is a better conductor than silver.
grim_tales wrote:These ones look good also - theyre cheap, the "for HD Ready TV's" doesnt matter though does it? :) (My TV will be full HD not HD Ready).
They're all HD Ready. Remember I said, your TV will be HD Ready, HD Ready 1080p. I still use the Full HD moniker but nowadays it's better known as HD Ready 1080p. Which is more confusing as average joe hasn't got a clue what 1080p means.
Markgway wrote:I got my HDMI cable free with the player and it works absolutely fine.
That's annoyingly rare. It's good they included one, especially as the Player was so cheap.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:but it is true gold is a better conductor than silver.
No it isn't, silver is a better conductor. Gold is seen as better for audio leads because it's less corrosive.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

There is no difference between a 50p HDMI lead and a £50 one.

Gold connections doesn't make any difference either.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:There is no difference between a 50p HDMI lead and a £50 one.
I'm sure there is. Better quality metal maybe, better general build quality, less prone to breaking.

But obviously it's all marketing bollocks and you'll get the same AV quality form both.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

bradavon wrote:
IronMonkey wrote:There is no difference between a 50p HDMI lead and a £50 one.
I'm sure there is. Better quality metal maybe, better general build quality, less prone to breaking.

But obviously it's all marketing bollocks and you'll get the same AV quality form both.
That is exactly my point. The same AV quality. Build quality doesn't really come into it - once the cable is sat in place, why would you bother moving it?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Can I submit the last few pages of this thread to the BnB funny thread, or whatever its called? It's practically had me in stitches!! Cheered me up no end. :rock:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:Ebay £2 job done. Toss cash down the drain paying any more. Paying for really nice looking ones is mental in the head.
I've not seen them that cheap on eBay, especially when you included postage . Personally I would pay about £8, they tend to be gold plated which is debatable if you see the difference but it is true gold is a better conductor than silver.
Search HDMI then list them in order of cheapest price first, many are less than £2 delivered at Buy it Now prices.

If you would pay about £8 then you have to much cash.

I paid £3 for mine 2 years ago, it was £30+ in the shops for the exact same one.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Did Brad ever get one of the combo players he became a self-declared expert on over at avforums?
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Yeah but it was a slot loader so he couldn't figure out how to put the discs in the damn thing! :lol:
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

LOL!