Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by saltysam »

Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

I was just wondering when the hell Fortune Star was going to put the HD masters to proper use! Hopefully these are region free... and won't burn a hole in my wallet. But as long as I've been waiting to see these in HD, it'll be hard to pass it up! So we're looking at a June release? And why isn't Game of Death in there? Hell, the HK Fortune Star/IVL DVD set had not only Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon, and Enter the Dragon, but had Game of Death and Game of Death II as well. Hmm, guess more info will show up soon...

UPDATE! Fortune Star's deal with Kam and Ronson also includes the Police Story trilogy (sorry "First Strike" :( ) and Once Upon a Time In China trilogies on blu-ray! Here's the link:

http://login.vnuemedia.com/hr/content_d ... 557bb9f5dc
Last edited by Old Pang Yau on 18 May 2009, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Transfers, Transfers, Transfers.

If they are acctually HD in quality then its good, if not stuff them!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Fantastic. I remember reading years ago, the FS HD transfers were supposed to be great. Hopefully they'll tweak them again, if needed.

I hope it's not just a box set as Enter the Dragon is a waste of time. Fist of Fury is a no brainer. Unless it's expensive I'll get Way of the Dragon but I'm in no rush to upgrade by Big Boss. The DVD is fine for that one.
Old Pang Yau wrote:Hopefully these are region free...
Have "Kam & Ronson" released any Blu-rays yet?

I take it the Joy Sales deal is now over?
Old Pang Yau wrote:but had Game of Death and Game of Death II as well. Hmm, guess more info will show up soon...
I'm sure they will but given the higher retail pricing, I bet they want to get the big ones out first.
Old Pang Yau wrote:UPDATE! Fortune Star's deal with Kam and Ronson also includes the Police Story trilogy (sorry "First Strike" :( ) and Once Upon a Time In China trilogies on blu-ray! Here's the link:

http://login.vnuemedia.com/hr/content_d ... 557bb9f5dc
Fantastic, thanks. I'm all over OUATIC Trilogy too.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well none can be as bad as Enter The Dragon looks at the moment in HD :roll: did my head in that jaggie mess. Made me want to burn the disc.

I would toss that in the bin and upgrade is they re-do the transfer.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It will only have the Cantonese dub, so pointless.
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Enter the Dragon is in "HD trouble" right now if you ask me. The Warner Bros Region A is indeed a jagged mess (even at $14 brand new in store, I haven't bought it), and if the Fortune Star DVD is any indication, the HD transfer of the HK cut isn't really too impressive.

And hey, if it's a boxset, I'm not hesitating. The Bruce Lee series was the first group of martial arts films I ever saw, around 3 years old (let's not get into the "my god, you were too young to watch those!" argument again like we did with Kickboxer!). I'm plunking down for Police Story as well. Although I hope they attempted to "re-remaster" the first PS, as I wasn't too happy with their transfer. PS2 and 3 were good though.

As for the Bruce Lee films, if the DVDs are any indication, Big Boss will probably look the best. Despite being the oldest film, the FS transfer of TBB is the sharpest of the Bruce Lee films and has the boldest color palette. Fist of Fury is just as sharp, but the colors are a tad muted in comparison, and while Way of the Dragon is colorful, it's not quite as sharp... but I think that boiled down to the film stock used to shoot it.

Anyway, I'm just really excited to see these get the blu-ray treatment... feels like I'm back in college 5 years ago getting excited about IVL releasing the Bruce Lee and Police Story boxsets :D

P.S.: I believe there were intense rumors (keywords "intense" and "rumors") that Fortune Star was going to buy the surviving prints of the uncut Big Boss a couple of years back... doubt it ever came through, which is a shame. This would've been a perfect opportunity. Would've been like when Warner Bros released the workprint of Blade Runner alongside the Final Cut.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Enter The Dragon BD is still far superior to the dvd.you guys are a little picky.
working class blu-ray fan
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Eh, perhaps, but when I was sitting and watching it, I couldn't help but stare at the "jaggies"... I tried to ignore it! *sigh* Oh well. Only thing I'm worried about for the new Blu-rays are the audio mixes... I'm terrified they'll think "5.1/DTS/Lossless only! No mono!" After all the hell we've gone through with DVDs, blu-ray probably won't be the end of it.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Nah its a total and utter mess if you see jaggies, I see them and they gut any transfer. I had to turn it off, it was that bad.

Few films look as shit as that, The Fugitive on HD is even worse and a recent standard dvd I got Vexile! staggering mess of jaggies thats was, the worse I have seen in my life! mindblowing mess of lines. You can sit further back, but when its as shit as these listed here, you have no chance at all. Its a crime to even release them.

It can be the single best transfer in the entire world, but if its got jaggies its a fucking instant fail and a total waste of time. Any company releasing a transfer with jaggies, well they need a hefty fine.

The standard dvd of Enter the Dragon is better for me by miles just becuase the jaggies gut the HD transfer.
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

I just wish I knew how these jaggies happen... and mainly from Warner's catalog titles. I know Lethal Weapon 2 was another major victim of jaggies.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Old Pang Yau wrote:I just wish I knew how these jaggies happen... and mainly from Warner's catalog titles. I know Lethal Weapon 2 was another major victim of jaggies.
Because they upconverted 1080i masters to 1080p i believe.
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Ohhhh... well that's not cool at all. So much for quality control.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Old Pang Yau wrote:and while Way of the Dragon is colorful, it's not quite as sharp... but I think that boiled down to the film stock used to shoot it.
Agreed. Of all the DVDs of WOTD I've seen, it's always looked awful. Easily the worst of the four Bruce Lee films.

HKL's Platinum FOF and TBB look fantastic, pink aside.
saltysam wrote:Enter The Dragon BD is still far superior to the dvd.you guys are a little picky.
Remove the word little and I agree. Agreed. It looks good.
saltysam wrote:Because they upconverted 1080i masters to 1080p i believe.
WTF! Really?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
saltysam wrote:Enter The Dragon BD is still far superior to the dvd.you guys are a little picky.
Remove the word little and I agree. Agreed. It looks good.
Nope, when a disc makes you feel sick, yes physically sick, its a bloody bad disc. 3 discs have made me feel that was, all jaggie shitfests. Its like motion sickness or something, really makes my head litterally hurt. It took me a few goes to watch all them 3 jaggied films, I had to turn each one off after short session to get thru them.

In my eyes if a disc can make you feel ill, picky doesnt even come close. Will also effect peoples equipment in differnt ways as well :) which can be shit for reviewers, as hell it may be milder on their set up, I tested them on more than one set up so at least its not just mine.

Vexile on dvd acctually is a scary transfer! perfect dvd and amazing transfer, but the jaggies decimate it. Took m3 3 nights to get thru the full film! :lol:
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

romerojpg wrote:Nope, when a disc makes you feel sick, yes physically sick, its a bloody bad disc. 3 discs have made me feel that was, all jaggie shitfests. Its like motion sickness or something, really makes my head litterally hurt.
It's coz you sit 2 feet away from your fucking TV! :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

lol, Romero... you're mental :lol:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:
Old Pang Yau wrote:I just wish I knew how these jaggies happen... and mainly from Warner's catalog titles. I know Lethal Weapon 2 was another major victim of jaggies.
Because they upconverted 1080i masters to 1080p i believe.
That's what I read.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I read something about JS releasing an uncut version of TBB too, maybe the surviving footage will be included as deleted scenes if they can't buy them? HKL said the surving print was in the hands of a private collector (Fred Weintraub?) but it was not available for sale or distribution.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wouldn't expect TBB to be fully uncut, if we get it great but otherwise the chance is so unlikely don't expect it.
gasteropod wrote:lol, Romero... you're mental :lol:
Mental as . . .

If a disc makes you ill, then you have a serious problem. The king of exaggeration strikes again.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

"Drama" and "Queen" spring to mind :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
gasteropod wrote:lol, Romero... you're mental :lol:
Mental as . . .

If a disc makes you ill, then you have a serious problem. The king of exaggeration strikes again.
You are soo clueless its scary.

People can by physically sick from fast moving films thats a fact, so obviously some things can make people feel ill :lol:

You were the idiot in the past saying sitting to near to a screen can give you a headache :lol: guess you were also spouting crap.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Romero why the fuck do you always specifically quote me? I'm quoting Gas you fuck! Change the record.
People can by physically sick from fast moving films thats a fact, so obviously some things can make people feel ill
Obviously but that is entirely different to what you said.
You were the idiot in the past saying sitting to near to a screen can give you a headache Laughing guess you were also spouting.
Which is what Shing said, you numbnutt :roll:.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

You really dont know what you said do you :lol:

This obviously went from your brain
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I know I said that because I said it. Your point? You never mentioned fast moving but jaggies, until now.

You still have a habit of quoting me, for no good reason, often when I'm repeating what others have previously commented on.