The Terminator & Terminator 2 HD Releases!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Everywhere.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The USA BD is £12.99 at Playusa.com. Checking nearly 10 UK stores, the UK one is nearer £16.99/£17.99.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I meant the version to get, as in UK first release :D

The New Disc is a downgrade, no idea why anyone would go near that, £12.99 for a downgrade from the previous version, No thanks.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Why is the new disc a downgrade?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The image is made shitty, its Noise Reduced and has a grey mist over the image as they look to have increased the brightness.
Compared to the old transfer its easy to see which looks best. Unless you love having all the grain sucked out of the picture and people made to look more plastic which is gettig to be the norm for some compaines in HD.

There is some good talk about it over here, scroll down to the bottom for a funny Arnie comparison image :D shows you a little of what they have done.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 340&page=3

But most reviews/forums/comparisons seem to be saying the same thing that the new Skynet edition is not the best looking the film has been so far.

Which in my eyes is a joke as I dont give a shit about the extras, I want the film looking perfect and this is not even close to that sadly.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:I meant the version to get, as in UK first release :D
My mistake then.
romerojpg wrote:that, £12.99 for a downgrade from the previous version, No thanks.
It contains all three cuts and remember this is the best the Theatrical Cut has currently looked. Thanks for the link, it does look fucked up. I'll know for myself soon enough.

I'm sure I'll be happy with it and if I don't I already own the German UE HD-DVD. Which I believe is the same transfer as the original UK BD. Also
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:It contains all three cuts and remember this is the best the Theatrical Cut has currently looked.
Not if it's worse than the original Lionsgate (without the new processing)?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Its strange as T2 is my must own HD title, yet so far all of them fall into the must not own category still. Surley someone can do a perfect version of that film soon!?

Still as you say the 3 cuts on the net disc really pains me to avoid it :( I really have no clue what to buy at the moment, but hell I cannot see another version coming along any time soon. Maybe when T4 comes to HD they may re-release it in some far off place :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i'm easily pleased but the image on the original optimum bare bones BD is very good indeed.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Not if it's worse than the original Lionsgate (without the new processing)?
I'd be very surprised if it's worse than that pile of BD25 MPEG2 shite but granted you never know.

Romero: Get the Japanese BD. It has all the cuts and reportedly better PQ.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Japan aint cheap sadly at the moment with the dreadful exchacnge rate, still its between that and the UK disc thats for sure :)

I need T2 in HD :lol: sold my old dvds and everything ready to get it, they went over a year ago :D thik I have the Ulitimate dvd still for the extras.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I'd be very surprised if it's worse than that pile of BD25 MPEG2 shite but granted you never know.
The review seems to suggest that the Skynet Ed is from the same master as the original Lionsgate disc but with new processing - and that it's the processing that's causing the extra problems? Maybe I've misunderstood?

Wasn't there a cap comparison that showed only minute difference between the original Lionsgate and UK versions? Not that caps are representative of playing motion of course.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:The review seems to suggest that the Skynet Ed is from the same master as the original Lionsgate disc but with new processing
I missed that. As I have the disc on it's way, I've not read much about it.
Markgway wrote:Wasn't there a cap comparison that showed only minute difference between the original Lionsgate and UK versions? Not that caps are representative of playing motion of course.
There is but I've read many reports that that's rubbish. Who knows!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I compared my German HD-DVD UE Tin with USA BD SE and here's what I thought.

First the packaging, the German HD-DVD comes in a rather neat steelbook but the USA BD is a standard slim keep case with a rather flimsy slip-case (the UK one is a Tin). I can confirm it's Region A, I had to change my BD Player to play it.

The USA BD takes a ridiculous amount of time to load, easily the worst I've ever seen. The LG BH200 isn't the fastest at loading discs but this was a record. Has anyone else spotted this?

It points out my Player is Profile 1.1 and not 2.0 but also points out it has no Internet access, which it does. More likely it doesn't recognise my UK IP address. Not that I care, I bought it for the different cuts and extras on the disc.

First the audio, both have offer an excellent surround sound experience. The USA BD is noticeably louder but otherwise I couldn't tell any difference. My setup offers Full-rate Legacy DTS 5.1 (no Lossless), so I cannot comment on the USA BD's 6.1 or German HD-DVD's 7.1. I suspect the USA BD is louder due to being DTS-HD Master Audio compared with DTS-HD High Resolution on the German HD-DVD.

Now to the picture. Sadly the USA BD is noticeably softer than the German HD-DVD but likewise the German HD-DVD is clearly from an older Master, it looks muddier and less cleaned up. Otherwise both look pretty darn similar, neither look like a modern film. To be clear when I say it's softer, there really isn't a huge amount in it. I doubt I'd have noticed if I wasn't able to compare but softer it is. If I had to pick which I prefer, I'd say easily the USA BD. The German HD-DVD (sharpness aside) looks rough and certainly not in as good a shape. As said previously neither offer the WOW factor of a modern film on BD/HD-DVD.

I believe the German HD-DVD is based on the same Studio Canal transfer that always makes up the UK HD-DVD, UK BD and French HD-DVD.

It's worth remembering the link Romero offered compares the USA BD SE with Japanese BD SE. The latter (given the cost) was never in competition for me. I don't care how much better it looks, other than for comparisons sake.

I plan to put both my USA DVD UE and German HD-DVD UE on eBay.
Markgway wrote:The review seems to suggest that the Skynet Ed is from the same master as the original Lionsgate disc but with new processing.
I'm sure the original Lionsgate BD is MPEG2, meaning it cannot be the same Master. Unless I'm mistaken.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Sadly most places have now pulled the UK Blu Ray of T2 :( so its going up in price on Ebay and forums already! shocking! I am looking for it as its suposed to the same as the Japanese picture, but damn its hard to ifnd now at a nice price.

Good job I have a PS3 so I dont have to wait ever for discs to load, that sucks bad. I have also heard some normal players cannot fast forward thru trailers! as there are 20 minutes + on some discs thats insane.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:I am looking for it as its suposed to the same as the Japanese picture, but damn its hard to ifnd now at a nice price.
If that's so. I'm guessing it's the same Master as the French 2 Disc HD-DVD but with extras (which the Special Edition is based upon and it has both cuts). If all that's true, I'd still take the USA BD SE. As I said, sharpness aside it easily looks better. The German HD-DVD UE really isn't "that" good, comparatively speaking. Before I saw the USA BD SE, I thought it looked excellent though.

Are we saying there are essentially two masters? -

* Lionsgate - Used on the USA discs
* Studio Canal - Used everywhere else
romerojpg wrote:Good job I have a PS3 so I dont have to wait ever for discs to load, that sucks bad.
I imagine it would still take longer. Sure I can well believe my LG BH200 is slower than the PS3 (at loading discs) but part of this blame definitely must go to the disc itself. I suspect it's taking longer as it's expecting a Profile 2.0 Player, such as the PS3.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

All of the discs that people say take ages on their players take seconds on the PS3, I have never had more than a few seocnds wait as the PS3 just is perfect for firmware upgrades and speed :)

and hey as far as sharpness goes on a transfer, I can always crank up my screens sharpness levels to max and that makes transfers a bit sharper, try it on your screen it may acctually make it look better :) I never do it, but I have tried it on a few dics just to see if it works and it can at times, for better or worse.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I have but you then start seeing the dreaded edge enhancement.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup it always has a flaw :D

at least you will be £20 for your German set easy, on a forum is best I would say, then no shit Ebay fees which are crippling everyone now!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've been reading that :evil:. I have a pile of discs to go up.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:The review seems to suggest that the Skynet Ed is from the same master as the original Lionsgate disc but with new processing.
I'm sure the original Lionsgate BD is MPEG2, meaning it cannot be the same Master. Unless I'm mistaken.
Does MPEG-2 not refer to the encode rather than the master?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Markgway wrote:Does MPEG-2 not refer to the encode rather than the master?
Brad is mistaken, it's the transfer on the BD that was encoded in MPEG-2, not the master.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I was 50/50 on whether I was right or wrong in my assertion above, thanks.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Terminator & Terminator 2 HD Releases!

Post by grim_tales »

Is the UK Skynet BD basically the same as the US BD (with 3 cuts - TC, SE and Extended SE) and lots of other extras?
How come the US BD is 6 DVDs and the UK BD is 2? I just thought I can get ebay my R1 UE DVD now :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Terminator & Terminator 2 HD Releases!

Post by Markgway »

The six disc set includes the previous DVD editions as well - a bit redundant if you ask me - as well as all of their exclusive extras. You'd have to be a MEGA-FAN to go for that one. The regular Skynet Ed should be enough for the majority. The image is uneven though; it's apparently sharper and more detailed than the old Lionsgate (which I have) but suffers from a high level of edge enhancement and DNR (which the old edition doesn't).