R1

R3

R1

R3

R1

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Don't see any real difference except in the interlacing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's a pretty big difference.
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

The R1 seems to be a bit less cropped on the left and right sides, and the interlacing in the R3 shots are probably mainly from the improper PAL-to-NTSC conversion, as I'm pretty sure the R1 is interlaced as well. After all, I honestly don't think Media Blasters has EVER released something in progressive scan, whether it's Tokyo Shock, Shriek Show, whatever. I'd like to be proven wrong though :D
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Media Blasters promised 'Heroes Two' would be the only interlaced title :).

IVL = PAL>NTSC (maybe IVL license cheaper PAL non-anamorphic masters and have them upconverted?) and definately inferior.

This one will be progressive. I'm curious on everything else like the subtitles. I'm gonna get my copy :). Thanks for the reminder!

Maybe Celestial (their first time?) have applied edge-enhancement as the sharpness looks a bit much :? . What does anyone else think?

I don't really like MB's covers, especially this 'two-faces' one with Ti Lung looking like he's "bulging". Too much generic fire and stuff. Would be good if they can change that.
Scott
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

The same EE is clearly there in both shots of the first comparison grab, so that would indeed suggest it has been applied at the master level by Celestial.
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

chenlung wrote:Media Blasters promised 'Heroes Two' would be the only interlaced title :).
Wow, so after all these years, they're finally making a bit of common sense progress? Eh, even if they were still interlaced, they're still better than what Image Entertainment tried to do, with their PAL->Sped up NTSC->Slowed down NTSC technique. So, it looks like the Dragon Dynasty and Media Blasters Shaw Bros DVDs are progressive, while the others are interlaced... so far.
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Old Pang Yau wrote:
chenlung wrote:Media Blasters promised 'Heroes Two' would be the only interlaced title :).
Wow, so after all these years, they're finally making a bit of common sense progress? Eh, even if they were still interlaced, they're still better than what Image Entertainment tried to do, with their PAL->Sped up NTSC->Slowed down NTSC technique. So, it looks like the Dragon Dynasty and Media Blasters Shaw Bros DVDs are progressive, while the others are interlaced... so far.
I complained about it heavily to the point MB turned into progressive for the films :).

DD and MB are indeed the only NTSC lot doing progressive discs.

They said doing it interlaced wouldn't process it too much and retain the quality. However, people wanting to pause, HDTVs and stuff notice the side-effects of interlacing (NTSC) on 24fps films - the reason it's a bit more important to re-create the frames (even if it were very slightly lower quality).
Scott
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Well, I tried to find this at a Best Buy close to home a couple of days ago... not realizing that it's supposed to come out next week :roll: However, I was at another Best Buy today, and believe it or not, they managed to get a few early copies. Basically found it by accident and had to do a double take.

In short, the transfer looks great. I'm still trying to get over the fact that after all of this time, Media Blasters is FINALLY releasing progressive scan DVDs. Haven't watched all of the disc yet, but I am very impressed so far.