Reg 1

Reg 3

Reg 1

Reg 3

Reg 1

Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Watched the DD last night. Nice DVD of a fun film!

Its worth pointing out that there is some new sound fx on the English track but its fairly restrained!

Had a listen to the commentary by Bey Logan. Very inofrmative but someone needs to tell him the difference between the ching and Ming dynasties!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Apart from the progressive on DD there's no real difference I can see.

The Mandarin mono will surely be a pleasure.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I cannot see any effects like that on my HK version that bad, guess my dvd player gets rid of that sort of ugly jaggie hell better than the normal players out there. If I noticed it, bloody hell I would be upgrading many dvds :D

Still if you constantly pause or have a shitty player I am sure you will, but hell films are for watching not pausing anyway.

The commentary would be nice mind you.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I can't stand the PAL-NTSC transfers of the HK DVDs. they look like hell on my set-up
bradavon wrote:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I used to be able to spot them a mile off on my trustly old Sony DVD player and old TV, my new TV and Oppo dvd player its imposible to notice now, which is a good thing I guess as I must own loads of them out of all my standard dvds.

But it does make me sick looking at screen caps and wondering why on gods earth they still bother doing transfers with shoody mistakes like that.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Salty. Are you going to do a "Come drink with me" comparison too? Why do both look out of focus? Is that just how it is?

As Mark says the DD wins for being Progressive but otherwise they look the same. I guess they used the same source materials.
romerojpg wrote:I cannot see any effects like that on my HK version that bad, guess my dvd player gets rid of that sort of ugly jaggie hell better than the normal players out there. If I noticed it, bloody hell I would be upgrading many dvds :D
It's called a De-interlacer and all DVD Players (I think) have them ;), some are better than others.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Pretty sure all do not have them, and the difference between players is vast. Its far from just de interlacer stuff thats for sure, other things count as much as well. Some shit players can create good image if you TV is quality too.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I was responding to your point about the interlacing, not players in general ;).

I'm sure all DVD Players have de-interlacers, TVs certainly do. AFAIK all Broadcast TV is sent Interlaced, maybe not HD TV. Freeview certainly is. It wouldn't be watchable without one, I think.
Last edited by bradavon on 01 Jun 2008, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

I guess they used the same source materials.
Hmm :roll: ...

:D
romerojpg wrote:I cannot see any effects like that on my HK version that bad, guess my dvd player gets rid of that sort of ugly jaggie hell better than the normal players out there. If I noticed it, bloody hell I would be upgrading many dvds :D
Pause through a few frames and you'll see the ghosting I reckon ;).
It's called a De-interlacer and all DVD Players (I think) have them ;), some are better than others.
Not all have them, but yes, some are better than others in determining the flagging, etc.
Scott
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

De-interlacing doesn't solve the problems with standards conversions sadly
bradavon wrote:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Just press pause at almost any point on an IVL and you'll see horrendous ghosting.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

As I said dont pause it! problem solved and most people would never ever know.

If you sit there pausing every few seconds, your a loon. Watch a film, dont piss about looking for mistakes. If you look hard, you can find almost any transfer may have a niggle or two.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I see your point Romero but I draw the line at standards conversions cause the flaws are evident to me when the film is playing

That said, I own too many such discs! Curse my fondness for 70s hk cinema!
bradavon wrote:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's a strange commenting for you of all people to make Romero. You're forever going on about how bad the picture quality is of DVDs.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:That's a strange commenting for you of all people to make Romero. You're forever going on about how bad the picture quality is of DVDs.
Er and :D how many eggs can you fit up your arse?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Before or after I've fired them out of a canon at you?
eon
Little White Dragon

Post by eon »

hmmm... there is a difference in the screenshots, but I was pretty happy with my R3 DVD...

Having said that, Heroes of the East is probably my favourite Shaw Bros movie, so I may still be tempted to get the DD release, just so I've definitely got the best version.