Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Il Mare: Korean LE vs. Thai SE

Post by bradavon »

First: Korean 2 Disc LE R0 (Confirmed)
Second: Thai 2 Disc SE R0 (Confirmed)

Korean LE Running time: 96:01 NTSC
Thai SE Running time: 96:01 (PAL/NTSC unknown!)
Korean LE Bitrate: 7.96Mbps
Thai SE Bitrate: 7.5Mbps

Subtitle example: Not accurate how the DVD looks and not exact frame!

Captures:

Last edited by bradavon on 09 Jun 2008, 19:06, edited 4 times in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thai 2 Disc SE R3 - Yi-Long kindly adding soon!

Korean 2 Disc LE Details:

* NTSC
* Region Free
* You cannot really see it in the captures but there are several fleck marks throughout at least the first part of the movie.
* I've included an additional subtitle capture to give an idea how bad the grammar is. Sadly the grammar is poor throughout.

The first captures time code is 42 minutes in.

If someone could add captures for the: Korean 1 Disc Non-Anamorphic DVD, Thai 1 Disc DVD, Japanese R2 DVD, Hong Kong R0 Non-Anamorphic DVD or any other DVDs out there.
Last edited by bradavon on 27 Apr 2008, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Is Il Mare any good? It was remade as The Lake House in the US wasn't it?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

It's good if you like korean melodramas.
If you like stuff like Lovers' Concerto, A Moment to Remember, The Classic and Windstruck, you should be fine.

Being a fan of Jeon Ji-Hyun also helps.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Is Il Mare any good?
Do you think it would get so much talk on this forum if it was rubbish? ;). Yes it's excellent, the ending is so touching.

Hopefully when Yi posts Thai captures we'll see a cheap way to buy it, presuming the Thai DVD looks good. If it's an improvement I'll upgrade.

The Korean SE DVD should've been better, the Korean SE DVD is only good because the HK and Original Korean DVDs are rubbish even more. At least it's Anamorphic. I hear the Japanese DVD is the best but that has no English subs and hasn't been compared against the new Thai SE.
grim_tales wrote:It was remade as The Lake House in the US wasn't it?
Yes. I hear it's awful. I also hear despite Keanu playing an architect he's failed to spot the attic he keeps going into doesn't exist :D.
Being a fan of Jeon Ji-Hyun also helps.
I don't think it does, it's the sort of role that suits her well.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Looks like I'll be able to get R2J caps in a day or so but only for the first third of the film, perhaps a little more. I'll match what I can and take a few more caps if I can't get many.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Havent received anything yet, so cant capture it yet either.
Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow or tuesday, although I'll be gone tuesday... and when I get home at 8 or whatever, there will be Champions League...
So I hope I can do some caps on wednesday, if it has arrived by then.
Really hope it will be before saturday, cause I'm pretty sure I'll have enough to do next weekend...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Lourdes wrote:Looks like I'll be able to get R2J caps in a day or so but only for the first third of the film, perhaps a little more. I'll match what I can and take a few more caps if I can't get many.
Forget that, ended up with The Lake House and not Il Mare.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks anyway Lourdes.

Thanks Yi. If you cannot do captures I'll likely by the Thai DVD anyway.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

We know the r2j has the best transfer of the film currently available (unless the thai disc can somehow match or top it) anyway.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It wouldn't be too hard to beat the two Korean releases or the HK release. It's a shame the R2J has no English Subs.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I just checked ethai for the order status, and it says it shipped 22-4, so that's exactly 1 week ago. So not sure of it will be here in time.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What date exactly are you going? That way I'll know if the captures aren't here by X date they won't be coming.

Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Next monday I'm gone, and tuesday I leave for HK (monday I'll first go to my girlfriend's house, where we'll sleep)

I received the discs today. Tell me what program to download and I can have the pics up this night I hope...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Cool, thanks. Follow Lourdes's instructions under:

"Easy Alternative method for taking caps (and more accurate, no filtering by PowerDVD or MPC)"

Here: https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=2428

The subtitle capture you'll need to use another program like Windows Media Player (press the Print Screen Key on your keyboard). It doesn't matter about image quality for that one. If you cannot find that capture, typing out the sentence will do.

We just want to know if the grammar for the Thai release is as poor as the Korean release(s). That capture is at the 42 minute mark, the rest it's hard to say but they're in order.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Not sure if I'll manage to get matching screengrabs, as I'm pretty busy with packing, making lists, making calls, cleaning my room and closets, etc etc...
But I can tell the Thai DVD looks to be 'interlaced', as I noticed some of those 'lines' at times when watching it on the pc.
Also, I'll try to at least capture a pic of the subtitles with mediaplayer tonight, but again, not sure if I'll make it.

Picture quality doesnt seem great on a monitor (1440x900), but when I ran that little piece of software that shows the bitrate, it showed a bitrate of about 7,5 mb/sec, so that's quite good.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:But I can tell the Thai DVD looks to be 'interlaced', as I noticed some of those 'lines' at times when watching it on the pc.
Bugger!

Does it generally look: better, worse or the same?
Yi-Long wrote:Also, I'll try to at least capture a pic of the subtitles with mediaplayer tonight, but again, not sure if I'll make it.
Thanks, if you could. That capture is at the 42 minute mark (NTSC).
Yi-Long wrote:but when I ran that little piece of software that shows the bitrate, it showed a bitrate of about 7,5 mb/sec, so that's quite good.
Good point.

I've just checked and the Korean LE is 7.96Mb

So about the same. That is at least something though, you're right.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:But I can tell the Thai DVD looks to be 'interlaced', as I noticed some of those 'lines' at times when watching it on the pc.
Bugger!

Does it generally look: better, worse or the same?
looks pretty much the same I guess. I dont know. On my monitor it doesnt look as good as it does on an 'old' tv, because of the resolution etc.
It seems to have a bunch of specks and dirt in the beginning.
Yi-Long wrote:Also, I'll try to at least capture a pic of the subtitles with mediaplayer tonight, but again, not sure if I'll make it.
Thanks, if you could. That capture is at the 42 minute mark (NTSC).
Thanks, I got roughly the same screen, with the same subs. The subs are pretty far apart as far as Im concerned.

Yi-Long wrote:but when I ran that little piece of software that shows the bitrate, it showed a bitrate of about 7,5 mb/sec, so that's quite good.
Good point.

I've just checked and the Korean LE is 7.96Mb

So about the same. That is at least something though, you're right.
Seems like it's pretty much the same disc. I dont know for sure ofcourse, as I dont have the original, and I just briefly glanced at this transfer I have here :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Yi. The Korean DVD is Progressive.

Based on that capture it's the same poor subs :(. Thanks again.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Your welcome. Sorry I couldnt take the exact screencaps, but right now, and hopefully I'm off to bed in 10-20 minutes, I'm comparing camera's and all that... and that takes up a lot more time than I care for...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's cool, you're going on a long trip soon. Coming from someone with experience of "long trips" I understand.

It's weird the subs are really far apart on the Thai DVD. So I presume you saw it? What did you think?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:It's cool, you're going on a long trip soon. Coming from someone with experience of "long trips" I understand.

It's weird the subs are really far apart on the Thai DVD. So I presume you saw it? What did you think?
No, I havent watched it yet. I've only flashed through it on the pc to check out the quality, and the subs...

I'll watch it when I get back...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

"I used to sit the last bench of south" - what does that mean?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Means he used to sit on the last (farthest) bench on the south side of the train station.
You no speak engrish?
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Probably NTSC>PAL

Most successful comparison topci ever.