Bruce Lee's Fist

The Modern Japanese Exploitation Thread

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The Modern Japanese Exploitation Thread

The (One-Armed) Machine Girl (2008)

Bradavon's MotY 2008!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpCWJnnWVI

http://www.rue-morgue.com/forums/showth ... p?p=364526
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 26 Mar 2008, 00:40, edited 2 times in total.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

When I first heard about this I thought it would be crap (like almost all exploitation japan produces nowadays). The first posters got my hopes up a bit, and the trailer actually looked nice. Looks like they went old school instead of filling every frame with the usual piece of shit cgi.

Nikkatsu also has another fun looking movie coming out sometime soon: Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge

EDIT: oh, and Brad, please don't even think about merging this crap with my thread.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Looks interesting.
Japanese movie trailers are often misleading, though.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

tom2681 wrote:Looks interesting.
Japanese movie trailers are often misleading, though.
yeah... this could turn out to be one of those realistic intimate dramas, about a handicapped young girl, struggling to survive... ;)
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Yi-Long wrote: yeah... this could turn out to be one of those realistic intimate dramas, about a handicapped young girl, struggling to survive... ;)
lmfao :lol:

Maybe this is what Sailor Suit and Machine Gun should've been like. :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

It's a shame Paul W.S. Anderson didn't direct this.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

HungFist wrote:It's a shame Paul W.S. Anderson didn't direct this.
:D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Hung, I've retitled the thread to suit the content that you're posting.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Wasn't really meaning to post more than this (these two films have been mentioned together quite often) but okay, perhaps a good move.

But, as a reminder to mods: please under no circumstances do merge this with my classic japanese exploitation thread (or, with all respect, I will rip your heads off :) )
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Reminder to Hung: Mods cannot and never have been able to merge ;) . We can Split but not Merge. Dumb I know.

Not that I personally would if I could. I've said I'll be moderating less and contrary to popular opinion intend to stick to that. I can assure you I also only have one head :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the film I've no idea what I'll think of it, not being a fan really though. Battle Royale is fantastic though and that's Modern Japanese Exploitation.
Last edited by bradavon on 26 Mar 2008, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:I can assure you also own have one head :D
Eh?

Battle Royale isn't exploitation, it's a satirical action film. I think you might have the wrong idea of what constitutes an "exploitation film" brad.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Eh?
I meant to say "I only have one head". Hung's sentence is plural not singular. I'll correct the sentence.
Shingster wrote:Battle Royale isn't exploitation, it's a satirical action film. I think you might have the wrong idea of what constitutes an "exploitation film" brad.
Fair enough thanks. I probably don't know. It's not a genre that appeals to me.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Can't say I'm much of a fan either. When I was regularly recieving R1 review copies from Discotek media I'd always post on the exploitation films (the majority of their output) to Kev Gilvear as I knew he'd appreciate them a lot more and review them accordingly.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

What films have you seen?
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Errr, I can't remember right now as I ain't watched much Japanese exploitation in donkeys. Seen the first 2 Hanzo films a while back, they were entertaining but I wouldn't watch again. Must get round to watching the 3rd. Seen the first two Guinea Pig films and thought they were quite dull. Seen a lot of HK CatIII films over the years and only the likes of Untold Story and Eternal Evil of Asia were memorable.

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike exploitation films, I just usually find them ultimately disposable so I rarely purchase any, or keep them when I do. I much prefer the violent exploitation over the sex ones as well. When it comes to reviewing them for DVDTimes, i'd rather a fan of the genre like Kev cover them.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I haven't seen the Guinea Pigs myself, and don't want to either.
The first Hanzo is over-rated imo but the second one is ace.
I'd love to see you give the classic exploitation genre one more chance some day with the first two Female Prisoner Scorpion films, though.

When it comes to cat III I've never given any film more than 3,5/5. Ebola and Billy Tang films I've liked most.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

HungFist wrote:I'd love to see you give the classic exploitation genre one more chance some day with the first two Female Prisoner Scorpion films, though.
I will eventually get round to watching them, just not my priority right now I guess. TBH myself and Kev are thinking about doing some fan commentaries for DVDtimes in the future, & he'll probably want to eventually cover one of the Prisoner Scorpion films, so i'll probably be roped into watching them then. :D

Oh yeah, seen the Lady Snowblood films. Love the first, 2nd one I thought was ok.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Risk
Little White Dragon

Post by Risk »

I suppose this would float your boats

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/its-fiv ... e-trailer/
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Ryuichi Honda remade Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=67591
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Classique
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by Classique »

I'm a bit skeptical on these tokyo shock productions ever since Death Trance.

The only thing you can tell for sure their getting right in stuff TGP and The Machine Girl from the trailers is the gore since it makes up 75% of them.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Actually, I love Death Trance. So much that I've bought it twice. The R2J (first press 2 disc metal tin) has disappointingly soft picture but great audio and extras. I'm really no expert when it comes to audio and I don't even own home theater system... but the R1, which had sharp interlaced transfer, just didn't have nearly as much puch in the audio as the R2J. So I got rid of the R1... but now half of the R2J metal tin when missing (literally, the other half of the tin). Some damn thief must have stolen it. I can't find it anywhere.

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=3832
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Nice cover...

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.547 ... etails.htm

... and another "Legend of" title :lol:

If you're interested in the film (I'm not), I think there's a trailer floating around somewhere. I think I watched it a long time ago.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

The dopey sods have given it the same Eng title as Miramax's release of New Legends of Shaolin.