Pet Hates

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: Pet Hates

Post by luckystars »

Shingster wrote:He came back with over 2000 photos and about half of them was of the painted queue lanes on the floors at places like Tsukiji fish market! :lol:
Brilliant!! At the big stations they have lanes that lead off from where the doors open on Train platforms too. Everyone filters gently towards the doors as the train pulls in, just before exactly-on-time too :notworthy:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

While the asian countries keep developing and improving, we in the west are just stuck in our old ways. Just look at our food, our hygiene, our malls, etc etc.

In Hong Kong the public transportation is great as well.

I hope when my stomach improves one day, that I'll be able to go to Japan or Hong Kong for a longer period of time.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Eh? What's wrong with hygiene in the West? When Karl Pilkington went to China the public toilets had no doors or toilet paper!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

gasteropod wrote:Eh? What's wrong with hygiene in the West? When Karl Pilkington went to China the public toilets had no doors or toilet paper!
Are you kidding me!? In Hong Kong there are those soap-dispensers everywhere so you can quickly clean your hands, in Japan people wear those caps on their faces when they're sick to protect everyone else, and when you go to a japanese toilet IT CLEANS YOUR ASS while playing delicate music.

In the meantime, in the west, we go out on friday and saturday night, get boozed up, fuck some disease-ridden fat slags we picked up 3 minutes earlier, and piss outside in the streets...

'what's wrong with hygiene in the west...' :roll:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Japan is significantly more hygienic than other Asian countries from what I've seen, and you're referring to drunk people in the West so it's not exactly a fair comparison lol.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote: Never underestimate an Englishman's ability to appreciate and abide by a logical queuing system,
hah, that sounds so much like something an Englishman would say :D
Godzooki
King of Beggars

Post by Godzooki »

Add HungFists moderation 'style' and 'execution' to my list of pet hates ;)

Gingers too! :rage:

My pet hates so far

1. Weasels
2. Internet Censorship
3. Ginger Folk
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

luckystars wrote:Brilliant!! At the big stations they have lanes that lead off from where the doors open on Train platforms too. Everyone filters gently towards the doors as the train pulls in, just before exactly-on-time too :notworthy:
You ought to have seen the glee in his eyes when he was telling me about that! He brought up a picture of those gaps and excitedly pointed out that "the the train stops exactly so the doors match those gaps!". This fella has a PhD in engineering! (OK it's chemical engineering, but he works with real engineers as well!!) :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Japanese trains are amazing in accuracy, in all imaginable ways :D

During my one year in Japan, and the two earlier trips to Japan, I have only seen the train being more than 10 seconds late 2 times. One of those was during a snow storm.

Finland is supposed to be a top tech country, and we have a cold winter every year, yet the winter takes The Finnish Railways by surprise. Every winter. Since 1905. It's a national joke. And no one's laughing.

Not everything is perfect in Japan railway traffic, though. At least in the Sapporo-Otaru traffic, for reasons that go beyond me, they have the nicest cars daytime, and the later it gets the worse (and probably older) cars they start using. So, when you're taking the 11:30 train back from karaoke bar and you're tired and drunk, you can be sure you'll be sitting on a hard bench with yout back against the wall and a window behind your head, instead of a comfortable seat.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

HungFist wrote:The Japanese trains are amazing in accuracy, in all imaginable ways :D

During my one year in Japan, and the two earlier trips to Japan, I have only seen the train being more than 10 seconds late 2 times. One of those was during a snow storm.

Finland is supposed to be a top tech country, and we have a cold winter every year, yet the winter takes The Finnish Railways by surprise. Every winter. Since 1905. It's a national joke. And no one's laughing.

Not everything is perfect in Japan railway traffic, though. At least in the Sapporo-Otaru traffic, for reasons that go beyond me, they have the nicest cars daytime, and the later it gets the worse (and probably older) cars they start using. So, when you're talking the 11:30 train back from karaoke bar and you're tired and drunk, you can be sure you'll be sitting on a hard bench with yout back against the wall and a window behind your head, instead of a comfortable seat.
Don't get me fucking started on the railways. Holland is a mess as well. Not JUST in the winter btw (although obviously it all goes to hell then...), but their quality is just a fucking joke...

...plus it's expensive as hell as well.

Holland sucks. I wanna find the little shitty kid with who had his finger in that dike, and beat the shit out of him. Little bastard. We probably would have been better off if we just would have kept the germans as our occupiers!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

brooce-leroy wrote:Yeah, brad, i agree with the whole 4X4 thing. I don't get it. If I could afford a car like that I'd get a something bigger than what I have, but not one of them. They would have come in useful for the snow, mind. I got trapped a few times.
If I could afford it, I'd get something like a Subaru Impreza, which I've just googled and apparently they're all 4x4 too. Go figure! A car that isn't massive but still 4x4.
brooce-leroy wrote:RE the fake thing - I don't like fake tans where the girls look orange. And it always seems to look patchy. At least get it done properly a la Ross in Friends.
I'm not a fan of fake tans. White people are supposed to look, white. Ironically Thais by whitening lotion to make them look whiter, disliking their darker skins. We're never happy with what we've got :D.
brooce-leroy wrote:And women/girls who stroll around town in their pyjamas.???
Me too. They're not technically pyjamas but sure look like it, with those dumb ugg boots.
grim_tales wrote:I agree with you Gas, but whats the point of a travelator walkway thing at an airport? You can WALK faster than that :D
Now those are supposed to aid working when you're carrying heavy luggage. You are supposed to work on those. It annoys me when people stand still on them. Escalators it's acceptable to stand still. The way they do in London works best, if you want to stand still you stand on the right, allowing those who want to walk up to walk on the left. This should be standard escalator practice.
IronMonkey wrote:- People who can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're".
- People who can't tell the difference between "there", "they're" and "their".
Me too. Although I rarely comment on it because we all make spelling/grammar/punctuation mistakes sometimes. The their/they're one derives from the fact no one actually says they're when speaking. It's always incorrectly their.
HungFist wrote:Typical caucasian stupidity. In Japan everyone who stands in the escalator stands on the left side, leaving the right side open for those who are in a hurry. No one in the west ever came to think of that being possible... :(
Likewise Japan is an incredibly chauvinistic and sexist society. Stupid Japanese.
Yi-Long wrote:While the asian countries keep developing and improving, we in the west are just stuck in our old ways. Just look at our food, our hygiene, our malls, etc etc.
What nonsense! Have you been to South East Asia? Mainland China? India?

Mainland Chinese is full of smog in big cities, there are absolutely no road traffic rules in Vietnam/India (none that are followed anyway). The West is no better or worse. No country is perfect. Each has things we do better than another but worse than some other country.
Yi-Long wrote:In the meantime, in the west, we go out on friday and saturday night, get boozed up, fuck some disease-ridden fat slags we picked up 3 minutes earlier, and piss outside in the streets...
That's because our personal life is important to us. It's completely skewed towards work, work, work in Asia. Working ridiculous hours and frankly having no life. Yep I'd love to work until I make myself ill, as happens in Asia. A Korean friend once commented how she wished Japanese and Koreans had a better personal vs. work life. We all need to work but personal life is more important.

Your viewpoint of Asia is completely romanticised.
Shingster wrote:You ought to have seen the glee in his eyes when he was telling me about that! He brought up a picture of those gaps and excitedly pointed out that "the the train stops exactly so the doors match those gaps!".
I found it just as hilarious and took several pictures too :D. They're like robots at stations,
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I stand to the right side on London Underground escalators to let people past. Those are some long ass escalators... and if you're in a hurry you don't want to get stuck behind someone wih luggage. The ones I was talking about were mall escalators where your 'journey' lasts about 10-15 secs and you get buggers moaning at having to wait.
Godzooki
King of Beggars

Post by Godzooki »

bradavon wrote:
brooce-leroy wrote:Yeah, brad, i agree with the whole 4X4 thing. I don't get it. If I could afford a car like that I'd get a something bigger than what I have, but not one of them. They would have come in useful for the snow, mind. I got trapped a few times.
If I could afford it, I'd get something like a Subaru Impreza, which I've just googled and apparently they're all 4x4 too. Go figure! A car that isn't massive but still 4x4.
brooce-leroy wrote:RE the fake thing - I don't like fake tans where the girls look orange. And it always seems to look patchy. At least get it done properly a la Ross in Friends.
I'm not a fan of fake tans. White people are supposed to look, white. Ironically Thais by whitening lotion to make them look whiter, disliking their darker skins. We're never happy with what we've got :D.
brooce-leroy wrote:And women/girls who stroll around town in their pyjamas.???
Me too. They're not technically pyjamas but sure look like it, with those dumb ugg boots.
grim_tales wrote:I agree with you Gas, but whats the point of a travelator walkway thing at an airport? You can WALK faster than that :D
Now those are supposed to aid working when you're carrying heavy luggage. You are supposed to work on those. It annoys me when people stand still on them. Escalators it's acceptable to stand still. The way they do in London works best, if you want to stand still you stand on the right, allowing those who want to walk up to walk on the left. This should be standard escalator practice.
IronMonkey wrote:- People who can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're".
- People who can't tell the difference between "there", "they're" and "their".
Me too. Although I rarely comment on it because we all make spelling/grammar/punctuation mistakes sometimes. The their/they're one derives from the fact no one actually says they're when speaking. It's always incorrectly their.
HungFist wrote:Typical caucasian stupidity. In Japan everyone who stands in the escalator stands on the left side, leaving the right side open for those who are in a hurry. No one in the west ever came to think of that being possible... :(
Likewise Japan is an incredibly chauvinistic and sexist society. Stupid Japanese.
Yi-Long wrote:While the asian countries keep developing and improving, we in the west are just stuck in our old ways. Just look at our food, our hygiene, our malls, etc etc.
What nonsense! Have you been to South East Asia? Mainland China? India?

Mainland Chinese is full of smog in big cities, there are absolutely no road traffic rules in Vietnam/India (none that are followed anyway). The West is no better or worse. No country is perfect. Each has things we do better than another but worse than some other country.
Yi-Long wrote:In the meantime, in the west, we go out on friday and saturday night, get boozed up, fuck some disease-ridden fat slags we picked up 3 minutes earlier, and piss outside in the streets...
That's because our personal life is important to us. It's completely skewed towards work, work, work in Asia. Working ridiculous hours and frankly having no life. Yep I'd love to work until I make myself ill, as happens in Asia. A Korean friend once commented how she wished Japanese and Koreans had a better personal vs. work life. We all need to work but personal life is more important.

Your viewpoint of Asia is completely romanticised.
Shingster wrote:You ought to have seen the glee in his eyes when he was telling me about that! He brought up a picture of those gaps and excitedly pointed out that "the the train stops exactly so the doors match those gaps!".
I found it just as hilarious and took several pictures too :D. They're like robots at stations,
And there we have it, number 4 on the list

4. multiple quote response posts
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I stand to the right side on London Underground escalators to let people past. Those are some long ass escalators... and if you're in a hurry you don't want to get stuck behind someone wih luggage. The ones I was talking about were mall escalators where your 'journey' lasts about 10-15 secs and you get buggers moaning at having to wait.
Agreed. I tend to still on the right though, if someone wants to pass, let them.
Godzooki wrote:And there we have it, number 4 on the list. 4. multiple quote response posts
I had 2 days of posts to catch up on :D.

Here's another three:

* People who say "I don't know nothing" (which seems to be most people). How the fuck can you know nothing? It's "I don't know anything". You've already replied in the negative by saying "I don't", you don't need to quantify that by adding nothing too.
* People who spell night/light/right: nite/lite/rite. There is no such spelling as lite!
* TV shows like EastEnders that deliberately use these incorrect way of speaking to make it more real but instead just add to the belief it's said correctly.
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Post by Xenon »

bradavon wrote:* People who say "I don't know nothing" (which seems to be most people). How the fuck can you know nothing? It's "I don't know anything". You've already replied in the negative by saying "I don't", you don't need to quantify that by adding nothing too.
You can blame back people for that. Multiple negatives in a sentence is one of the traits of ebonics.
bradavon wrote:* People who spell night/light/right: nite/lite/rite. There is no such spelling as lite!
Nintendo begs to differ.

tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

HungFist wrote:Hi, Tom. Nice to see you again. How about making a comeback?
Hello, Hungfist my old buddy. :)
No thanks, I see you've still got major troll issues around here. And that's probably my BIGGEST pet hate. :rage:

Over the years I've developed an allergy to useless bullshit, which means most internet forums are dangerous for my health.
But I'll be sure to come here whenever I have anything useful to contribute. See you. :thumbs:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:* People who spell night/light/right: nite/lite/rite. There is no such spelling as lite!
Err, yes there is! You know for someone who has so many pet hates regarding bad spelling and grammar you should really learn more about the language you type in - oh and your posts on these boards are usually riddled with far more spelling/grammatical mistakes than those of any other member! :dontknow:
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

Not having a dig at you brad, but you did recently type "shitbrake" (which doesn't make any sense, unless your brakes have been smothered with shit, or you could maybe say the brakes are not of the required standard), when you actually meant "shitbreak" :P
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

And you also misspelt turquoise as 'purple' :lol:
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

brooce-leroy wrote:Not having a dig at you brad, but you did recently type "shitbrake" (which doesn't make any sense, unless your brakes have been smothered with shit, or you could maybe say the brakes are not of the required standard), when you actually meant "shitbreak" :P
Christ, you don't have to go even that far back to get some classic brad quotes, this one was written today:
bradavon wrote:Isn't Macbeth considered one of Shakespeare's best plays? I believe several film adoptions have one plenty of awards etc...
could the identity known as brad actually be two different people? :icon_suspect: :D
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Shingster wrote:
Err, yes there is! You know for someone who has so many pet hates regarding bad spelling and grammar you should really learn more about the language you type in - oh and your posts on these boards are usually riddled with far more spelling/grammatical mistakes than those of any other member! :dontknow:
:D :lol: :P ;) :rock: :clap: :notworthy: :thumbs:
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Xenon wrote:You can blame back people for that. Multiple negatives in a sentence is one of the traits of ebonics.
White people say it just as much.
Xenon wrote:Nintendo begs to differ.

20th Century Fox seem to reckon quadrilogy is a word, it doesn't make it correct. Lite is used so often, it's kind of become an acceptable word but it doesn't man it's actually accurate.
Shingster wrote:Err, yes there is!
No, really there isn't. By that token rite and nite are correct spellings too, yes?
Shingster wrote:oh and your posts on these boards are usually riddled with far more spelling/grammatical mistakes than those of any other member! :dontknow:
Worse than Romero off the top of my head? I think not.
brooce-leroy wrote:Not having a dig at you brad, but you did recently type "shitbrake" (which doesn't make any sense, unless your brakes have been smothered with shit, or you could maybe say the brakes are not of the required standard), when you actually meant "shitbreak" :P
True. It's slang though and a quick Google search will come up with as many people using shitbreak as shitbrake. Both are made up words, so odd example to be given. Iron Monkey thought it was shitbrick :D.
gasteropod wrote:And you also misspelt turquoise as 'purple' :lol:
Correction I misread your post. Haven't we been over this already?
Shingster wrote:could the identity known as brad actually be two different people? :icon_suspect: :D
Oh give over. Now you're nitpicking. Finding fault for the sake of it. There is a big difference between being able to spell etc... and typos. Something often deliberately forgotten when it's "brad picking on time" :roll:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
Shingster wrote:oh and your posts on these boards are usually riddled with far more spelling/grammatical mistakes than those of any other member! :dontknow:
Worse than Romero off the top of my head? I think not.
Difference is I DON'T GIVE A FUCK - it is the net :lol: and I never tell others off for bad spelling etc.. :thumbs: so hey.

Yes you is far more muddled than even my not looking at the screen or keyboard typing :rock: you know its true :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:and I never tell others off for bad spelling etc.. :thumbs: so hey.
I already said in one of my posts earlier I don't either :?. This is a "pet hates" thread. Show me where I've corrected someone for their spelling/grammar/punctuation? Seriously please do, you won't be able to (unless it's ancient maybe, assuming the forum goes back that far). I can show you plenty where I've been corrected.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Now those are supposed to aid working when you're carrying heavy luggage. You are supposed to work on those.