Show your desktop ! (56k warning)

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Show your desktop ! (56k warning)

Post by Yi-Long »

I also use my program-shortcuts from the start-menu, like Shingster.

TBH, I'm a bit worried about what direction MS is going with Windows, cause I liked Vista en W7 just fine, and when you look at progress from MS on MSN messenger (or windows live messenger or whatever) and the Xbox 360 dashboard, I really don't like how that has changed over the years at all. Hell, I don't even use Messenger anymore.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:just asked what was wrong with the windows 7 start menu
Of which I gave examples. Just because you like it, that's not a reason to keep something. There are more here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011 ... -menu.aspx

That Windows 8 blog is rather interesting, giving detailed information on why choices were made.
Shingster wrote:whilst bemoaning your feedback that windows 8 is being optimised for tablet readers
Have you even installed it for yourself? If not, then STFU about how rubbish Windows 8 is. Something I regularly read we should be doing with movies. The fact you feel qualified to bemoan anything about Windows 8 is laughable.
Yi-Long wrote:TBH, I'm a bit worried about what direction MS is going with Windows, cause I liked Vista en W7 just fine
I liked Vista too (and Millennium before it), it never had a chance at the start being put on hardware clearly intended for XP (Vista with 512Mb memory, what were they thinking?). Once the hardware and drivers were sorted out, there wasn't much seriously wrong with it. It was a bit bloated and clunky though, something Windows 7 fixed. Vista is certainly better than XP, that's for sure.
Yi-Long wrote:and when you look at progress from MS on MSN messenger (or windows live messenger or whatever) and the Xbox 360 dashboard, I really don't like how that has changed over the years at all. Hell, I don't even use Messenger anymore.
What's wrong with MSN Messenger? You don't have to integrate it with Windows Live services and "Compact View" looks just like MSN Messenger always has.

I still use it, for the odd friend who still uses MSN but mostly due to it's Facebook Chat integration. It's a nicer experience than using it at Facebook.com.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Windows 8 is a sink or swim OS. Many asked why couldn't Microsoft just put Windows Phone on a tablet (like Apple did with iPhone). The trouble is, no one buys Windows Phones (despite being a strong product), plenty buy Windows.

Of course laptops aren't going anywhere but desktops are gradually dying (expect in a few niche markets) and the world is slowly going more mobile, tablets are at the forefront of this and Microsoft currently has no tablet solution. Personally I see laptops and tablets coexisting for many years yet. The tablet market has barely taken off and it won't whilst one company completely controls it.

There are plenty of people who hate Metro on Windows 8, there's a distinct chance it'll be anther Vista. Technically it's based on Windows 7, so has a solid core behind it but front end people immediately see is very different. The fact it's only one click to go to the Desktop, will be lost on many.

I'm waiting to upgrade my ageing laptop (first Vista, now Win7) but will when Windows 8 gets released. Touchscreen laptops really need to become much more popular for Windows 8 to work properly.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Ok brad, I'm pulling rank now before I get any more annoyed by your posts: Stop taking this thread wildly off topic with your windows 8 cheerleading. If you want to continue to attack anyone who dares level any form of vague criticism at the new windows OS go and start a dedicated thread about it. :roll:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Attack? Give over with your hyperbole.

This thread was dormant for nearly 2 years. I brought it back to show the Windows 8 UIs, so hardly off topic anyway.