The Expendables 3

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Expendables 3

Post by Yi-Long »

Well, I haven't done extensive research into the life of Chuck, but I just know him from his terrible movies, where he absolutely doesn't impress me as a screen fighter, and I know him from completely idiotic political and religious views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ud3pK5Wa90

I'm sure he's done his share of charity, which is of course admirable. Doesn't stop him from being sucky.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:Well, I haven't done extensive research into the life of Chuck, but I just know him from his terrible movies, where he absolutely doesn't impress me as a screen fighter
Did you read my last post? Can I ask which western martial artists do impress you from that era? I think you're being unduly harsh on someone who paved the way for new blood. When the Kung Fu craze of the 70s died out who else was out there fighting the good fight? Also, have you see any of Chuck's non-martial arts films like Invasion USA or The Hitman?
and I know him from completely idiotic political and religious views.
I strongly disagree with his Evangelical Christian-Republican views also, but that doesn't make him a bad guy, a bad fighter, or a bad movie star. You seem to have let this one aspect cloud your judgement.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Well, I haven't done extensive research into the life of Chuck, but I just know him from his terrible movies, where he absolutely doesn't impress me as a screen fighter
Did you read my last post? Can I ask which western martial artists do impress you from that era? I think you're being unduly harsh on someone who paved the way for new blood. When the Kung Fu craze of the 70s died out who else was out there fighting the good fight? Also, have you see any of Chuck's non-martial arts films like Invasion USA or The Hitman?
I believe I liked Don Wilson back then, although looking back, he wasn';t that much better as an on-screen martial artist as Chuck. Of course, Phillip Rhee was probably one of the better American martial artists doing those crappy movies back then.

Point is, even when there wasn't much else to watch, I could still see very clearly that Chuck just wasn't a great screen-fighter. Slow, not all that smooth in his movement, when it comes to the more advanced kicks, and obviously, the completely shitty choreography back then didn't help much either.

Cynthia Rothrock was good as well.

I believe I saw 1 or 2 of his movies which were focussed more on guns, but didn't care much for that either.

Jean-Claude van Damme showed things we had never seen before, like a grace and flexibility and control and beauty to martial arts, that had really never been captured like that in cinema. The slow-mo jumping spinning kicks, the high leg-holds, the slow-mo stuff, etc etc.
and I know him from completely idiotic political and religious views.
I strongly disagree with his Evangelical Christian-Republican views also, but that doesn't make him a bad guy, a bad fighter, or a bad movie star. You seem to have let this one aspect cloud your judgement.[/quote]

I didn't say his crazy views made him a bad screen-fighter. His poor screen-fighting makes him a bad screen-fighter.

I said he sucks. He sucks. HE SUCKS. And not JUST because of his poor screen-fighting abilities, but he also sucks in other areas, like spouting complete nonsense.

Now he might be a really sweet guy to those he cares about, his family and friends, his fans, his fellow americans, and that's all fine and dandy. But he's also a nationalistic religious right-wing nut-job.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:Image
Well, clearly Taeko was compleyely right about banning you!!! :angry:

:D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote: Well, clearly Taeko was compleyely right about banning you!!!
He knew the truth!!! :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Here's a detailed Theatrical vs. Unrated comparison:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=626620

Of course hard to judge from screencaptures alone, but looks promising. There should be about 80 violence related additions, mostly just seconds or fractions of a second (of people getting hit by bullets), but that could be just enough to make the action more coherent. And I'm very happy they didn't ruin it with shitty CGI blood like they did with Expendables 2.

Now, if they could just delete the other shitty CGI effects. And all the young cast members :tongue:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

To be honest there doesn't appear to anything new violence-wise that would justify an 'R' rating. I would guess that the MPAA objected to the volume of death and carnage rather than how graphic it is (or isn't).
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote:To be honest there doesn't appear to anything new violence-wise that would justify an 'R' rating. I would guess that the MPAA objected to the volume of death and carnage rather than how graphic it is (or isn't).
I think you're right. In sex scenes there are rules to how many "pushes and pulls" (how do you say that in English? :lol: ) you can show with an R-rating... Thanks to MPAA movie characters suffer from premature ejaculation.

(and just to be clear about the additions, what I was talking about was improving the flow, not raising the level of violence).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:I think you're right. In sex scenes there are rules to how many "pushes and pulls" (how do you say that in English? :lol: ) you can show with an R-rating...

Thrusts?
(and just to be clear about the additions, what I was talking about was improving the flow, not raising the level of violence).
I think the added violence is all some fans will care about.

I didn't see anything there that I felt would make E3 a better movie.
The problems are deep rooted, alas.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I think it was to do more with the story than the violence (though that was a stumbling block) in a way...