Spring Breakers

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Spring Breakers

Post by HungFist »

Finally caught on DVD, and now I'm sad as hell I didn't watch it in cinema. An instant cult film and easily one of the year's best movies! Blurs the line between exploitation and incredibly excessive satire. Exactly how did Korine manage to attract popular teen idols (Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson) whose culture he’s mocking into the lead roles and then release the film to their fans, remains the greatest cinematic trick of 2013!

Rather amusing to see all the mainstream hate for the film on Internet :lol:

degeneration
Royal Tramp

Re: Spring Breakers

Post by degeneration »

I thought it was pretty decent too.

From the juvenile perv aspect it was just annoying you didn't get to see the tits of the one you really want to get them out!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

No such problem here: I'm not interested in Western tits :lol:

I regret like motherfucker for skipping this in cinemas. I almost took the second chance to see it on big screen when it had a special screening in Tokyo a few weeks ago called "Midnights for Bitches", but having already watched three pinkus and a Sukeban Deka movie that day I opted for night sleep instead.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

degeneration wrote:I thought it was pretty decent too.

From the juvenile perv aspect it was just annoying you didn't get to see the tits of the one you really want to get them out!
Vanessa Hudgens or Selena Gomez? :(
Tenchu1998
Jade Tiger

Post by Tenchu1998 »

HungFist wrote:...whose culture he’s mocking...
I don't think Korine is mocking that culture - I think he tries to remain neutral, if you are to believe his interviews in the press.

I like 'Spring Breakers', although personally consider this one of Korine's weaker movies. Overall, I like the "Liquid Narrative" with reality and fantasy blending together like colors in water, flowing towards the audience in form of images. It's a good study of that part of today's youth culture, I think, while also having this dreamy tone so to spice it with a "poetic" quality to the modern decadence. The images is the story, and I am totally fine with this. It's just that, I got pretty bored with the movie after the 2nd half - I felt it just kept dragging on and on, losing much of its visual momentum.

As far as Korine movies, in general: 'Gummo' is my favorite, with 'Julien Donkey-boy' at 2nd place. I still think 'Gummo' is the most bizarre movie Korine has directed.