The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Post by Yi-Long »

Sure hope Robin will be in it.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I don't. He's no way dark enough and just gets in the way. Batman works best, when he he works alone.

Thanks for the links Gas. They're wrongly formatted though:

1. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/10/ ... e-riddler/
2. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/10/ ... ax-not-3d/

Pity. The Ridler would've been good. I hope it's a big name villain. The villain in Batman Begins was weak. I'm also pleased to see Dark Knight Rises not being in 3D. The IMAX parts are incredible on the Dark Knight Blu-ray.

I'm pleased it's not Mr Freeze though, he's way to fantastical to have a place in a Nolan Batman movie. Catwoman maybe (Pfeiffer did do a rather good job of that one though). I hope it's not The Pengiun. I've never liked him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's funny Nolan is now considered the man to do superhero films, when only a few years back it was Bryan Singer. Who ended up only making 1 very good film, out of the 3. X-men seriously suffered from poor financing and I find it a frustrating watch (it's a case of, it could've been so much better), X-Men 2 was very good and I also really enjoyed Superman Returns. Both X-Men 2 and Superman Returns whilst good felt restrained though, like Singer didn't have the balls to go the whole hog (which is weird because Usual Suspects is brilliantly written and intelligent).

For me Dark Knight is hands down, the best superhero film ever made. Nolan doing Superman will be fantastic. I just know he's (and his brother) going to make the story so intelligent and take it in a completely new direction.

Read on about Nolan doing Superman: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/03/ ... c-story-1/
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Robin doesn't need to be 'dark', although he has his own demons.

Have you read the comics, Brad?

Mr. Freeze, if handled properly, is a great villain. But so are most of Batman's foes.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:Have you read the comics, Brad?
Nope. Fair point. I should probably retract that point.
Yi-Long wrote:Mr. Freeze, if handled properly, is a great villain. But so are most of Batman's foes.
I guess but I just see it being too cartoony, covering Gotham in ice, with lots of frozen people. Besides the Nolan films have worked well because they firmly have one foot left in reality.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

X-men 2 was restrained? wtf? :icon_suspect:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Bryan Singer is a major douche and Superman Returns is one of the worst movies of the last 10 years.

About Mr. Freeze: his backstory is quite good, his heart blackened by the potential loss of his wife, seeing crime as his only option to somehow save here.

It's not the best villain, but if handled right, he could be used very well. Especially with Bruce Wayne being a billionaire, so you can attach the story in 2 ways, with Wayne maybe trying to help Freeze financially, or being a target, and Batman obviously trying to crack down on his evil ways.

Obviously, it all depends on how it's handled, but I doubt Nolan would agree to making a movie with a dumbass 'joke' character.

But again, personally I'd like to see Robing get introduced, and really show the whole origin story with Robin, so a young kid watching his parents fall to their deaths, knowing Two-Face was behind it, and Batman offering him a chance to cope with that anger and hate and pain and such, something Bruce Wayne himself never really had.

It could be great.

However, I fear that if they'd introduce Robin, he'd be played by a 20+ year old, and I feel Robin should really be played by a KID, not by a twenty-something douche playing a kid.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

You know something's wrong when Mr. Freeze nicks his enterance like from an episode of The Simpsons :icon_suspect:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:You know something's wrong when Mr. Freeze nicks his enterance like from an episode of The Simpsons :icon_suspect:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:X-men 2 was restrained? wtf? :icon_suspect:
You don't reckon it is? Superman, Superman 2, Batman Beings, Dark Knight are so entertaining. X2 was entertaining but not in the same league. Like Iron Man really, that's restrained too. Well made but where was the entertainment? It was shoe horned into the last 20 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I definitely like X2 though.
Yi-Long wrote:But again, personally I'd like to see Robing get introduced, and really show the whole origin story with Robin, so a young kid watching his parents fall to their deaths, knowing Two-Face was behind it, and Batman offering him a chance to cope with that anger and hate and pain and such, something Bruce Wayne himself never really had.
It sounds interesting but that's quite a lot to fit in, along with a Batman and villain story also to fit in. Personally I seriously doubt Robin will be appearing.
Yi-Long wrote:However, I fear that if they'd introduce Robin, he'd be played by a 20+ year old, and I feel Robin should really be played by a KID, not by a twenty-something douche playing a kid.
Surely a kid would be too young to crime fight and be a proper side kick?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Nolan said ages ago that his films are set before Robin exists, i.e. he'd be a child.

Sorry about the messed up links lolz, cheers Brad.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yi-Long wrote:
grim_tales wrote:You know something's wrong when Mr. Freeze nicks his enterance like from an episode of The Simpsons :icon_suspect:
In a Simpsons episode from (I think) the early/mid 90's, McBain/Reiner Wolfcastle bursts out of an ice statue and says "ICE TO SEE YOU!" before mowing everyone down, which is what Arnie himself (as Mr. Freeze) says in Batman in Robin in 1997.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

:lol: Well the animated series version of Mr. Freeze is significantly different to Ahnoldt's interpretation.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:But again, personally I'd like to see Robing get introduced, and really show the whole origin story with Robin, so a young kid watching his parents fall to their deaths, knowing Two-Face was behind it, and Batman offering him a chance to cope with that anger and hate and pain and such, something Bruce Wayne himself never really had.
It sounds interesting but that's quite a lot to fit in, along with a Batman and villain story also to fit in. Personally I seriously doubt Robin will be appearing.
If they have Two-Face as the main-villain, they could combine it with the origin-story of Robin. The Dark Knight was a pretty lenghty movie, and you'd need a Bruce Wayne story anyway, so why not see him adopting the kid and preparing him for the war on crime!?
Yi-Long wrote:However, I fear that if they'd introduce Robin, he'd be played by a 20+ year old, and I feel Robin should really be played by a KID, not by a twenty-something douche playing a kid.
Surely a kid would be too young to crime fight and be a proper side kick?
It works in the comics and the cartoon, so why not in the movie!? Also, don't forget about Hit-Girl. She was pretty young in Kick-Ass.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Two-Face was killed off in Dark Knight and to bring him back would go against reality Nolan is going for, as noted in one of those links above.

I've not seen Kick Ass.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:Two-Face was killed off in Dark Knight and to bring him back would go against reality Nolan is going for, as noted in one of those links above.

I've not seen Kick Ass.
I don't remember Two-face getting killed...!?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

:?
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Superman Returns is the worst cinema experience I've ever had. I will never watch that lame excuse for a film ever again.

For all those wanting Robin in The Dark Knight Rises, tough luck. Nolan has said he doesn't like the character and he'll never have Robin appear in one of his Batman films. Personally I couldn't agree more with him - Robin just doesn't fit in the realistic world that Nolan created in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Roll on 2012!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

IronMonkey wrote:Superman Returns is the worst cinema experience I've ever had. I will never watch that lame excuse for a film ever again.
I'm glad I never watched it in the cinema, but I got it on DVD from my mother in law (she's normally very sweet though, so I don't think it was intentional...)
I did sit through Bowfinger in the cinema, and that was awful.

For all those wanting Robin in The Dark Knight Rises, tough luck. Nolan has said he doesn't like the character and he'll never have Robin appear in one of his Batman films. Personally I couldn't agree more with him - Robin just doesn't fit in the realistic world that Nolan created in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Roll on 2012!
Like I said, when written well, the Robin character makes alot of sense in Batman's world. So I obviously disagree with Nolan on this subject, and I hope a script comes along that might make him change his mind.

That said, I like the 3rd Robin more than I like Dick Grayson, but I doubt they'd skip Dick.

What would you do, Brad? Would you skip Dick!?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm not sure but didnt Bruce Wayne die in one of the current comics? :?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:I'm not sure but didnt Bruce Wayne die in one of the current comics? :?
He's back now. As for villains,Ras Al Ghul is a superb character in the comics,i'd like to see him again.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:I don't remember Two-face getting killed...!?
That's normally the sort of thing I say :D.
Yi-Long wrote:That said, I like the 3rd Robin more than I like Dick Grayson, but I doubt they'd skip Dick.
3rd Robin?
Yi-Long wrote:What would you do, Brad? Would you skip Dick!?
:D
saltysam wrote:Ras Al Ghul is a superb character in the comics,i'd like to see him again.
He was rubbish in Batman Begins. That movie could've done with a better villain.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I can't believe so many people don't remember Two-Face dying in The Dark Knight. How about the scene where Batman pushes him over the ledge to save Gordon's kid? Does everyone think Harvey was just knocked out?! :icon_suspect:
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:I don't remember Two-face getting killed...!?
That's normally the sort of thing I say :D.
Hey hey hey hey hey now..... :icon_suspect:

....no time for insults, Brad! :icon_suspect:
Yi-Long wrote:That said, I like the 3rd Robin more than I like Dick Grayson, but I doubt they'd skip Dick.
3rd Robin?
Yeah.... Dick Grayson is the first, then came the young hoodlum Jason Todd, and after that comes Timothy Drake.

saltysam wrote:Ras Al Ghul is a superb character in the comics,i'd like to see him again.
He was rubbish in Batman Begins. That movie could've done with a better villain.
I agree. In the comics and anime Ras is great, but in Batman Begins he sucked ass. Horrible casting as well.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wouldn't say horrible but a little strange. Liam Neeson did give the film some gravitas though.

I never knew Batman has had 3 Robin sidekicks. Dick Grayson is the only one I've known from the Batman TV Series, Batman (1966), Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.