Multiplex or Independent?

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Multiplex or Independent?

Post by bradavon »

I saw the fantastic "Million Dollar Baby" earlier tonight and from beginning to end there was two sets of kids running around, talking, getting up to go outside and back in again.

By the end I was very annoyed. I even shouted Oi at one point, which seemed to shut up a little. Rude people in cinemas are one of my annoyances in life! One set of kids seemed to have parents with them who were doing their best to control them but the set of kids at the front who barely sat still for 5 minutes seemed to have no adults with them. This is a 12[b]A[/b] for Christ's sake!

One guy afterwards spoke to the steward who said there was staff around all the time. A fat lot of good they were, they must have seen kids were going in and out of the cinema right throughout the film.

It got me thinking what is more preferred multiplex with its big screen, big sound or the smaller, more intimate cinema experience?

For me it's easily the independent cinema. I really dislike (note not hate) multiplexes. They are so sterile and uninviting, with everyone queuing like lemmings for their latest fix of popcorn and coke. Once you get into the cinema unless it's an 18 rated film (and that's not a guarantee) you have to put up with annoying brats or annoying adults. With their sodding mobile phones going off, bloody texting throughout a film and sodding talking.

If you're board, leave! The kids tonight clearly were, so please do us all a favour and get lost.

With independent cinemas you rarely see kids and for that alone they're a joy to visit. I've decided unless the multiplex is showing a film I really want to see I shall not be bothering anymore. I like to get into a film and concentrate on every inch of the screen. I can't do this with so many distractions.

Okay rant over, your thoughts?

[Edited on 22-1-2005 by bradavon]
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i agree with you brad.in the case of million dollar baby excellent movie watched it thursday but it's a leisurely paced drama i can see kids being bored.far better for the bbfc to have certified this a 15 to keep kids out imo.
blade
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by blade »

I dont mind independents and big movie chain cinemas. There is a couple of Independants in my city and go if they are showing foreign movies and indep. films. But if you want to see hollywood movies with your mates on a saturday night I reckon multiplex are the way to go.
Is hillary swank good in it? Did you yell oi down in front.
Mordib
King of Beggars

Post by Mordib »

Well living in rainy birmingham we have no independants. Ive always opted for the big screens in the morning before anyone else bothers to turn up. On my monthly visits to London I sometimes end up at the prince charlses, but I simply cant handle the ticket prices in London, 1.5 tickets = a dvd!!! ludicrous
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by blade[/i]
Is hillary swank good in it?[/quote]
Excellent, better than Clint IMO. Clint is also excellent too though.

[quote]Did you yell oi down in front. [/quote]
Do you mean did I yell oi to the kids in front? Most definitely. Bunch of idiots.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

I love my multiplex (Glasgow UGC - tallest cinema in the world apparently) although yes, I agree that things can get silly with local morons and dirty people being allowed in.

I try and avoid peak times, namely evening 6pm/8pm showings. Best time to go is early morning... perhaps even early afternoon on weekdays. Then you usually get a sound crowd.

My local arthouse is smart but more expensive than the UGC (UGC is £1.75 per ticket, arthouse is approx £4). I only go there if there is a title I REEEEEEEALLY wanna see.

The UGC shows contemporary + mainstream movies. :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

£1.75 per ticket OMG that's so cheap and £4 is cheap to. I pay £4.50 for my arthouse (I'm a member so I get £1 off) and £6.50 for my multiplex.

The problem is 8pm showings are the best time IMO. Cinema isn't the same when it's light outside I'm not sure why.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

[quote][i]Originally posted by bradavon[/i]
Cinema isn't the same when it's light outside I'm not sure why. [/quote]

Fair enough but it doesn't bother me. Earliest showing I've been to was at 10:30am. Watched the Incredibles on day of release and it was shown on the biggest screen. Something like 20 people turned up (all well behaved)... it was great... :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

My local arthouse has free screenings on some Sundays at 11am. I've yet to get to one. "Sunday" at "11am" is to early for me.
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

I prefer to go in the morning/afternoon to avoid the idiots who go to the cinema to do anything [i]but[/i] watch the film.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

If I wanna see a particular film, I usually goto the cheapest place that's showing it. Normally the cheapest place is the multiplex. I usually goto the arthouse cinemas if that's the only place where a particular film is showing (eg when I saw Zatoichi).

In regards to multiplexes, I try to avoid peak times/days like Friday and Saturday nights when all the rowdy large groups of dickhead teenagers with their mobiles are about; and Saturday afternoons when lazy mothers use the cinema as a babysitting service.

I advise you all to DEFINATELY avoid multiplexes during school holiday periods.

The best times I find is on Mon-Wed afternoon/nights, I'm a uni student so I go on my may go see a film on my off days. Tuesday afternoons have always been the cheapest time in NZ for some reason, so there's added incentive.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:In regards to multiplexes, I try to avoid peak times/days like Friday and Saturday nights when all the rowdy large groups of dickhead teenagers with their mobiles are about; and Saturday afternoons when lazy mothers use the cinema as a babysitting service.
LOL I couldn't have put it better if I had tried.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

UGC is £1.75 per ticket
I went in there once but decided not to bother because the ticket was 4.75.

Who do you blow to get your tickets that cheap??? :|

And for me... Independants.

I hate kids. They should not be allowed in cinemas except for "U" certificates.

I really miss the old fleapit that I frequented for years when I was growing up. It was losing money so they turned it into a fucking wine bar. Fucking cocks. :evil: