The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy (2005)

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy (2005)

Post by grim_tales »

I'm a fan of the radio and TV series/books so looking forward to this, I wonder how much they will adapt though? I mean will all 5 books be turned into the 1 film (impossible) or just the first book (more likely I would guess).

Mos Def as Ford sounds interesting (not knowing much about him other than that he raps a bit, I was sorta freaked) but theres no law that says Ford has to be white of course ;) The guy is an Alien for heaven's sake. :D So see what he makes of it.
Arthur of course has to be typically English so Martin Freeman (from The Office) sounds good.

Here's the credited cast...

Martin Freeman .... Arthur Dent
Mos Def .... Ford Prefect
Sam Rockwell .... Zaphod Beeblebrox
Zooey Deschanel .... Tricia McMillan ("Trillian")
Bill Nighy .... Slartibartfast
Warwick Davis .... Marvin the Paranoid Android
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Polly Jane Adams
Bill Bailey .... Sperm Whale (voice)
Mason Ball .... Vogon Minion
Jane Belson .... Extra
Jerome Blake .... Vogon Guard
Anna Chancellor .... Questular Rontok
Richard Coombs .... Vogon High Command
Barry Dowden .... Stunt Builder
Phillip Eason .... Vogon High Command
Jane Garnier
Brian Herring .... Vogon Minion
Mark Jefferis .... Vogon High Command
Simon Jones .... Magrathean Announcer
William Todd Jones .... Vogon Captain
John Malkovich .... Humma Kavula
Steve Pemberton .... Mr. Prosser
Nigel Plaskitt .... Vogon High Command
Alan Rickman .... Marvin the Paranoid Android (voice)
Katherine Smee .... Vogon
James Thrift .... Extra
Robert Tygner .... Vogon High Command
Patrick Walker .... Vogon Guard
Mak Wilson .... Jeltz, Vogon Captain (voice)
Ray Donn .... Humma Worshiper (uncredited)
Rich Johnston .... Congregation (uncredited)

I can say Stephen Fry has now been announced as the voice of The Book which sounds very good. Its' hard to top the brilliant Peter Jones in the original 70's radio broadcasts though as The Book (but William Franklyn does a fine job in the 2004 radio series IMO).

Are they going for a sexy/eye-candy vibe with Zooey Deschanel (from "Elf") to play Trillian?
With that in mind, I think of Sandra Dickinson in the TV series (ditzy, sexy American blonde in tight hot pants) who just wasn't right at all. On the other hand, while the radio Trillian was very English, in the books, she is described as "vaguely Arabic" by Douglas Adams so maybe its good that some characters are a bit different.

I like the idea of Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast though, and Simon Jones, the original radio Arthur Dent, has a cameo.

[Edited on 20-1-2005 by grim_tales]

[Edited on 20-1-2005 by grim_tales]
brassmonkey001
Little White Dragon

Post by brassmonkey001 »

Remind me-who did Martin Freeman play? I can't seem to place him.
Where did you get the info? I find it hard to believe that this is actually going to get off the ground after all these years.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I must say this izs the worst Idea for a film in the history of all things! to spend nearly $100 million on a silly thing like this is beyond a joke!

I liked the TV show, but that was quirky and a silly cheap TV show, this is a mega budget film! and it will easily be the biggest flop of the year I bet anyone that!

theres never been a more certain flop on the horizon for years! (well CatWoman I knew about, but that was obvious). :D roll on the biggest flop of the year 2005!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brass, Martin Freeman played Tim in The Office.
Mostly that info is from IMDB (but it was only updated mid-2004). The Stephen Fry bit was just something I read this week, Ceefax/Teletext etc say Fry has been confirmed as The Guide. I think he's a good choice.
Romero did you ever read the books or catch the radio series? Anyway this isnt just a "silly idea" they've had right now, its a film project thats been trying to get off the ground for over 20 years. I don't think it'll flop at all (people have been waiting for a film for so long for example), but its' important they get the feel of it right.

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by grim_tales]
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Seriously look at it from a normal non book loving and radio litning point iof view, its going to be I REPEAT ITS GOING TO FLOP!!!!!!!!

if you cannot see that then whip out your wallet and do a wager, as there's never been a more surefire flop ever! it may make a few pennies in Uk on the back of the TV show and radio and book, but the rest of the world doesnt give a shit and thats why its took soo long to get a film made! as no normal people want it, only fans and films dont survive on fans alone.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thats true, but maybe it could still be a cult film here/in the US then :D
BTW just it because it took so long to be made doesnt mean it wont make any money at all, I mean people have been trying to film LOTR (which many people have said is "unfilmable") since the 60's for example I think but gave up, (famously the Beatles were supposed to do one version, with John playing Gollum) :D Now thats one of the most successful trilogies ever :D
Back to Hitch-Hikers, :D I'm sure the marketing people will try to be sold to people who dont know the series as well. Have you seen the trailer?
The one I saw on IMDB looks a bit wierd (you cant really see whats going on) but it opens with Louis Armstrong singing "Wonderful World" (which also closed the 2nd radio series and TV series) then the Earth blows up, I couldnt read anything after that.
The picture of Marvin (on the poster) looks very odd :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I do think so far the advertising campaigna has been pretty poor, the trailer / teaster sucked, and the posters dont excite, so far its not looking good for it box office wise, it may well be a great film but I just cannot see it doing well.

Well will see in May when it goes up against Star Wars and other massive films! to release it then is silly for starters! in fact its crazy!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree with you there, SW is a huge, massive film of course but also has a similar theme - you ask average Joe which theyve heard of and the answer will be Star Wars. :D I think that will pull in the punters more.

Have you seen a different trailer to me? The one IMDB is cack IMO. :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The trailer I saw was a teaser and it was pants :) didnt excite me at all so ots a teaser which failed for me.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The one I saw must have been a teaser too and it wasnt very good I agree, I noticed that the teaser said copyright Buena Vista (Disney)!