I like the Miami Vice trailer

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

I like the Miami Vice trailer

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Not sure if it's the mixture of Collateral-style grainy imagery and Michael Mann's manliness... or maybe even that Linkin Park song... but I love that damn trailer. Hope the movie's gonna be decent.

Anyone watch the original Miami Vice? Was it any good?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The original TV series was pretty great, especially at that time. Might have lost a bit of it's original impact though... cause over the years there have been many TV shows about buddy cops and drugs kartels and all that... plus many since that have tried emulating the look of MV, and also using the pop-culture references and use of music etc etc...

But it's a great show. Not sure about the movie yet though. Also cant say I've been very excited about it yet...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

It looks awesome, and Gong Li's in it, which makes it more or less automatically worth watching.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Has Colin Farrell been in a good movie yet?

OK, Minority Report, but that was "a Tom Cruise/Steven Spielberg film".

This might even be the first film he stars in that makes any money. :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Markgway wrote:Has Colin Farrell been in a good movie yet?
Yes, Phone Booth. Not even a tardis like Joel Shumacher could screw up an air-tight Larry Cohen script.

I haven't seen it, but Tigerland is reportedly pretty good as well.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Phone Booth wasn't as good as it could have been.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I saw an ad for Miami Vice on TV last night and liked the look of it. Could be good.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I can't freaking wait for this film it's out soon. The trailer looks excellent.

Jaimee Foxx is an excellent actor, Michael Mann has yet to disappoint me and lets face it Michael Mann can make this sort of film his his sleep.
Markgway wrote:Has Colin Farrell been in a good movie yet?
Yes Alexander.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Not even a tardis like Joel Shumacher could screw up an air-tight Larry Cohen script.
Do you have to use Tardis and Schumacher in the same sentence? :wink:
brooce-leroy wrote:It looks awesome, and Gong Li's in it, which makes it more or less automatically worth watching.
How big is her part?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Could become a good movie, but could it really be as cool as this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tnyp9tR ... ami%20vice
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Hey, without Joel Schumaker there would be no Falling Down. Due respect.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

True, Falling Down is really, really good. How did Schumacher manage to pull that one off? ;)
Nah, in my opinion, he's a hit and miss director. Sometimes, when his heart's in it, he can do a decent film, but then there are the obvious payday movies, which you can begrude him for. It's a hell of a lot of money to turn down.
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

What's the name of the Miami Vice theme song?

Gong Li is one of the main characters (on the bad guy's side).

p.s. Alexander is shit.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

If you mean the song that plays in the trailer, it's Encore by Jay-Z/Linkin Park.
If you mean the old skool Miami Vice, then it's just called Miami Vice Theme by Jan Hammer. You might also mean Crockett's Theme by the same.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Cheers Bruce.
Yi-Long wrote:Could become a good movie, but could it really be as cool as this?
It will be hard but it's possible, it looks to have an 80's vibe. Is it set in the 1980's?

There's something about the 80's look which looks very cheesy yet very cool at the same time.
Markgway wrote:Hey, without Joel Schumaker there would be no Falling Down. Due respect.
One film alone doesn't mean he deserves respect IMO, normally it could but considering the utter tosh he has mostly given us.

Phone Booth was decent but the classic most seem to think it is I don't think so.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:Cheers Bruce.
Yi-Long wrote:Could become a good movie, but could it really be as cool as this?
It will be hard but it's possible, it looks to have an 80's vibe. Is it set in the 1980's?

There's something about the 80's look which looks very cheesy yet very cool at the same time.
Yeah it was filmed in the 80's and it was also set in the 80's
You're right about the 80's looking cheesy, with the girls in the ugly neon clothes, the big BIG hair, the chewing gum, and ofcourse the hideous make-up. And the guys were equally bad, with BADdddd haircuts (nice mullet!), no socks, and weird colored suits with opened up shirts.

yet... Miami Vice still manages to make it look extremely cool.

It's a very good show, even now I believe. It was back on tv a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it seeing it again. I'm thinking about picking up season 1 as it's only 30 bucks or something here.

It's easily on par with some of the better crime/cop movies we all know and love... They're like mini-movies I guess... although obviously the characters develop as the show goes on...

If you come across it when it's on sale (say 20 pounds or something) give it a try. I doubt you will be dissapointed.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

You're right about the 80's looking cheesy, with the girls in the ugly neon clothes, the big BIG hair, the chewing gum, and ofcourse the hideous make-up. And the guys were equally bad, with BADdddd haircuts (nice mullet!), no socks, and weird colored suits with opened up shirts.
I miss the 80's. :cry:

I wish I'd been born in 1969.
the68monkey
Royal Tramp

Post by the68monkey »

Hey, Miami Vice was THE show when I was in high school. Sometimes on Friday nights, we wouldn't even go out, but instead get together at one person's house to watch the show. 8)

We girls all thought Don Johnson was sooooo hot in his white suits with neon t-shirts underneath. :lol: Little did we know what a dumbass he was in real life. :P

Still, I have to admit, out of pure nostalgia for the guy, I ended up watching most of his series Nash Bridges on TV a few years ago. :oops:

I don't know. Maybe I'm just too old, but I can't see Colin Farrell as Sonny Crockett. . . EVER! Just like I could never accept the remake of Starsky and Hutch, even though I love Owen Wilson. :( Too many fond memories of childhood and high school.
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

Kurgan wrote:If you mean the song that plays in the trailer, it's Encore by Jay-Z/Linkin Park.
If you mean the old skool Miami Vice, then it's just called Miami Vice Theme by Jan Hammer. You might also mean Crockett's Theme by the same.
I meant for the new film, thanks Kurgs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

the68monkey wrote:Hey, Miami Vice was THE show when I was in high school. Sometimes on Friday nights, we wouldn't even go out, but instead get together at one person's house to watch the show. 8)
If you don't mind me asking how old are you Bobbi?
Yi-Long wrote:Yeah it was filmed in the 80's and it was also set in the 80's
Thanks but I was asking if the new film was set in the 80s?
the68monkey wrote:Still, I have to admit, out of pure nostalgia for the guy, I ended up watching most of his series Nash Bridges on TV a few years ago. :oops:
I liked that show too.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brad - to work out her age 1968 was the year of the monkey. You do the maths ;)
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

the68monkey wrote:Still, I have to admit, out of pure nostalgia for the guy, I ended up watching most of his series Nash Bridges on TV a few years ago. :oops:
I never really watched the show, although I'm sure I saw some of it because of Cheech Marin. He's great :)
the68monkey
Royal Tramp

Post by the68monkey »

bradavon wrote:If you don't mind me asking how old are you Bobbi?
2006 - 1968 = my age :|
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

You're 412?

Ach, well Maths never was my strong point. :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The film looks bland so far, the trailers look shit. Still they are trailers, its Farrels hair that looks the worst! like a big fat wet rat on his head! Hope he is better in the film than the way he looks so far.

The films cost $200 million!!!!!!!!!!!! (according to new reports from Mann!) thats the biggest joke, how the hell it cost that much is beyond me and why the hell they let them spend that much is also beyond me. If they expect it to be a massive film like the other blockbusters of the summer they are in for a shock.

The digital look in the trailer really looks poor, the film looks like it was shot on someones camcorder in their back garden. Digital just makes it look home made so far, Collateral was an experiment, but maybe this is too far maybe. When your spending $200 million at least make it look like it cost that much. I say bring back film until digital is not so awful looking.

But I will see the film at the cinema and hope its good, as I am sure it will be, but so far nothing has made me go wow, not a single thing. Opening wekend I will be in the audience waiting to see for myself :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

the68monkey wrote:2006 - 1968 = my age :|
Thanks. I thought I was one of the oldest here :D . Nothing wrong with being 38 but then I'm male so what do I know.
romerojpg wrote:The film looks bland so far, the trailers look shit. Still they are trailers, its Farrels hair that looks the worst! like a big fat wet rat on his head! Hope he is better in the film than the way he looks so far.
It's how hair was styled back then silly.