Love for 35mm (or 16mm / 8mm) prints

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Love for 35mm (or 16mm / 8mm) prints

Unread postby HungFist » 22 Mar 2014, 04:54

You notice a bunch of great 70's genre films, most of which you have already seen, are playing in a theatre on 35mm within a few hours flight distance. You immediately try to clear your schedule and gather the money for cheap flights. And you’re pretty fucking stoked about it!

Anyone recognize the feeling?

Then you notice that one of the five films you wanted to see will actually screen from a new digital print instead 35mm. You think aloud "fuck those motherfucking assholes, I'll never come to your piece of shit theatre".

Anyone recognize the feeling?

Yours truly
Hung Fist

The films screening in Tokyo next weekend:

Aesthetics of a Bullet (1973) (35mm) (not seen)
Female Delinquent: A Docu-Drama (1977) (35mm) (seen before)
Path of the Beast (1980) (35mm) (seen before)
Oh Women! A Dirty Song (1981) (35mm) (seen before)

Flights reserved!!!

Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Love for 35mm (or 16mm / 8mm) prints

Unread postby Shingster » 25 Mar 2014, 03:30

When did you become a hardcore videophile Hung? Have you seen Taifu Club theatrically already? If not I'd be there in a heartbeat! If the scan was 4k or higher and not been remastered by idiots then I'd expect the digital quality to be something of a revelation if you've only caught the old r2j DVD in the past! Last year I caught a 4k screening of Battleship Potemkin with Michael Nyman conducting and it looked pretty glorious!

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread postby HungFist » 25 Mar 2014, 04:08

The funny thing is, I'm not a hardcore videophile, at least not with home video. During the past 5 or 6 years I've just been seeing so many 35mm prints on festivals and in theaters that I've came to realize they have their own aura. They look better (different), and they especially feel better. Something the digital projections don't quite achieve. Sure, I've still gone see some Hollywood classics in digital projections in the local cinema (The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Great Escape etc.), but they feel more like Blu-Ray +.

35mm prints on the other hand give you the feeling that you are seeing films in their original format. It's also something you gotta work for, rather than download off the net or see on youtube like the kid next door...(maybe this is elitism, but then be it). I was blown away by Argento's Deep Red on 35mm, and even Castellari's 1990: The Bronx Warriors felt much better on a slightly scratched film print than on DVD. Same with Tetsuo, which totally rocked...

I'd pay a small fortune to see Blade Runner on 35mm.

And no, I haven't seen Taifu Club in theater. Sure, if they had DCP here in Sapporo I'd still go see it, but in this case it would be a trade off: I'd miss Aesthetics of a Bullet (which is not available on home video in any format) and it would warrant an extra trip to Chiba... I'm still hoping to get another chance to catch it on 35mm some other time because it screens in Tokyo area rather often.

Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread postby Shingster » 25 Mar 2014, 04:28

I would expect those hollywood classics you caught in digital were probably liberally "remastered" for digital presentation (I know Raiders of the Lost Ark certainly was!), personally I'd trust the Japanese studios to take a more authentic approach - for instance I'd love to see those 6k Ghibli scans up in a digital presentation, judging from the Japanese blus they should look sensational (whether you subscribe to the theory that their colours are too warm or not). The only thing I'd be worried about with a Japanese print is that if they've made it with a future Blu-ray release in mind then it might have been digitally scrubbed and regrained (like some of those classic Shunji Iwai titles look like to me) and there's also the possibility of the colour temp being off to cater for Japanese TVs (which I think are mostly set to 9300K as standard these days). A film like Taifu Club I'd hope would get the reverential treatment in Japan though!

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread postby HungFist » 27 Mar 2014, 05:41

No Taifu Club this time, but I think I can manage to squeeze in Kazuo Kuroki's Preparation for the Festival (1975), also in the ATG series. Schedule looking like this now.

17:30 Aesthetics of a Bullet (1973) (35mm) (Laputa Asagaya / ATG series)
19:40 Preparation for the Festival (1975) (Laputa Asagaya / ATG series)
10:10 Female Delinquent: A Docu-Drama (1977) (35mm) (Shimbashi Bunka / Roman Theater)
11:30 Oh Women! A Dirty Song (1981) (35mm) (Shimbashi Bunka / Roman Theater)
13:00 Path of the Beast (1980) (35mm) (Shimbashi Bunka / Roman Theater)

Compact one night trip, cheap flights and a night in capsule hotel. Godzilla films are screening in another theater at the same time (all 35mm) but don't have enough time, plus the series already reached mid 80s, so not such a big loss (would have loved to catch a few of the earlier ones on film).

Really looking forward to seeing Oh Women! A Dirty Song and Female Delinquent: A Docu-Drama again. Oh Women is the jaw dropping true accounting of asshole rock star Yuya Uchida, of course played by Uchida himself, and directed by Tatsumi Kumashiro. Tons of sleaze, great rock music, and terrific performances. Female Delinquent is an even bigger lost gem: an ultra grim true story of a delinquent girl, directed by Toshiya Fujita (Lady Snowblood) and packed with wonderful cinematography, great performances and absolutely fabulous rock soundtrack.

Female Delinquent:

Oh Women!

oh, and there's a better looking print of Taifu Club in VoD circulation. Saw a preview on Toei's YouTube channel (I'm not sure if this will view outside Japan... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G5pg9x-o6U )

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Unread postby HungFist » 03 May 2015, 14:55

I knew I did the right choise last year not wasting my time and money on digital Taifu Club! There's gonna be a 35mm screening in Institut Francais (uhm, yeah) in Tokyo next month.
- http://www.institutfrancais.jp/tokyo/ev ... 506251900/

Laputa Asagaya is having Ryo Ikebe series at the same time, the 1969 Toei ninkyo film Toseinin retsuden is screening around that time. And Cinema Vera, Shinbungeiza, Jinbocho and Meguro Cinema haven't announced their program yet so with a bit of luck should be a worthy trip.

Speaking of Somai, cinema Vera is having a retro for Kei Ijichi who produced lots of his films. They are screening about half of Somai's films: Tonda Couple, PP Rider, Sailor Suit and Machine Gun, Luminous Woman, Lost Chapter of Snow: Passion, Ohikkoshi and The Friends. I'm considering making a quick trip and catch the first 5 if I can. The irritating thing is that PP Rider is a digital print, while the same film is playing on 35mm in Institut Francais one day later! :banghead: Unfortunately I can't make it there... I'd miss either Lost Chapter of Snow: Passion or Caste of Owls (1963) which playing at National Film Center as part of Toei Jidai Geki series.

Return to “General Film/DVD Discussion”