The Devils (1971) upcoming DVD release

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

The Devils (1971) upcoming DVD release

Post by gasteropod »

Next March courtesy of BFI: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtop ... 29&t=11778

Such a shame that it's the theatrical cut and DVD-only :(. I'd imagine that's Warner Bros. fault.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Devils (1971) upcoming DVD release

Post by gasteropod »

the edition of Hell on Earth is a modified version from the one broadcast by Channel 4 back in 2002. Because the "rape of Christ" footage couldn't be licensed under any circumstances, that section of the documentary has been removed
Fuck you, Warner Bros. :rage:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Mark Kermode is gonna shit a brick.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

He certainly will be :D. Thanks a lot Gas. It's a real shame it's not blu-ray too but I imagine I'll still get this. It is a fantastic film.

Why would Warner be so against a blu-ray release? If they are allowing a DVD, why not blu-ray too? Why would Warner also still be so against it after all these years? Big studios tend to be money making machines.

It's been so long since I've seen it, isn't the "Rape of Christ" footage in the British Theatrical Cut? I've only seen it on Channel 4, so likely that version. I really hope I don't end up buying a shorter cut to the one I've already seen twice. It was shown in the recent "Dear Censor" BBC4 documentary.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:It's been so long since I've seen it, isn't the "Rape of Christ" footage in the British Theatrical Cut?
No it's not, it's in the .avi version I have though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I didn't know it was Kermode who found the extra/missing/rape of christ footage.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I didn't know it was Kermode who found the extra/missing/rape of christ footage.
Yeah, poor bugger was so excited only for Warners to shelve the restored product.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

They even recorded a commentary.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:They even recorded a commentary.
Which is why I will buy this version despite its deficiencies, I love Ken Russell commentaries.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I still don't get why Warner would be against a blu-ray release? My guess, it's Warner who don't want to release the Director's Cut and BFI who don't see a market value in releasing a blu-ray too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I reckon Warner Bros. won't let BFI release it on Blu-ray, perhaps they're planning their own release.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Perhaps but it seems they wish the film didn't exist, at least in The States.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

As I thought, it's Warner Bros. being awkward fuckers:
The basic situation as I understand it is that after literally years of arm-twisting on the BFI's part, Warner Bros finally said "Oh go on then" - but they weren't prepared to license the 2004 version, or indeed the use of the "rape of Christ" scene anywhere else on the DVD (which is why it's had to be removed from the Hell on Earth documentary too, though in compensation additional material has been added). And they were only prepared to supply an SD Digibeta master of the 1971 cinema cut, which ruled out a Blu-ray too - and in any case I don't think they were prepared to sign over the Blu-ray rights.

Even if they had said yes to the 2004 version and an HD release, a Blu-ray might have been problematic since that version has only ever existed on SD Digibeta - the source for all the cinema screenings that it's had. When I saw it at the NFT's biggest screen, it looked pretty great (surprisingly so, given the SD source), but there were telltale video jaggies around sharp edges - of which there were quite a few, thanks to Derek Jarman's angular designs.

It's probably worth emphasising, given the way the word "incomplete" and even "butchered" have been doing the rounds of other forums in reaction to the BFI announcement, that the 1971 British cinema cut was in fact the definitive version between 1971 and 2004 - it's vastly superior to the Warner-mangled and Russell-disowned US version, for instance, even though PAL speedup distorts the differences.

In fact, the full version of the film as Russell originally envisaged it is almost certainly impossible to recreate now, since the final stages of editing were carried out in consultation with both the BBFC (surprisingly sympathetic, but realistic about what was showable at the time) and Warner Bros (hugely unsympathetic, especially in the US). Although everyone was astonished when the "rape of Christ" scene plus two other offcuts turned up out of the blue a decade or so ago, it seems that the other deleted material really has been destroyed - or at least that's the most realistic assumption.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

This sounds like a lot like Miraxmax owning all those HK films and then doing nothing with them.

Thanks btw. That BBC4 censorship documentary detailed Russell going back and forth with the BBFC. The cut submitted to the BBFC got to see was already BBFC approved.

It is a shame but at least I've only seen the British cut, so have nothing to compare it against. The rape of christ scene did look interest in the documentary though and a worthy addition to the film. It's not as if the rest if it is even slightly tame. I remember seeing it when I was quite young and thinking "what's this?" Obviously the nudity got my attention first. I saw it properly years later and liked it even more.

It's rare I see a so called "video nasty" and actually think it's great. Natural Born Killer is another example. Most range from good to rubbish.

Yep I think I'll have to get the DVD too. My first DVD in ages.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That Criterion forum link mentions MichaelB mention two cuts Russell signed off, what's the other one?

* The Devils US Cut in it's entirety (I didn't think YouTube allowed video more than 20mins long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIV_tamelMQ
* Hell on Earth - The Desecration & Resurrection of "The Devils" Part 5 of 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7uJrAm0NE

This is the part with "The Rape of Christ" footage. Which will be missing from the upcoming DVD. I've downloaded it, just in case YouTube take it down.

* Hell on Earth - The Desecration & Resurrection of "The Devils" Part 6 of 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSf430ltqeE

This one includes the bone masturbation sequence.
Last edited by bradavon on 18 Nov 2011, 17:56, edited 3 times in total.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:The Devils US Cut in it's entirety (I didn't think YouTube allowed video more than 20mins long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIV_tamelMQ
That's the cut that should be avoided and Ken Russell disowned, why link us such an abomination?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:That's the cut that should be avoided and Ken Russell disowned, why link us such an abomination?
In case anyone should wish to compare the two cuts, I suppose.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:That's the cut that should be avoided and Ken Russell disowned, why link us such an abomination?
I know, because it's what came up. I couldn't see the British cut.

Abomination is nonsense, it's still perfectly watchable and given that it's so low quality, who'd watch it anyway? It's there to skim through, compare with the proper cut, check out scenes. Surely no one would choose to watch "the film" on this YouTube video? Check out the quality.

p.s - I was led to believe the nun masturbates with the bone. If the missing footage is shown in it's entirety in that documentary, she's not masturbating.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is that official?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yup.
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Post by hanshotfirst1138 »

Markgway wrote:Mark Kermode is gonna shit a brick.
He actually posted a blog about the issue. Sadly, I think we'll have to live with it because I don't see a second release of Russel's cut ever happening.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Only after we all asked so many questions about it :D.