A Nightmare on Elm Street, Part 3: Stereo or Mono?

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

A Nightmare on Elm Street, Part 3: Stereo or Mono?

Post by Markgway »

I know that the first two films were mono, but I noticed a curious thing about Part 3 (Dream Warriors).

The IMDB lists the original mix as 'mono' and the back of the New Line DVD also claims mono (a 5.1 remix is also present). So far so simple, but--

http://nightmareonelmstreetfilms.com/Fi ... cCover.jpg
http://nightmareonelmstreetfilms.com/Fi ... 3box18.gif

Clearly marked as Stereo.

I checked my DVD (EIV, R2) and the 2.0 track sounds like stereo to me.

Anyone have the R1 and can confirm it's mono?
Marshall
Jade Tiger

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Part 3: Stereo or Mono?

Post by Marshall »

I would have guessed it was in "Ultra Stereo" like F13 6 and so many late 80s horrors. The end credits should tell the tale.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I forgot to check the end credits. D'oh!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

OK. Checked the end credits and there was no mention of any sound format. I wonder if New Line produced two versions? Mono and stereo?

The available tracks on my EIV are 5.1 and 2.0 (stereo surround). The 2.0 is not a downmix of the 5.1 and it's easy to tell because the opening credits feature different songs (when Patricia Arquette turns on the radio).

The 5.1 remix contains the original song 'Into the Fire' by Dokken whereas the 2.0 track contains an instrumental alternate taken from another New Line film. Apparently this was done for home video back in the 80s due to rights issues. I never noticed until now because the version I was familiar with (from VHS) had the alternate.

So does anyone have the R1 disc and tell me what the audio options/songs are?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

From IMDB: "The VHS cassette released by Media Home Entertainment in the 1980s features a different song in the beginning instead of Dokken's "Into the Fire." The 'unknown' song heard is "Quiet Cool" by Joe Lamont and substituted in place of the Dokken song. The US DVD re-instates the original song back into the film."

The Elite LD contained a 2.0 track also.