Your 5 most wanted dvd/HD releases for 2008?

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Your 5 most wanted dvd/HD releases for 2008?

Post by saltysam »

What have you be waiting impatiently for :) what do you hope to see in 2008? my 5 off the top of my head,in no particular order 8)

1: Jaws on HD-DVD-one of the greatest films ever made.
2: Hard Target Director's Cut on dvd or HD- John Woo's best american film and Van Damme's best movie full stop deserves a decent release with only the crappy uk non-anamorphic effort currently available.
3: The Big Boss uncut on dvd /HD. Can't see this ever getting found and released but we can live in hope.
4: Rebellious Reign dvd/HD widescreen,anamorphic and uncut. fantastic martial arts movie deserves better treatment than the vengeance video effort knocking around.
5: Enter The Dragon HD re-release with seamless branching giving the option of the original theatrical version.also with the many rumoured deleted scenes as an extra and the full Ahna Capri footage.

One of my most wanted is already coming in January, Cornel Wilde's the Naked Prey,the film Apocalypto definitely took it's inspiration from. Only ever saw it in p&s, cannot wait for the Criterion release :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I second you on "Hard Target" (thought I don't want the "DC" since it's only a workprint and the European version is far superior on the whole); "Jaws" (with original MONO track); "Enter the Dragon" (THEATRICAL Cut with MONO).

Some additional choices of mine...

1. PSYCHO (and PSYCHO II)
2. FALLING DOWN
3. JAMES BOND SERIES
4. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
5. THE LAST BOY SCOUT

Ooh... and the THEATRICAL cut of THE FRIGHTENERS please!! (I'm looking at you Germany...)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

1. Terrifying Girls' High School series
2. Soul of Chiba (Gekisatsu! Judo ken)
3. 13 Steps (Wakai kizoku-tachi: 13-kaidan no Maki)
4. Boso panikku: Daigekitotsu
5. Lost Chapter of Snow: Passion (Yuki no dansho - jonetsu)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I've never seen the DC of Hard Target,i heard it was better.maybe another seamless branching release then :lol: Last Boy Scout,love a nice HD release of that.
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

DC of Hard Target can never be done with seamless branching, its not even similar to the origanal film :) way top hard for seamless branching :)

Whats wrong with Enter the Dragon thats out on HD now? apart from no crap mono.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:

it's not the original theatrical version. the scene with the monk at the beginning was deleted from the western release.now it's there with john little impersonating Bruce :? there is also a small extra bit in the hall of mirrors sequence and some missing music cues. are you going to list your 5 Romero :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Mark: Are you mostly talking about HD releases? Most of these already have decent DVD discs.

On HD Discs (in no order):

* The Original Star Wars Trilogy (2004 cuts if they have to be)
* Lord of the Rings Trilogy
* Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
* Terminator and House of Flying Daggers re-released
* Scarface
* An honorary sixth (or is it seventh) mention: In the Mood for Love

On DVD:

* At last a decent uncut DVD of Ashes of Time. I'm not expecting HD!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hi again Mark :D
Nice to see you ;)
Wasnt there a rumor about Joy Sales getting an uncut print of BOSS?
As I understood it, there is actually audio of Bruce's dub for the monk scene in ETD and Linda Lee's intro suggests he wanted that bit there :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote:
romerojpg wrote:

it's not the original theatrical version. the scene with the monk at the beginning was deleted from the western release.now it's there with john little impersonating Bruce :? there is also a small extra bit in the hall of mirrors sequence and some missing music cues. are you going to list your 5 Romero :)
Mmm did not really know about the extra footage, still does it change the film that much? Does not sound like it radically messes up the film, but guess its what you get used to. Just ordered Enter the Dragon HD DVD the other day £7 bargain, hopefully the altered stuff wont bug me at all.

My list, no idea at all. Cannot really say as many will be coming out, just only on Blu Ray so I wont bother with them for now as still aint got Blu Ray :(

But I do want many

Terminator 2 German HD DVD will be probibly top of the list, cannot wait!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It never bothered me.

I second T2 German HD-DVD. I didn't mention that as that's already confirmed. It should be out next month, with any luck.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:It never bothered me.
I would say it all depends on how well you know the film and if you have seen the origanal version many times, changes and things your very used to can bug the hell out of you. I have seen the film many times, but not on dvd really.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

-Fist of Legend
-Ashes of Time
-Happy Together
-Days of Being Wild
-Drunken Master 2

(and there's a whole lot more on that wishing list...)
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

yeah Fist Of Legend is high on my wishlist.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Something against non-Chinese films Yi? ;)

Happy Together and DOBW already have solid DVD releases.
romerojpg wrote:I would say it all depends on how well you know the film and if you have seen the origanal version many times
Agreed. I got into the film much later than most.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

romerojpg wrote:DC of Hard Target can never be done with seamless branching, its not even similar to the origanal film :) way top hard for seamless branching :)
True enough. IMHO most of the extra footage should stay on the cutting room floor. It seems most fans want it simply because it's not there. Honestly the Euro cut (aside from a few violence snips) is pretty much perfect as it is.
Mono is not crap. It served movies for 50+ years including many of the greatest classics of all time. You should not go back and revise the audio. To me that's no different than going back and colourising B&W films. I do not want artificial surrounds, new foley or tampered with music cues, thanks. Warners need to get this sorted.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Wasnt there a rumor about Joy Sales getting an uncut print of BOSS?
Lots of rumours about this version... little concrete evidence.
As I understood it, there is actually audio of Bruce's dub for the monk scene in ETD and Linda Lee's intro suggests he wanted that bit there :)
Yes, Bruce did dub the audio, as the scene was in the cut until a late stage. But it was removed before release as - let's be honest - it doesn't fit in with the movie. ETD is an escapist adventure, it's not The Tao of Jeet Kune Do!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

romerojpg wrote:I would say it all depends on how well you know the film and if you have seen the origanal version many times, changes and things your very used to can bug the hell out of you. I have seen the film many times, but not on dvd really.
It does make a difference as you say. Of course I would always want the original soundtrack. But that aside, I saw ETD about a dozen times (at least - it was one of my faves) before Warners vaulted the original cut and substituted it with the inferior "DC". The film I knew and loved was taken away from me. I would've kept the old letterboxed VHS if those cunts at the BBFC hadn't censored it.

P.S. What's the German T2 about?

The US has the TC only (and is average quality) and the UK has the SE only (better quality) and the FR has both (but the TC has forced subs - the muppets!)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I actually really liked the Monk scene in ETD. :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'm talking about it in context.

I did find it a bit dull as martial arts philosphy doesn't interest me.

But did you think the scene BELONGED in this movie?

Bruce's incompleted Game of Death maybe?

But ETD? Nope.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Markgway wrote:
P.S. What's the German T2 about?

The US has the TC only (and is average quality) and the UK has the SE only (better quality) and the FR has both (but the TC has forced subs - the muppets!)
Its a new HD version of the film, which for once actually looks like it is pushing HD to what its capable of. Think back to when the first Terminator 2 Ultimate edition came out on standard dvd, it blew everyone away :) for extras, picture etc.. this new German HD DVD looks to be doing much the same and showing us what HD is capable of. Hopefully it should be the best example of HD yet from what I have seen. Hard to describe many of the things without seeing them. But so far it looks to be something that could well make other HD discs out there cry :D

Mono, honestly I do not mind a properly remixed 5.1 soundtrack, thats the thing mind you many do not do it properly I guess. Some change things as you say, some do not.

I just do not see a market for mono on many dvds/ or even HD. Its something that is going to get rarer and rarer on dvds in the future. Apart from companies which try to care for their loyal fans.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:P.S. What's the German T2 about?

Correct. All the info is here:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... c&start=46

You want to read the first post and the last post from me. Also make sure you check out the Youtube video, it's a camcorder job of a pre-release screening at some trade fair earlier this year.

Here is the last post:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... c&start=51

It looks awesome!
Last edited by bradavon on 18 Dec 2007, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

romerojpg wrote:Its a new HD version of the film, which for once actually looks like it is pushing HD to what its capable of.
But will it have both cuts? I prefer the TC overall. But I wouldn't swap my UE DVD for an HD with one version (esp, if said version is the SE).
Mono, honestly I do not mind a properly remixed 5.1 soundtrack, thats the thing mind you many do not do it properly I guess. Some change things as you say, some do not.
It's just not right... but I guess we're not gonna change each other's minds on this one.
I just do not see a market for mono on many dvds/ or even HD. Its something that is going to get rarer and rarer on dvds in the future. Apart from companies which try to care for their loyal fans.
Shouldn't companies care to their loyal fans? Why not just include the mono track regardless? If they wanna arse about with 5.1 that's fine. But alson include the original audio for purists. It takes up little space and so the only reason for NOT doing it is out of spite or prejudice.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:But will it have both cuts? I prefer the TC overall.
Did you read the link I took the time to post about?

It's the dedicated link for the German T2 HD-DVD and gives you all the answers you want to know about.
It's just not right... but I guess we're not gonna change each other's minds on this one.
I don't believe Romero was disagreeing. He said there is less of a market for Mono. Besides even you have said you don't mind a restrained Hollywood 5.1 remix from Stereo/Pro-logic source.

Personally I wish all Mono/Stereo/Pro-logic films gave us both.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I always want their to AT LEAST be a mono-track, simply because sometimes you dont have a very good soundsystem and have to hear all the sound through your TV, which in some cases, sucks.

Personally I have a sucky tv (soundwise), AND I have NO soundsystem at all, so for me, mono is very often the preferred option.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

On TV speakers I can't use tell the difference between DD5.1 or Mono to any great respect. The TVs speakers are so limited it doesn't make much difference.