Terminator Blu-ray

Discuss High Definition Technology & Releases
User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby bradavon » 21 Feb 2012, 00:38

Markgway wrote:The Terminator remix contains new foley so your point here is moot.

I believe that's his point. A new remix could be created.

Markgway wrote:It was low budget. Many modest productions were released in mono until the end of the 80s. Stereo was still a bit of a studio luxury.

Thanks.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 21 Feb 2012, 05:23

gasteropod wrote:The problem is that the original mono on many HK discs is horrible quality and can go out of sync etc. so their remastered 5.1 tracks are actually preferable.


You're right on both counts... but 5.1 preferable? Not to me. The sync outage would have to be VERY noticeable for me to switch to 5.1.

bradavon wrote:I believe that's his point. A new remix could be created.


What would be the point? A new 5.1 mix without new foley would likely garner as many complaints from people such as yourself who LIKE the additions as mono purists.
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image

User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby luckystars » 21 Feb 2012, 19:07

Markgway wrote:A new 5.1 mix without new foley would likely garner as many complaints from people such as yourself who LIKE the additions as mono purists.


Thats a nonsense Mark.

No one ever complains about remixes because they have no new foley....ever.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 21 Feb 2012, 20:33

luckystars wrote:Thats a nonsense Mark.

No one ever complains about remixes because they have no new foley....ever.


Six posts up...

bradavon wrote:I don't care this time the foley is added because it enhances the movie.


Some people do like the new effects. Amazing but true. Of course they're wrong.

Devil's advocate: If you don't add foley what's the point of a remix?
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby bradavon » 21 Feb 2012, 21:11

luckystars wrote:No one ever complains about remixes because they have no new foley....ever.

Many do.

Markgway wrote:Six posts up...

Where? What I say, doesn't corroborate your point.

Markgway wrote:Some people do like the new effects.

I do but then I cannot spot them and before anyone says anything, I'd wager neither can 90% of other people. This isn't some talky (where it really would be out of place), it's a kick ass action film and the surround sound adds to this.

Markgway wrote:Devil's advocate: If you don't add foley what's the point of a remix?

Plenty of remixes don't add foley. Besides I'd imagine Terminator has plenty in it's soundtrack to create a 5.1 remix without it, probably not to the extended they wanted though.

User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby luckystars » 21 Feb 2012, 23:02

Markgway wrote:Devil's advocate: If you don't add foley what's the point of a remix?


Another daft argument.

Thats like saying why progress from mono to stereo.

Nearly every film you see in the cinema is in surround. A remix from mono, or stereo to more channels is purely to add depth to the soundstage. Adding new sound/foley is secondary to that.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 22 Feb 2012, 01:44

Just leave the fucking films alone. If you want 9.1 DTS-up-your-arse surround go watch Transformers IV or some shit. The Terminator was a low budget movie filmed in 1984 designed by the original sound engineers to play in mono. End of fucking conversation.
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image

User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby luckystars » 22 Feb 2012, 10:15

Yes but I have a good surround system and big screen tv, this is 2012.

If theres a choice between a Blu ray with incredible picture, and true hd sound sensibly remixed...

As opposed to a DVD with mono....I'll take the Blu every time.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image

User avatar
Xenon
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 246
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 16:28

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Xenon » 22 Sep 2012, 11:32


drees5761
Jackie Chan's little toe
Posts: 20
Joined: 23 Sep 2011, 10:19

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby drees5761 » 22 Sep 2012, 11:42

gasteropod wrote:The problem is that the original mono on many HK discs is horrible quality and can go out of sync etc. so their remastered 5.1 tracks are actually preferable.


Thats nonsense. Mono can sound very clear and punchy, the out of synch issues is with the manufacturer not checking the disc properly.
I can tolerate a 5.1 remix IF there are no added effects and yes if its a film you have seen many times, the Bruce Lee films for example, they stand out like a sore thumb and completely ruin the film for me.
You can do a good remix in 5.1, The recent Blu ray of Psycho is a good example (no added fx, just enhancement of the ORIGINAL soundtrack) but it does have the original mono also so everyone is happy. There is room on a BD so why don't they just include it anyway?

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21585
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby grim_tales » 22 Sep 2012, 12:56

Xenon wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M0xKbwql__A


Lets hope the mono track is there. One on my To Buy list.

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21585
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby grim_tales » 22 Sep 2012, 13:06

From a post over at Home Theater Forums:

Hi everyone.

Wreck, over at HidefNinja who worked on the artwork for this release and confirmed that it's using a new master (it's the supposed 4K Lowry one. Of course we'll know for sure once it hits in under 2 weeks).

Anyhow, he's posted the specs of the UK disc and it's as follows:

SOUND - English 5.1 DTS HD-MA, Spanish 5.1 DD, French 5.1 DTS, Japanese 5.1 DTS, Portugese 2.0 DD stereo, Thai 2.0 DD Stereo

So no mono unfortunately.

It's unknown whether the 5.1 DTS-HD track is the same as the 2001 mix, (it most likely is, but we'll find out soon) or whether it's a new mix (wishful thinking


:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
No mono + probably player generated titles... :roll: :mad:
When does the US get the new remaster? :icon_suspect: :?

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 22 Sep 2012, 13:22

"SOUND - English 5.1 DTS HD-MA, Spanish 5.1 DD, French 5.1 DTS, Japanese 5.1 DTS, Portugese 2.0 DD stereo, Thai 2.0 DD Stereo"

=

Image
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby gasteropod » 22 Sep 2012, 16:56

drees5761 wrote:Thats nonsense. Mono can sound very clear and punchy, the out of synch issues is with the manufacturer not checking the disc properly.


What's nonsense? I said that when they sound like shit and have sync issues, the 5.1 tracks are preferable. I know mono can sound good, I own enough Criterion and Masters of Cinema Blu-rays.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 22 Sep 2012, 22:33

gasteropod wrote:I own enough Criterion and Masters of Cinema Blu-rays.


Is that the sound of Gas whipping his dick out?
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby gasteropod » 23 Sep 2012, 05:07

Deafening ;)


gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby gasteropod » 28 Sep 2012, 13:36



Nice, I haven't seen the film in so long I can hardly remember it, looking forward to this Blu-ray.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 28 Sep 2012, 14:54

Looks good. Let us know if it has the original mono track.
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image

User avatar
Xenon
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 246
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 16:28

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Xenon » 28 Sep 2012, 18:04

Markgway wrote:Looks good. Let us know if it has the original mono track.


The same person who posted the screenshots on blu-ray.com said that unfortunately there is no mono and the 5.1 soundtrack which is included is the "remixed" one =[

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 28 Sep 2012, 21:26

Sorry. My mistake. For some reason I got it into my head you were talking about a mythical new US edition. Yes, Grim mentioned that the UK disc only has a remix. I hope if and when the US remaster does come out it has mono.
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image


User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21585
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby grim_tales » 02 Oct 2012, 23:39

So is that that saying the new BD colours (2nd grabs) are wrong?

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby gasteropod » 02 Oct 2012, 23:54

I don't understand that comparison.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19495
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Terminator Blu-ray

Unread postby Markgway » 03 Oct 2012, 01:42

gasteropod wrote:I don't understand that comparison.


Good. I thought it was just me. :D
Bradavon: As probably the only guy on this forum who has snogged another man (3 times in fact), it didn't do a lot for me but I didn't hate it either. Who doesn't like a snog?

Image


Return to “High Definition Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests