Multi-region Blu-ray player

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Multi-region Blu-ray player

Post by gasteropod »

Just been reading about a cheap Toshiba one (going for £50 at Curry's at the moment) which can be made region-free DVD and multi-region BD by downloading and installing the Australian firmware, everyone's raving about it and having no problems so think I'm going to go for this due to my Limit player's imposed edge enhancement.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-bd ... 5-pdt.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray- ... on-bd.html
Keung
King of Beggars

Re: Multi-region Blu-ray player

Post by Keung »

Woah, nice! I think I'll pick one of these up. Thanks.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Unfortunately it seems to be out of stock everywhere that it's £50 :angry: let me know if you find one at that price please!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That is good news. BD Multi-region is a must. Pity it's out of stock everywhere. It's a great deal.
gasteropod wrote:Unfortunately it seems to be out of stock everywhere that it's £50 :angry: let me know if you find one at that price please!
I've seen mentioned of £75 in some places, any luck there?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah I know but I want it for £50 God damn it! :(
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

it's £50 at richer sounds in-store,whether they have any stock is another matter.
working class blu-ray fan
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

I've been waiting for a 'plays all' player like this to come out.

It even plays VCD!!!

Someone buy it!! :clap:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

it can be found online for £75,still a bargain in my book.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:it can be found online for £75,still a bargain in my book.
Agreed. It's clearly very popular, you seriously risk completely missing out. For £25 extra, I'd snap it up. How many other multi-region BD Players can you think of for anywhere near that?

I take it it's only the BDX1200 that can be made BD MR? Not the 1250 etc...
luckystars wrote:It even plays VCD!
Don't they all? Actually I've never tried my LG BH200. I cannot remember the last time I played VCDs/SVCDs or if I've even got any any more.

It needs to playback SVCD, HD-DVD, DVD-Audio, SuperAudio CD to truly be a "plays all" player ;).
saltysam wrote:it's £50 at richer sounds in-store,whether they have any stock is another matter.
Put your postcode in and give all stores near you a ring. Then if they've got one, pay over the phone for it and then pick it up (just in case): http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu ... sh-bdx1200

It's only a tenner for a 5 year warranty at Richer Sounds too.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

My Sony player doesn't play shit!

Anyone own a Toshiba player here? My old tosh DVD player looks muddy as shit compared to DVDs on my Sony.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

luckystars wrote:Anyone own a Toshiba player here? My old tosh DVD player looks muddy as shit compared to DVDs on my Sony.
No but the TR review of the Blu-ray player in question describes the PQ as 'impressive': http://www.trustedreviews.com/toshiba-b ... yer_review
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Right, it's no longer being listed on Curry's, but look at this on Argos! You get 12 months Lovefilm for free! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Right, I've reserved one at my local Argos, there was only one left, picking it up tomorrow :)
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

gasteropod wrote:Right, it's no longer being listed on Curry's, but look at this on Argos! You get 12 months Lovefilm for free! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... nformation
Good offer! I wonder if that's integrated into the player?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Cool. We've reserved the last one at our local Argos too. :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Wahey! :D We'll get a £5 voucher too.

I hope I can use my PSP to transfer the firmware to it otherwise I'll have to buy a memory stick, I've never owned one.
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

I was in Argos today! Just reserved one and will pick it up tomorrow. Cheers, Gas! Nice find.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

No worries, I'm just setting mine up - BEWARE though: Argos may try to give you a slightly different model (1250) so make sure you don't accept it if they do, thankfully the other Argos in Grimsby actually had the 1200 so I just walked over to that one to swap it after getting them to phone and check. I foresaw this happening because it happened to someone on that AVS thread so I immediately checked the box in Argos.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

As with the PS3, with this player you can change whether it outputs Full or Limited colour space so that will come in handy for Japanese prints that are too bright.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Success! My player is now region 0 DVD and region A Blu-ray :D . It was so satisfying changing the regions of the formats in the factory menu haha! Unlike the Limit player where you had to press codes blind, you have an actual menu on this one :thumbs: Finally I can watch my Criterions without fucking edge enhancement!

This player is great, you won't be disappointed! The PQ is so much better than the PS3 that I feel guilty for blaming my TV all this time, I wasn't expecting this...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt know you could change the colour outputs Gas - not sure whether my player does that or not :?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I wonder if there's a limit to the number of times you can change the region code on this player? If there isn't, I'd like to use it for everything, I'm certainly not taking the risk though unless it gets confirmed by someone online that it's safe to do so.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Got our player today.
Set it up in about five mins.
Easy as pie.
Firmware updated.
Multi region is a go. :thumbs:

The only things I'm not sure about are the colour settings (RGB etc...) and the audio (bitstream etc).
Any advice on the best settings for those for me?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The colour space settings don't actually seem to make a difference for some reason, I'm quite puzzled about that. And for the audio I set mine to re-encode because otherwise it was only stereo on my setup.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:The colour space settings don't actually seem to make a difference for some reason, I'm quite puzzled about that. And for the audio I set mine to re-encode because otherwise it was only stereo on my setup.
I don't have a surround system. Just an old stereo receiver which I plug headphones into. I guess it doesn't make much difference in that case? (It's currently on PCM btw).