Gladiator Re-release and Robin Hood (2010) Release News

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Gladiator Re-release and Robin Hood (2010) Release News

Post by bradavon »

Gladiator:

All articles seem to point back to The Digital Bits Rumour Mill but due to the awful website design on The Digital Bits, I cannot find the original article (where's the search button?).

There's also this: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4265 but that says the 6th of May, which has obviously now passed. Amazon.de has a listing, but it just says "Currently not available": http://www.amazon.de/Gladiator-Annivers ... B003ASV454

That Blu-ray.com article says "bluray-disc.de" is it's source. Looking at this, I've found (including cover art): http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme ... u-ray-disc

Which finally says "31/12/2010 (expected release)". So it's looking likely it will coincide with the Robin Hood DVD/BD release, later this year (which is what the original Digital Bits article seems to say). Whatever the release date ends up being, it definitely looks like it will arrive in 2010!

Robin Hood (2010):

Robin Hood: Director's Cut looks to be coming to The UK in September:

Normal Case: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robin-Hood-Exte ... B003DZ1328
Tin: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robin-Hood-Exte ... B003TFE43W
Last edited by bradavon on 04 Jul 2010, 12:15, edited 5 times in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Gladiator Re-release and Robin Hood (2010) Release News

Post by bradavon »

I'll be picking up both. Then selling my current Gladiator Blu-ray (which I'll have owned for over a year, by the time this gets released).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i thought you were happy with your Gladiator disc? as for Robin Hood,saw that recently,wow what a mediocre effort.totally lifeless and by the numbers.maybe the director's cut will improve it but i'm not hopeful.Russell Crowe is such a bland,charisma-free actor.
working class blu-ray fan
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

saltysam wrote:i thought you were happy with your Gladiator disc? as for Robin Hood,saw that recently,wow what a mediocre effort.totally lifeless and by the numbers.maybe the director's cut will improve it but i'm not hopeful.Russell Crowe is such a bland,charisma-free actor.
Haven't seen Robin Hood yet but thought that about Body of Lies AKA Jobby of Flies
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Fools who bought the origanal Gladiator Blu Gay deserve to have their eyes burned.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:Fools who bought the origanal Gladiator Blu Gay deserve to have their eyes burned.
are you an internet persona or are you like this in real life? if your internet views reflect your real life personality then you need to see a psychiatrist-seriously.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

:lol:
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Was the Blu of Glad-he-ate-her that bad?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:i thought you were happy with your Gladiator disc?
I am. I also said at the time it has serious problems. It's a fantastic film and as such I'm happy to buy it again.
saltysam wrote:Russell Crowe is such a bland,charisma-free actor.
I don't think it's him (he has lots of charisma in Gladiator) but the material. Robin Hood is good IMO but clearly it's not one of Scott's best. Blade Runner is but you dislike that also, so I'm not sure what more I can say.
luckystars wrote:Was the Blu of Glad-he-ate-her that bad?
Coming from someone who actually owns it (i.e - which discounts most people on this forum at least). It has been severely edge enhanced and noise reduced. None of it necessary but at the same time it's easily better than any DVD release. Funnily enough something Chris Gould over at DVD Active recently agreed with me on:

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/arti ... th-it.html

Something Romero will never understand but that for me is the point. If it were worse than the DVD "overall", I'd have sold it by now but it's a noticeable improvement, so I kept it.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
saltysam wrote:Russell Crowe is such a bland,charisma-free actor.
I don't think it's him (he has lots of charisma in Gladiator) but the material. Robin Hood is good IMO but clearly it's not one of Scott's best. Blade Runner is but you dislike that also, so I'm not sure what more I can say.
I Admit,Crowe was great in Gladiator.in most other stuff i've seen him in though he's just mediocre.oh,i forgot i liked him in Quick & The Dead...as for Scott,Alien is one my all-time favourites,i'm one of the few who prefer it to the sequel.overall though he's made far too many bland movies.

bradavon wrote:If it were worse than the DVD "overall", I'd have sold it by now but it's a noticeable improvement, so I kept it.
Predator (original) & Terminator are better than the dvd,do you own those?As for Gladiator i'm equally guilty of owning it.i await my fate of being burnt at the stake or drowned as a witch by Matthew Hopkins aka Romerojpg :icon_suspect:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Romerojpg pictured at the Trial of Bradavon and Saltysam that took place in Norfolk,England.exact date unknown.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After a 2-day inquisition Saltysam is found guilty of the charges of owning Gladiator BD,paying more than £15 for The Crow Blu-Ray,voting Labour and sticking up for immigrants.he is immediately taken away and burnt at the stake.

Bradavon after a trial lasting only a day is found guilty of the charges of owning Gladiator BD,refusing to use Quidco, failing to spot the stunt doubles in Face/Off and defending the use of british companies using indian call centres.Justice is less swift for him,he is placed in a cell where various tortures are placed upon him before finally,5 days later he is taken away and executed via the extreme method of hung,drawn & quartered.

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

:D
saltysam wrote:Alien is one my all-time favourites,i'm one of the few who prefer it to the sequel
Agreed. It's the best of the Quadrilogy. I've not seen Alien 3 Workprint yet though.
saltysam wrote:Predator (original) & Terminator are better than the dvd,do you own those?As for Gladiator i'm equally guilty of owning it.i await my fate of being burnt at the stake or drowned as a witch by Matthew Hopkins aka Romerojpg :icon_suspect:
Terminator no because isn't it supposed to look 99% the same as the DVD, maybe slightly better? That's what all reviews basically said. Predator again no because like Terminator it stank of "re-release" but given that the re-release stinks (for a different reason) I likely will pick it up now. It's only £8-9 at Amazon. I'd thought I'd read some reviews first but will very likely be getting the original Predator BD. Unlike Terminator, it's not as if we're going to get a better release any time soon, they've not yet released their "fixed" version.

Gladiator is a marked improvement (with problems) and clearly doesn't stink of "re-release". Whereas Predator and Terminator, I understand are only marginal improvements, no? Besides you told me it wasn't worth getting Predator :D.

Just quickly, you mentioned Once Upon a Time in China recently. I'm sure you've answered this before but in your opinion the best release is still the Fortune Star DVD right? Did you pick up Parts 2 and 3?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote::D

Just quickly, you mentioned Once Upon a Time in China recently. I'm sure you've answered this before but in your opinion the best release is still the Fortune Star DVD right? Did you pick up Parts 2 and 3?
i have the HKL set,which is ok to my eyes,though i know the FS is supposedly superior.I Had the BD of Pt 1 but it was a horrible,dnr'd to fuck mess ,i couldn't watch it.i sold it on quickly,did the same with Police Story.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

There's meant to be a proper remaster of Terminator soon isnt there?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Not soon. Unless others know more.

@ Salty: Thanks. Oddly going by the DVD Beaver captures, OUATIC2 looks pretty good and nowhere near as DNRed as Part 1:

Part 2: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm

It looks like both Predator and OUATIC have been so DNRed there's no detail left. Gladiator has also been DNRed but it's certainly not as bad as these two look, not by half.

I own The OUATIC Trilogy twice: HKL and Fortune Star IVL. Overall the IVL has better PQ but in some ways the HKLs are better than the IVL ones (audio may only be 5.1 but it's in better shape than the IVL ones: Muffed Mono or OTT 5.1). I'd consider picking up OUATIC2 and OUATIC3 on BD but A: It's odd to not also own Part 1 and B: They're bloody expensive.

The same goes for the Bruce Lee films. Sure they're probably an improvement over the DVDs but at £20 a pop, they should be massively better. Going by the DVD Beaver captures, The Big Boss looks good but Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon look rough. If they were a tenner, I'd give them a shot but at £20 delivered, I imagine I'll be disappointed.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

sam :thumbs:

and hey Van Ling (or whatever he is called) is working on a new HD version of Terminator, and has been for a long time now, god only knows when it will come along (hopefully this year), but it has to be better than the old one.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It won't be out soon though. I bet we don't see it this year. When is Terminator 5 coming?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Terminator 5 has not been announced as even going ahead now, part 4 seemed to slow them down in world domination :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Gladiator remastered news (it's out in Holland)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1263450
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Salty. It looks loads better.

It's the Edge Enhancement that pisses me off on the original BD (it's really excessive in places), not the DNR which looks okay IMO. I still see lots of detail and cannot really see any more in the improved captures (unlike say Predator where it's all waxey and just horrible). It's a moot point though, when they ruined it by adding lots of EE. These new captures back up what I thought about the BD at the time.

Oddly the colours are different too. Any word which is closer to how the DVDs looked? The new version I'm guessing.

I'll be picking up the UK release for sure and comparing for myself.
Last edited by bradavon on 18 Jul 2010, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Taken from that AVS Forum link. It's a capture of the Dutch release with UK ratings :D -

The new cover art is identical but looks to have a gold banner across the top. For those who cannot wait, all currently pre-orders:

http://www.freerecordshop.nl/films/glad ... 0582773859
http://www.mediadis.com/video/detail.asp?id=519334
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/dvd/gladiator-1 ... 4009056519

It's up for pre-order in France too: http://www.mediadis.com/video/detail.asp?id=538217
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

they should offer a p/x programme for people who bought the original release.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Especially as it's coming so soon after the previous release and is an identical release except for the new transfer. If that doesn't stink of "we know we cocked up", what does. I doubt it will happen though. There's loads of people who've got no idea it's being re-released.

I'm confident I can eBay my old one. After I've compared them of course. Nothing on UK online retailers yet :(.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

"Remastered" Gladiator looks so much better.