The Exorcist

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: The Exorcist

Post by luckystars »

You missed my point but never mind :lol:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Please explain?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Campbell pwned Kermode on that one.

As for his worth as a critic. I don't agree with him on many occasions. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to his POV. I'm not a weak-minded fool who needs to be agreed with. I love a good argument and could give Kermode a run for his money... He speaks his mind and that's what he's paid for.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:He speaks his mind and that's what he's paid for.
Exactly. Something some clearly don't get.

A critic isn't there to say what you want to hear but give a true opinion of what they think. Whether you agree with them, it's irrelevant to the purpose of their job.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Campbell made some excellent points and came across well in that interview.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:He speaks his mind and that's what he's paid for.
Exactly. Something some clearly don't get.
No he gets paid to spoil films for people and make mistakes :thumbs: but you will never admit to that ever, mind you not that you would ever notice in anything he write or says as you do not even watch films :lol: I watch more in a month than you do in a year, so how on gods earth you would ever notice any mistakes, well you would not, just like stunt doubles you are blind :thumbs:

Next up you will be defending Wossy on film 2010 and all his hilairous mistakes as well. All that cash cannot pay for getting anything right, at all. Wossy also spoils films for others, another tosser then.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

What films has he spoilt?

What mistakes has he made?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Many, we are not talking about the odd mistake. None I can remember off hand as frankly I forget his shit after I hear it and it has been many years since had to listen every week to his shite, hence why I have not for a many years now. The only films I remember his ruining were Seven (which I had not seen at the time) and Fight Club (which I had), both at the time of release while in cinemas if I remember.

Give it a google, I am sure you will find plenty of people willing to inform you.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Mark: He spoiled the ending of Ringu, during his intro to it on FilmFour. I remember being annoyed about that on. He's since been on record to apologise. That's the only time I'm aware of. As a rule he goes to great length to avoid spoilers, not including things like discussing the ending to Titanic obviously (what do you mean, you didn't realise the ship sank?).
romerojpg wrote:Next up you will be defending Wossy on film 2010 and all his hilairous mistakes as well.
I cannot believe you're comparing Jonathan Ross's film knowledge to Mark Kermode's.
romerojpg wrote:I watch more in a month than you do in a year
How exactly is that relevant to Kermode's film knowledge? You say that, like you're expecting us all to give you a round of applause. Big fucking deal. Hungfist watches more films in a year than probably anyone else. And that's relevant how exactly?
romerojpg wrote:Many, we are not talking about the odd mistake. None I can remember off hand as frankly I forget his shit after I hear it.
Never has evidence been more conclusive :D.

As per usual, you make sweeping statements but when asked to back it up with evidence, you mysteriously cannot remember.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

luckystars wrote: As a critic that means he's no better at it than us. Except he should be - he should be the guy informing us of the good movies, not just ones that fit to his questionable tastes.

As I said, what good is a critic if he's not bringing good films to your attention?

If he's not and it's just bashing this director or that actor (in effect it becomes a performance) then it's pointless for me reading/viewing their stuff.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Re. Se7en: He actually told the listener that Gwyneth's head was in the box??

Surely he would've been reprimanded for that one?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Surely not?

@ Lucky Stars: I see what you mean now. He "reviews" films too :D, well mostly actually.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I havent seen Ringu yet :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

:o Grimmy!!! It's the best horror film ever, I presume you know the ending by now which is a shame because I was caught totally off-guard when I first saw it.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Best horror film ever?! Nah, that's John Carpenter's The Thing! :D
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I don't find that film scary, I like it though.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I don't find any horror film scary.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Ringu (that's the Japanese one) and The Shining I found scary but no other horror film.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Ringu (that's the Japanese one)
The clue's in the title!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I know but up until the American one came, we all just called it Ring.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:I watch more in a month than you do in a year
How exactly is that relevant to Kermode's film knowledge? You say that, like you're expecting us all to give you a round of applause. Big fucking deal. Hungfist watches more films in a year than probably anyone else. And that's relevant how exactly?
It is VERY relevant, as how do you know he has made a mistake if you have not seen the film he is on about? as you dont watch exactly many films (you say it yourself) then most of the stuf he talks about will mean nothing at all to you in any way, you just take it in as 100% reality. Say he gets a charecter name of Bob wrong and says Roger instead, how would you ever know if you never even saw the film :D

I acctually complained many many a year ago about both Kermode and Wossy to the BBC with a list of things they got wrong over a few months. Maybe it was only 10 things I think, but come on! they get paid the big bucks to get it right.

As I have said already a simple google search will bring up plenty of people saying what he gets wrong and spoils. I am sure as shit I aint doing it for you, as frankly you would defend him to the end just becuase "You" have not seen him say anything that is wrong. Anything I say or show you on the net you will just say something back to defend him, which hilariously you already have to Mark's Seven find, which did gut the ending for me (and many others) if anyone who watched the film and knew that information before hand would clock onto what has happened ages before the reveal.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

If Kermode does indeed give away endings then of course that's wrong.

I only listen to his Radio 5 show and apart from the Harry Potter gaff I didn't realise it was a regular occurence.

He needs to be more careful... or else Danny Dire will punch his "cannister"(!)
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

IronMonkey wrote:Best horror film ever?! Nah, that's John Carpenter's The Thing! :D

:rock:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Markgway wrote: I only listen to his Radio 5 show and apart from the Harry Potter gaff I didn't realise it was a regular occurence.
It doubt it happens often nowadays surley, I am talking about many years ago mainly :) since he became podcast king of the world and streamed pretty much live on the net I doubt he lets anything slip - spoilers or mistakes (well I would hope so). I dont watch or listen to anything on a regular basis nowadays, just the odd thing on youtube for a chuckle or an article in papers or net, so cannot say anything much about him from recent stuff.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan