Re: Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho

Post by grim_tales »

Hopefully Rear Window will come soon.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:i see the uk release loses the Mono
Well, I've always wanted to hear the film in JAPANESE mono. I mean WTF???

:rage:

I'll be importing the US edition.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I think I'll be covering the UK release for DVDtimes (disc only, pasting another reviewer's film review), so I may be able to provide feedback on this nice and early! :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Good to know. :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

No Mono in the UK was sadly a given. There's no point getting angry, it's just how things work.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:There's no point getting angry, it's just how things work.
There is, people complain harder and to the right people and things get done and changed.

Sit back say its the way things work, well you get what you expect. Nothing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Hardly. It's one thing to get a single film re-released (e.g- Gladiator), it's another thing entirely to get the practise of not one but several companies to change their policy on adding Mono to DVD/BD releases. If they were going to listen, they would have a long time ago.

p.s - Besides send a letter to Warner/Fox if you're that bothered, not some small Internet forum.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

WHOOOOOOOSH! :lol:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

When is Gladiator getting re-released? I heard of a proper remaster which is why I held off buying the BD.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I might complain on this occasion. Once Shingster confirms the mono absence. I'd like to have more knowledge before mailing a rant.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Hardly. It's one thing to get a single film re-released (e.g- Gladiator), it's another thing entirely to get the practise of not one but several companies to change their policy on adding Mono to DVD/BD releases. If they were going to listen, they would have a long time ago.

p.s - Besides send a letter to Warner/Fox if you're that bothered, not some small Internet forum.
If I'm not mistaken, Fox started including mono on their Fortune Star releases after fan feedback.

Media Blasters was keeping the situation on eye already before starting their Shaw releases... they announced they had been reading forums and try to avoid the shortcomings (of other companies) that fans have been complaing on the forums. And while their releases have not been flawless, I believe they have indeed done quite a fine job (mono on each release, re-translated subs, correct running speed / pgrogressive transfers (with maybe 2 exeptions))

Even I was contacted by an US dvd distributor after I posted forum comments about the existing European and Japanese dvd releases of a certain Japanese cult film that this US company had licensed for future release.

And the best example is how those guys at the cult labs forums managed to convince BBFC to take Argento's Inferno for another inspection... later BBFC announced that due to feedback from ordinary people, they have decided to review the film... and miraculously, passed it uncut. The upcoming UK Blu-Ray will hence be uncut, even to the surprise of the company releasing it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

HungFist wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Fox started including mono on their Fortune Star releases after fan feedback.
That's a handful of films, it's not changed their general policy. Which was my point. Those are also all American releases, again my point. After these were released they removed Mono/Stereo from the European James Bond BDs.
HungFist wrote:Media Blasters
I was talking in connection with the big companies. Media Blasters unless I'm mistaken are a small company. I could've been cleared about that one but put simply it's standard practise to remove Mono on European releases as far as Warner/Fox etc... goes. Sure they may include it on the odd release but that's more by luck than anything else.
HungFist wrote:Even I was contacted by an US dvd distributor after I posted forum comments about the existing European and Japanese dvd releases of a certain Japanese cult film that this US company had licensed for future release.
What did you tell them?
HungFist wrote:And the best example is how those guys at the cult labs forums managed to convince BBFC to take Argento's Inferno for another inspection... later BBFC announced that due to feedback from ordinary people, they have decided to review the film... and miraculously, passed it uncut. The upcoming UK Blu-Ray will hence be uncut, even to the surprise of the company releasing it.
Nice. That is progress. It doesn't prove anything against my point though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:When is Gladiator getting re-released? I heard of a proper remaster which is why I held off buying the BD.
Here we are:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=gladiator+blu-ray+re-release

Also look here: https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... =22&t=5587
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:
HungFist wrote:Even I was contacted by an US dvd distributor after I posted forum comments about the existing European and Japanese dvd releases of a certain Japanese cult film that this US company had licensed for future release.
What did you tell them?
Confidential :D

Yeah, you do have a point but you just seemed overly pessimistic. Nothing's ever gonna change if we don't at least try. You have to remember most people working in the dvd business, especially in bigger companies, are school graduates that have little or no knowledge of movies or fan preferences, sometimes even technical specs (the most infamous example being the head of UK's Third Window Films, who didn't even know which of their own releases are anamorphic and which are not. It's a very small company, though). I bet the lack of mono in most cases is because no one in the company ever came to think of somebody wanting a "crappy mono sound".

This also remind me of the story Eli Roth once told... after Cabin Fever Hollywood executives came to him offering him horror movie projects (remakes etc.). These producers all introduced themselves as big fans of horror cinema who want to work with a new talent... and as the discussion progressed it turned out none of them had ever seen The Evil Dead.

It's suprising how often people in the movie & dvd business simply don't have a clue what they are doing.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Cheers :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

HungFist wrote:Yeah, you do have a point but you just seemed overly pessimistic.
No, not really. Just a realist. Something many DVD forum members certainly are not. Expecting old school Hong Kong films for example to look as good as modern releases, is simply never going to happen but some still expect it.

Think about it, how many fan requests over the years have actually happened? If you take all the "this is not good enough, they must re-release it" requests as a whole, not many.
HungFist wrote:Nothing's ever gonna change if we don't at least try.
Of course. So write to the studios, don't bitch on some tiny web forum.
HungFist wrote:You have to remember most people working in the dvd business, especially in bigger companies, are school graduates that have little or no knowledge of movies or fan preferences
That I don't believe. They may not be movie fanatics but no one gets into a business, if they don't have at least some interest in it. The reality is probably 50/50: Studio bosses who once loved film but now are in it for the money and people with no power, just do as they're told.
HungFist wrote:I bet the lack of mono in most cases is because no one in the company ever came to think of somebody wanting a "crappy mono sound".
Then why bother to include it on any release? That's something I personally don't understand. It's often deliberately included on the American version.
HungFist wrote:This also remind me of the story Eli Roth once told...
You've had a discussion with Eli Roth?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

You mean the one where Roth and Chris Tookey discussed Hostel?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Expecting old school Hong Kong films for example to look as good as modern releases, is simply never going to happen but some still expect it.
Well, I don't know who you're talking about but a lot of remastered old school HK films look great IMO. Aside HK Video that keeps adjusting the colors and contrast to worse, I don't have much trouble with the transfers. The lack of passable mono does piss me off, though.
bradavon wrote:
HungFist wrote:Nothing's ever gonna change if we don't at least try.
Of course. So write to the studios, don't bitch on some tiny web forum.
Many people do. But like I said before, studios like Media Blasters, Synapse (whose head, Don May Jr., is a regular poster at dvdmanics forum), Discotek, Joy Sales (who did marketing research at ADVDG), Grindhouse Releasing and many others are reading and communicating with fans through internet forums. And even if they weren't keeping bullets on an eye, someone else may see these post and finally find the courage to write to those studios. The movement will get stronger when people on various forums are expressing their thoughts and know that they are not alone with their thoughts.

With big studios it's of course more difficult as mainstream films like Psycho are being sold to mainstream consumers who often wouldn't realize something is wrong even if they received a color version of a black & white film. But still no good to give up and just say "that's the way it is, let's just accept it".
grim_tales wrote:You mean the one where Roth and Chris Tookey discussed Hostel?
No, another interview in a magazine long time ago, before he had made Hostel.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

UK release has the Mono track.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

:clap:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Specifically for Markgway's sake :cool:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Sounds excellent.

As soon as it dips below a tenner I'm on it. :)