Limit BDM100 Blu Ray Player

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Limit BDM100 Blu Ray Player

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:I thought we established they were the same, no?

I Think it's a clone of a different Momitsu model though the hack is the same.Mark could confirm,he has the tevion & the limit.
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I think mine came today but no one was in to sign for it so I'll have to pick it up from the depot tomorrow.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:I think mine came today but no one was in to sign for it so I'll have to pick it up from the depot tomorrow.
why don't you see if your local store has one for £49.99 then return this one unopened for a refund?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Sending back a player might be a pain, I'll probably just keep it, still a good price I guess.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It shouldn't be a pain, you've got 7 days to return it. I'm not sure I'd bother though. Put it down to experience.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:I Think it's a clone of a different Momitsu model though the hack is the same.Mark could confirm,he has the tevion & the limit.
We're not opening it though. It's going to stay boxed until required. It's a back-up machine only.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Surely you should confirm it works? The code definitely works on it? I'd see your point if it was a present/you were going to sell it but what if it's broken and you wait until the warranty expires?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Surely you should confirm it works? The code definitely works on it? I'd see your point if it was a present/you were going to sell it but what if it's broken and you wait until the warranty expires?
Where am I going to set it up? We only have one HDTV. In order to check a £49.99 player (which again is only back-up) we'd have to disconnect the Tevion and cable up the Limit - then we'd have to sort the menu setup. All so we can unplug and rebox it. If it was expensive it would be worth the effort. But even a cheapskate like me isn't going to cry about a £50 machine that will most probably work in a few years time...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

another poster claims it's a one off code unlocks everything

http://www.avforums.com/forums/11221750-post237.html
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Nice, I've got to wait for a region A BD to arrive now, ordered the Criterion of Bottle Rocket a few days ago but I reckon it'll be a while because it's Amazon.com.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Sam, have you tried the multi-region code (973500) on the Tevion?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I saw them in my local HMV today and they were indeed £49.99 so I bought one, couldn't help myself considering I had £15 on a gift card so only had to pay £35 :clap:

Also brought home my hmv.com one, so I have two here haha. The player looks better than the photo implies, cool little thing.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

After playing around with it for a bit I'm chuffed (can't test a region A BD till one arrives though), my only niggles are that you have to manually select PAL/NTSC and 16:9/4:3 for each disc (when you need to change it), and that there's no way to see the bitrate/codecs.

Before I even turned it on, I entered that one-off code and it worked, enabling me to play R1 DVDs, and I've tried turning it off and on again and it's still playing R1 DVDs, so that's promising. It's great finally being able to watch my NTSC DVDs with no overscan via HDMI, they look way better.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Where am I going to set it up? We only have one HDTV. In order to check a £49.99 player (which again is only back-up) we'd have to disconnect the Tevion and cable up the Limit - then we'd have to sort the menu setup
It would take minutes. You don't need to setup any menus, save for setting it to the right resolution. Defaults are.

I don't really care. I just think it's silly to risk a duff unit, when it takes minutes. Anyway, it's not important :).
gasteropod wrote:my only niggles are that you have to manually select PAL/NTSC and 16:9/4:3 for each disc (when you need to change it)
That's annoying there's no Auto for PAL/NTSC. I leave mine on 16:9 and use the TV remote for 4:3 to put it to the 4:3 aspect ratio. This should work, unless the player stretches 4:3 to 16:9, in this mode.
gasteropod wrote:and that there's no way to see the bitrate/codecs.
That's annoyingly rare on BD Players. I cannot on mine.

Of most annoyance on my BD/HD-DVD Player is the lack of "time remaining" and "total time". All I have is "time past". It's really annoying, not knowing how long the film/extra is. Some titles have this as part of the actual disc but the font is always so bloody small. I can never read it, without getting up. Loads of people wanted BD Live, so they added it but frankly I'd find those simple features much more useful. It's not going to happen now.
gasteropod wrote:Before I even turned it on, I entered that one-off code and it worked, enabling me to play R1 DVDs, and I've tried turning it off and on again and it's still playing R1 DVDs, so that's promising.
That is good but Region Free for DVD is pretty much a given. The big question is, whether it's Multi-region or Region Free for BD. Multi-region being you can select separate regions but not Region Free. That probably isn't the correct terminology but it's what I use.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Well I've tested it on Region B BDs and they play fine even though it's playing R1 DVDs, so I presume it's just going to play anything automatically.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:Sam, have you tried the multi-region code (973500) on the Tevion?
doesn't work on the Tevion.Entering the code enables Region A playback but not B.Have a feeling it makes the unit multi-region for dvd but not BD. I Bought the Limit in HMV today.Bargain! it's pretty small as well.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Was in HMV today and all the Limit players had gone (and there were quite few).
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

gasteropod wrote:my only niggles are that you have to manually select PAL/NTSC and 16:9/4:3 for each disc (when you need to change it)
I've sorted the 16:9/4:3 thing by setting it to '16:9 Pillarboxed' which shows everything correctly. At first I thought that would make even widescreen stuff pillarboxed, but it doesn't.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

And I think I've sorted the NTSC/PAL thing by just leaving it on NTSC. It seems to handle PAL fine like that, whereas if you have it set to PAL, NTSC DVDs have stuttering movement.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Well I've tested it on Region B BDs and they play fine even though it's playing R1 DVDs, so I presume it's just going to play anything automatically.
It's more likely it uses two different internal codes. BD region coding and DVD region coding, works entirely separately.
saltysam wrote:doesn't work on the Tevion.Entering the code enables Region A playback but not B.Have a feeling it makes the unit multi-region for dvd but not BD. I Bought the Limit in HMV today.Bargain! it's pretty small as well.
That would be much more likely.

I thought it was DVD Region Free out of the box? Or the previous code did that too anyway?
gasteropod wrote:I've sorted the 16:9/4:3 thing by setting it to '16:9 Pillarboxed' which shows everything correctly. At first I thought that would make even widescreen stuff pillarboxed, but it doesn't.
Weird. I'd assume that too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

It also makes CDs sound great for some reason, perhaps due to the blue laser but I think it sounds better than the PS3's CD playback so I'm not sure.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Better DACs more likely. Odd given how much more the PS3 costs.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote: Odd given how much more the PS3 costs.
Well the tech in the PS3 is getting on now thats for sure, very old standards inside a PS3. If it was not for amazing firmware it would age poorly.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good point. It was released November 2006 and I don't think the hardware's changed since. Save for the changes to the Euro models. Maybe the PS3 Slim has newer hardware though/better DACs.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The PS3 has been updated that's for sure inside, better or worse god knows :D