Is this a good BD player?

Discuss High Definition Technology & Releases
User avatar
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8521
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by romerojpg » 02 Sep 2009, 19:45

NEWCASTLE city of people so thick they acctually put that on our local news as if it was ever going to happen.

It is far from made up by me thats for sure, think what you like :D

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by bradavon » 02 Sep 2009, 19:47

@ Gas: :D

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19709
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by Markgway » 03 Sep 2009, 00:20

Texting is for teenage girls.

Adults talk.
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by bradavon » 03 Sep 2009, 12:39

Yeah okay :?

Public transport is for kids

Adults drive
Last edited by bradavon on 03 Sep 2009, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21691
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by grim_tales » 03 Sep 2009, 17:07

Nowt wrong with texting IMO, it helps you keep in contact :?

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19709
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by Markgway » 03 Sep 2009, 19:28

bradavon wrote:Yeah okay :?

Public transport is for kids

Adults drive
Ludicrous analogy -- but I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

What about adults who can't drive (eg. for various medical reasons)?

What about the elderly who get free bus passes?

Brad, you're a muppet. :roll:

Makes me think maybe texting would be useful for those without speech. But if you can talk you should. The art of good conversation is dying out.
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by bradavon » 03 Sep 2009, 19:38

Is it? Millions of adults send text messages daily, millions are quite capable of sending the odd text now and then. Your comment was equally as ludicrous.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19709
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by Markgway » 03 Sep 2009, 19:42

The odd text now and then is not what we were talking about though was it?

Some people only use their phones for texting and it's replaced making actual calls.

That's what I'm moaning about.

All the time you see people fiddling about with their phones (usually teenage girls). A lot less actually talking on them.
Image

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by gasteropod » 03 Sep 2009, 20:32

I don't like talking on mobiles because it floods your brain with radiation...

User avatar
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9313
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by saltysam » 03 Sep 2009, 21:16

i know people whose lives revolve around constant texting.it's pathetic and the ignorance of some of them who constantly do it while you are trying to converse with them is mind boggling.
working class blu-ray fan

User avatar
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8521
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by romerojpg » 03 Sep 2009, 21:32

Or worse, while they drive!!!!!!!!!!! scum.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19709
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by Markgway » 04 Sep 2009, 08:08

gasteropod wrote:I don't like talking on mobiles because it floods your brain with radiation...
We can see that from your avatar.
Image

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by bradavon » 04 Sep 2009, 13:35

Markgway wrote:The odd text now and then is not what we were talking about though was it?
I wasn't being specific.
Markgway wrote:Some people only use their phones for texting and it's replaced making actual calls.
I do on the whole because I never feel comfortable on the telephone and it tends to all come out wrong. I don't see the big deal but people who cannot actually compose a proper sentence do my head in.
Markgway wrote:All the time you see people fiddling about with their phones (usually teenage girls). A lot less actually talking on them.
At least on the train I much prefer this, to "I'M ON THE PHONE" or "I'll BE HOME SOON". Learn fucking speak quietly.

I find people who're constantly on their mobile "talking" far more annoying.
gasteropod wrote:I don't like talking on mobiles because it floods your brain with radiation...
Do you really believe that? We're surrounded by:

TVs, Microwaves, FM Radio, DAB Radio, Wireless, Bluetooth, Freeview, Analogue TV, Sky, Cable and more.

Radiation of course but flooded I don't think so.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19709
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by Markgway » 04 Sep 2009, 16:46

bradavon wrote:I do on the whole because I never feel comfortable on the telephone and it tends to all come out wrong.
Oh, I understand that. I hate talking on the phone to strangers. I have a terrible time understanding what's being said if someone has a thick accent or poor diction (call centres are a fucking nightmare). Also I find I overpronounce on occasion to compensate for the lack of clarity you suffer when using a phone. Because I rarely feel comfortable I avoid phone calls when I can. Much prefer e-mails.
At least on the train I much prefer this, to "I'M ON THE PHONE" or "I'll BE HOME SOON". Learn fucking speak quietly.
Some people shout like they're holding tin cans attached by string.
I find people who're constantly on their mobile "talking" far more annoying.
True. If I'm talking for more than a minute it's a long call.
Image

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21691
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by grim_tales » 04 Sep 2009, 17:48

I find people with thick accents very hard to understand sometimes especially if you're doing something like sorting out Broadband :(

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by bradavon » 04 Sep 2009, 18:19

Markgway wrote:Because I rarely feel comfortable I avoid phone calls when I can. Much prefer e-mails.
Me too. Ironically I walk in IT Support, mostly telephone based for work. It doesn't phase me at work as I'm in "work mode" though.
Markgway wrote:True. If I'm talking for more than a minute it's a long call.
Me too.
grim_tales wrote:I find people with thick accents very hard to understand sometimes especially if you're doing something like sorting out Broadband :(
It's annoying when you're asking for anything "technical" related, thankfully not something I need to do often. I usually work it out for myself. However most British people are very impatient and not willing to be patient and dry that bit harder to understand the person. I am "much" more patient than most though. I have to be in my line of work.

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21691
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by grim_tales » 04 Sep 2009, 18:35

Of course, I try to be patient too, the call centre person is being polite (hopefully) its their job, and so you should be polite also :) But as you say when its "technichal" its hard to understand replies.

User avatar
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8521
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by romerojpg » 04 Sep 2009, 18:39

bradavon wrote:However most British people are very impatient and not willing to be patient and dry that bit harder to understand the person. I am "much" more patient than most though. I have to be in my line of work.
Crap, they should have perfect english speakers for english customers, easy and simple really. I should not have to "Try" to understand anyone, I want english help, not semi english from some person who is half way around the world.

Outsourcing call centres to India is a joke on an epic scale.

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by gasteropod » 04 Sep 2009, 18:45

bradavon wrote:Do you really believe that? We're surrounded by:

TVs, Microwaves, FM Radio, DAB Radio, Wireless, Bluetooth, Freeview, Analogue TV, Sky, Cable and more.

Radiation of course but flooded I don't think so.
It's the frequency that matters, and mobile phones work on a frequency that fucks us up. Wireless too, it's unfortunate that we have to live with that.

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by bradavon » 04 Sep 2009, 18:56

Do you have Wireless at home Gas?

Because for me, the evidence is so 50/50 that frankly I'm not going to get rid of such a useful tool for it. I drive a car, knowing full well it's contributing to fucking up the atmosphere around us. You've taken drugs, knowing they have an element of danger.
romerojpg wrote:Crap, they should have perfect english speakers for english customers, easy and simple really. I should not have to "Try" to understand anyone, I want english help, not semi english from some person who is half way around the world. Outsourcing call centres to India is a joke on an epic scale.
Thank Mr. Xenophobia. You just need patience, it's really not that difficult. If you'd actually travelled you'd quickly discover they have to try their best to understand our weird accents when we're in their country. They sure as hell don't bitch about "being a little difficult to understand". It's sad really how narrow minded some people can be.

Indian call centres are no different to say call centres in Scotland and they're as British as we are.

As to Semi English I'd wager their English is better tan a hell of a lot of English people's, whose grasp of English is often abysmal. Why does it matter if they're half away around the world? That's certainly xenophobic. I take your "hard to understand because of accent point" but why does it matter if they're half way around the world? Unless you admit you're xenophobic of course. Sadly as many British people are.

Something I've comment on before and Mark even still has in his signature. I meant xenophobic not racist for the record.

User avatar
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8521
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by romerojpg » 04 Sep 2009, 19:09

bradavon wrote: Thank Mr. Xenophobia. You just need patience
Errr no.

I want help instantly! you pay for many call help lines!! what the hell do I want to try and understand someone who understands bugger all of what I say never mind me understanding their broken english :roll: even if it is free it is MY TIME! why waste time trying to understand, I want real clear ENGLISH SPEAKERS!! only an idiot would defend overseas call centres like you are.

and as for your comment on travel and picking shit up.
I know more non english people than most people ever will and have to interact with them every day, I hate talking to the ones who can only speak broken english, esspecially for help which I have to do a lot! it costs me time and cash "Trying" to get a simple thing over to them or from them, which would take a fraction of the time if they were perfect with English.

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by gasteropod » 04 Sep 2009, 19:12

bradavon wrote:Do you have Wireless at home Gas?
Yeah because my mum's boyfriend uses it, I don't personally use wireless but obviously you can't get away from it because it comes to you from neighbours' houses as well.

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by gasteropod » 04 Sep 2009, 19:14

romerojpg wrote:I know more non english people than most people ever will

:lol:

User avatar
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24419
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by bradavon » 04 Sep 2009, 20:04

romerojpg wrote:I want help instantly! you pay for many call help lines!! what the hell do I want to try and understand someone who understands bugger all of what I say never mind me understanding their broken english :roll:
If you actually attempted to listen you'd quickly realise their Engish on the whole is actually very good and even understand them but of course you're too lazy and cannot be bothered.
romerojpg wrote:only an idiot would defend overseas call centres like you are.
Like I said I've seen it from the other side and I also have better things to get irate about.
romerojpg wrote:I know more non english people than most people ever
Classic :D. You do love talking bullshit. You know more than "most" people, yeah right.
romerojpg wrote:I hate talking to the ones who can only speak broken english
How nice and I bet you expect "them" to understand English perfectly when you go abroad, if you actually went abroad that is.

That's what really gets on my nerves. So many Brits hate it when people in this country cannot speak fluent English and have a heavy accent, yet the very same people expect it to not work the other way round and expect people in their own country to understand English.

I do expect people in customer service roles to speak conversational English when abroad but like I said I at least am happy to be patient when it's the other way around.
romerojpg wrote:which would take a fraction of the time if they were perfect with English.
Yeah fucking right. There are dozens of accents across the UK and Ireland, not to mention North Americans and you still reckon speaking fluent English is enough to get your message across first time? What you're really saying is, you want "everyone" to speak like you and have an accent like you. That is xenophobia and it's an ugly character trait.

User avatar
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8521
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Is this a good BD player?

Unread post by romerojpg » 04 Sep 2009, 20:10

You really do talk fucking shit.

Post Reply