Watchmen - shafted by Paramount

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Watchmen - shafted by Paramount

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Fuck, I just found that Australasian releases, both DVD and BD, only have the Theatrical Cut (just like the UK releases).

Why not include the DC? Fuck you Paramount, Warner US is getting my money.

It seems that the only way to get the DC in either UK or Australasia (other than importing) is to buy the PS3 disc compilation version of the Watchmen game, which has been panned by the many critics. At least it will be a HD version, but you're also getting a shit game.
Watchmen: The End is Nigh The Complete Experience is an innovative, retail Blu-ray Hi-Def game and film hybrid which will include Watchmen: The End is Nigh Parts 1 and 2 and the Watchmen: Director’s Cut on Blu-ray. This new cut of the action-packed blockbuster includes an additional 25 minutes of footage not seen in theaters, available only on Blu-ray and DVD. The two-disc collectible set will also feature exclusive artwork in a premium package. The game will be playable on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system which can also play the Blu-ray disc of Watchmen: Director’s Cut. The Watchmen: The End is Nigh The Complete Experience will be available on July 21 for a suggested retail price of $49.99.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Skip that crap set with a motion comic! and a dire animation put in to ruin the film.

Just get the Directors Cut out now in America :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:Skip that crap set with a motion comic! and a dire animation put in to ruin the film.

how do you know it'll ruin the film? :wink: it might work well
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I watched it, I hated every second of it :D to sit thru that cut into a superb film would gut the film for me.

Others may like it, but I have no idea why :D its an ugly and dodgy little thing.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:I watched it, I hated every second of it :D to sit thru that cut into a superb film would gut the film for me.

Others may like it, but I have no idea why :D its an ugly and dodgy little thing.
Watchmen completists wank over it :wink:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup I know it does seem that the comic readers esspecially want it back in the film Bigtime, along with all the other stuff missing from the comics. But then I have no reason to even buy the comics as I love the film :D

I will let them argue over and over and over again which is better the film or comic. All I can say is the film worked the way it was, even if them fans thought the changes were insulting to the comic etc.. I think they forget it's a film, not a comic.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yes its a film, but don't you think it should be faithful to it's original source material? It's like a film based on a book, would you expect filmmakers to chuck out all elements of a source novel?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

A film is a film. A comic book is a comic book.

Besides they need to leave some stuff for the sequel...
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

grim_tales wrote:It's like a film based on a book, would you expect filmmakers to chuck out all elements of a source novel?
They very often do.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Come on Grim, you very well know by that it's often necessary to drop and/or add bits and pieces when going from one medium to another. I.e. budgetary and time constraints, the fact that certain things from one medium just do not work in another, etc.

Any sensible director would've lopped all of that Black Freighter business from a film adaptation, just as Schneider did. It may give a lot of insight into why the Adrian character is the way he is, but it would've left the viewer asking "What did all of that pirate stuff have to do with anything? It went nowhere."

In film, having good pacing is more often than not quite important. You have more opportunity to take your time to tell a story in other mediums, especially with literature.

I highly suggest that you read some of the interesting articles on Tvtropes.org about this subject.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... stillation
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ationDecay
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... Adaptation
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah, some things have to be changed/adapted or even removed, but thats not what I said :)