Freesat HDD/Blu-ray Recorders - This Summer

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

First Look:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/feature ... s+15+04+09

WOW! These look amazing.

I'll pick up one of these for sure, when they reach their 2nd-4th generation, meaning the price comes down to a reasonable rate.

Of course, what really holds these decks back in the UK market is lack of content.

I doubt many are going to spend a grand just to record BBC HD and ITV HD, especially when Humax sell a Twin Tuner Freesat HD PVR for about £300-400.

I hope the Media Centre interface is decent, with album art support because this is what seriously lets down Pioneers equivalent on their HDD/DVD Recorders. It's nowhere near as good as the likes of Windows Media Center.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where on earth though are the twin tuner Freeview versions? It's so long overdue that Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic haven't released a twin tuner Freeview model and still give us a useless analogue tuner (for most people).

Also can these new Blu-ray models finally Pause and Rewind Live TV properly? Except for Philips all HDD/DVD Recorders do this in such an inefficient and woeful manner. Sky+ and Freeview+ boxes are significantly better at doing it. Which is why I have to own two boxes when I really only need one.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Panasonic released a twin tuner Freeview PVR a few years ago (around 2005 from memory). They had problems with it - it had dodgy software and lots of complaints so it got pulled.

They've never bothered again with a new model since.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I didn't know that. Sony released one too but it was just a rebadged Digifusion and also received lots of bad flack (the Digifusion it was based on was tosh). Only Humax and Topfield seem possible of getting one right. They seem very hard to actually make properly.

I was actually referring to their HDD/DVD Recorder units though. Almost every week someone over on AVForums asks why they (Pioneer and Sony also) still give us a redundant (for many) analogue tuner in place of a digital one.

The same goes for HDD/DVD Recorder units. Only Pioneer and Panasonic are capable of getting them right. Sony do also but they're rebadgered Pioneers. Toshiba, Philips, LGs and especially Samsung's are full of problems.