Rambo series: HD releases

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Rambo series: HD releases

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:The throat-ripping has been cut down. That's one of the best bits. :icon_suspect:
That scene is completely gratutious and I hated it. I'm pleased that one is cut back but otherwise wouldn't want it cut back further. I wonder why no review has mentioned this?

Thanks for the info Mark. I wasn't sure if I wanted this but now know I don't. The violence is the whole point of Rambo 4 and the pacing was perfect, which is a very rare thing indeed.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I like the throat ripping scene for two reasons:

1. It shows how lethal (and savage) Rambo is with his bare hands (compared to the other mercs).
2. The rapist fucker REALLY deserves it.

If I had to lose any violence it would be the CGI blood explosions.

Maybe we should email Sony (UK) and ask them for a two-disc set?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm happy to decide which release is for me and just keep that one. I own the odd film twice but it's few and far between.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

From everything I am reading it is obvious the new transfer is a bit different, the new footage for one stands out and looks different to the rest of the transfer, they messed up the color timing and the compression! dohh!. Classy. Also the new cut looks pretty different to the old cuts transfer, much more washed out so to say. Will be interesting to see more as the experts get the disc.
Would not put me off see in the new cut mind you, but hey curiosity only at the moment, the new disc looks like it could distract a bit and pull me out of the film what with missing scenes and the transfer niggles.

Still the extras are a joke a SD documentary :lol: well done. Nice to see morons still not doing HD stuff.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:From everything I am reading it is obvious the new transfer is a bit different, the new footage for one stands out and looks different to the rest of the transfer, they messed up the color timing and the compression! dohh!. Classy. Also the new cut looks pretty different to the old cuts transfer, much more washed out so to say. Will be interesting to see more as the experts get the disc.
Would not put me off see in the new cut mind you, but hey curiosity only at the moment, the new disc looks like it could distract a bit and pull me out of the film what with missing scenes and the transfer niggles.

picture quality gets a 4/5 from bluray.com, i saw no problems with it.most of the extra footage is just the deleted scenes from the old disc put back in. The extended cut doesn't really add much to the film,it's not radically different and the worst part of it now is the Julie Benz character now has 4 conversations with Rambo in the first 20 minutes trying to convince them to take them on his boat.Very samey and needless i'd say.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rambo-Blu ... 58/#Review

another positive review for the transfer
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43592/rambo/
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Blu-ray.com is a dire site, one of the worst reviewing sites on the net. They miss everything bad about transfers and lay down amazing compliments on shit transfers. Fanboys of the format until they die.
These were some of the reviewers who said Gladiator was an amazing transfer and everyone else was wrong :thumbs: yup we were so wrong they now offer exchanges because the transfer was soo good :lol: that sums up that site perfectly.

DVDtalk I avoid as well :thumbs:

Still these things depend on how picky you are I guess, some reviews just watch the film more than a transfer (which the public do as well) :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:Blu-ray.com is a dire site, one of the worst reviewing sites on the net. They miss everything bad about transfers and lay down amazing compliments on shit transfers. Fanboys of the format until they die.
These were some of the reviewers who said Gladiator was an amazing transfer and everyone else was wrong :thumbs: yup we were so wrong they now offer exchanges because the transfer was soo good :lol: that sums up that site perfectly.

DVDtalk I avoid as well :thumbs:

Still these things depend on how picky you are I guess, some reviews just watch the film more than a transfer (which the public do as well) :D
Any links to the reviews that say the transfer is sub-par then?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Very few real deep reviews yet, mainly reviewers who have had the disc a bit and they seem to be posting comments before they get round to their deep and full main reviews which may take them a bit to finish I guess :) give them a few more days and I am sure the majority will have their stuff online.
I wouldn't say sub par is the right word from all I have read, some people seem to be saying it does not beat the old one and are finding niggles with the new one. Just from the screen cap comparisons so far it is very different looking, I prefer the old ones look that's for sure from caps I have seen (but hey, we may well not notice that when you sit down and watch it all).
I know the UK disc was a tiny bit better than the USA old Blu Ray, so who knows the UK may get the best deal in the end for image quality :D we may yet get the new cut in the UK.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I don't think Blu-ray.com is a dire site, but I have to agree with romero that they are usually too lenient on HD video and should never be used as a definitive source to judge a HD transfer on, although their video reviews can usually be helpful when placed in context with other reviews.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Shingster wrote:I don't think Blu-ray.com is a dire site
I may well have only read the reviews I thought they were wrong with, which is a bit one sided on my part I guess :D
I am sure many of their reviews are spot on, I just dont usually view every review on the site so I may never see that.

Mind you the actual new cut if splitting people, some seem to love it, some are a little bit hesitant to like it because of the little nips and cuts, or they just do not seem to interested in some of the new footage like you say Salty the talky bits seem to not get with some people.

If only this new one has another Stallone commentary to explain the new changes in a little more detail and why he chose to do things different now :) I think he is a quality talker, really an interesting commentary guy, goes into subjects you never expect. He comes off always as very intelligent and down to earth, but fun as well :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Here's what a regular at dvdf thinks:

"Just got done with the new US BD of John Rambo (to give it the proper title) and it's a winner. LOVE the new cut of the film. It isn't magically turned into a masterpiece, but those extra beats with Rambo and Sarah are so worthwhile because it turns him into something resembling a human, rather than the monosyllabic killing machine of the theatrical version.

Rambo's speech stating that "killing's as easy as breathing" works so much better when delivered to Sarah, rather than as a voice-over while he's forging his new machete (which, BTW, takes on much greater significance in this new cut). The prayer that now accompanies said scene is much more chilling. Love the "peace is an accident" line too.

And y'know what? I applaud the slight cuts to the violence. There's a thin line between 'exposing the horror' (or whatever reason people use to justify it) and outright exploitation, and the original version crosses that line IMO. There's also a stylistic issue too, as the attack on the missionaries' village is done in very quick cuts, but the trimmed bits with the kids lingers on their suffering just a little too long.

Don't get me wrongo, if people want to see kids getting slowly bayonetted in close-up then that's their choice, and the theatrical version will always be there for them. Me, I can do without it and there's still enough carnage in the EC to make my jaw drop. FYI the new version was put together by Sly, so make no mistake: this is how he wants it now.

As for AV quality, the UK BD from Sony (theatrical cut) does have the slight edge in PQ, looking just a tad cleaner and more detailed, but the sound is not even close. I never caught the previous US edition, 'cause I didn't think that the DTS MA 7.1 audio would be that much of a step above the TrueHD 5.1 on the UK disc. Boy, was I wrong! The dynamic range of the DTS mix is huge but VERY well balanced with it, and the rear soundfield is a master-class in directionality. Truly demo worthy stuff. The UK mix in comparison sounds like I've got my amp's 'night mode' activated (I haven't, BTW
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I guess sound wise it seems one big upgrade, well unless someone is using headphones to watch it :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

romerojpg wrote:I guess sound wise it seems one big upgrade, well unless someone is using headphones to watch it :D
:icon_suspect:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

If you want to see a bad DVD/BD review site, check out MichaelDVD.com.au. Those reviews on AV quality are awful.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yeah but Blu-ray.com is a massive site.
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

I actually enjoy blu-ray.com as well as dvdtalk.com. I think they're actually 2 of the more dependable review sites. I like reviews that critique the product for what it is rather than some of the more anal sites that look for and then perpetuate every little flaw they think they see. Once I read a review for Avatar where the guy gave the movie a D- then trashed the AQ/PQ because he felt the filmmakers and studio were too greedy to release for releasing it barebones (?!).

Back to John Rambo, as someone who actually has it and watched it, it still looks and sounds great. I suspect the softer transfer was done intentionally so the added footage would integrate more seamlessly. Plus I think it actually adds a more rough and rugged look to the film, but thats just me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

DVD Talk's a good review site, so is Blu-ray.com.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

DangerousLeeHandsome wrote:I like reviews that critique the product for what it is rather than some of the more anal sites that look for and then perpetuate every little flaw they think they see.
Well good sites do not think they see, they do see, as the flaws are there to see in the first place.
I see as they are usually obvious and in your face problems which can ruin a films transfer.

I want perfection and it can be done and many discs get it right, but when people review discs because they have no skill at the job and still rave over a poor transfer or a bugged disc, well that is just simply dumb for everyone and lets disc makers off lightly and they will never learn their ways if we do not point out they are doing wrong.

If you enjoy a site like Blu-Ray.com then that's fine, we all like some entertaining stuff once in a while, but there is a simple line between enjoying, and actually getting real facts about a disc. Some places get it wrong way to often to be called a good site, and even when they find out they were wrong they do not go back and change their garbage.

Blu-Ray.com have got it wrong a lot from what I have seen, blind people can see that. Why even have HD at all then. Mind you Brad you bought Gladiator, shows you that you fit in well with Blu-ray.com then :lol: they never admitted it was shit either.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Serious question Romero. What DVDs or BDs have got it right in your opinion?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I try to forget about standard dvds now, but Blu Rays too many to mention, most are well done that's for sure :) but some recent quality transfers I have seen and I am sure most will like as well - Juno, Serenity, Inglorious Basterds, The Descent, Toy Story 1 and 2, Twilight, I'Robot, Braveheart spring to mind over the last few weeks :)
I even just got through Star Trek - the Original 60's series in HD, it looks pretty spot on even compared to some brand new films problem transfers. When they can make a 40+ year old TV show looks so nice, surely they can do justice to a brand new film.

If a problem distracts you then for me that is a bit of a pain for anyone. Yes many, or even the majority may not see some problems, but hey if they were not there to start with no one could moan like I and some others do :D I am not going to say I am not overly picky, I am, but hey some are mental compared to me even.

This thread is about Rambo in the end and I do love the transfer for the 4th film (detailed, grainy and lovely even when moving fast) :thumbs: I hope the new cut looks nice as well, it just looks pretty different looking in style so far.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Cheers. I often hear you talk about how you hated a transfer but never one you loved. Agreed Juno did look excellent, as does Toy Story 2 (I've not seen how Toy Story looks). In fact Toy Story 2 looks perfect. I was amazed how good it looks.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

You are right in way, I moan more than I praise sadly. I could praise discs all day I guess :D it just gets to me I guess when a film I like has problems for me.

Smaller films like Juno I hate seeing people get stuck into, I have seen some people say it was a poor transfer and looks "Grainy", comments like that just pee me off no end.
In fact some reviewers seem to think all films do not need quality HD transfers and say as much! unless it is the latest massive Blockbuster :icon_suspect: If you asked them kind of reviewers why they gave a transfer for say Juno a lower mark, could they even say why they did? apart from "It was Grainy", maybe not.

For instance I notice many magazines/papers etc.. have the worst reviews (and plenty of influence). I opened Total Film (I love the mag, but reviews suck for discs) yesterday and read this classic :lol:

Their comments on the new Predator Blu Ray.
"Predator originally hit HD 2 years ago on one of the worst blu rays we've seen. This new edition is infinitely better, having been digitally restored for sharper, crisper picture."

Who am I to say what they saw, but hey if anyone has seen the original disc and the new one then the comments are obviously a bit wrong. They may as well have wrote about the first Blu Ray and said ---Worst disc Ever!!!!! :lol:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Toy Story 1 also has an excellent picture, IMO.
joann
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by joann »

I found it good.I was just thinking how creative is the producer of all Rambo movies.
Rambo kills because he loves killing people.He would kill people by using his very sharp type of weapons-rambo knives.