The Studios going Blu-Ray Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:Really? A and B? That sounds ideal.
If you bothered to read the Technology forum you'd know ;) -

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... &start=282

It's not really viable for UK owners yet though, but it's a definitely a sign of things to come.
Why not viable? USA only at present?

Still a good sign. Logically any hacks applicible to US machines should basically be able to be replicated on UK ones.
It will be 3-5 years before a "decent" BD Player costs that much. The £200 price point is known to be the holy grail of price points and when people really start to buy stuff. There still aren't many Freeview Hard Disk/DVD Recorders for under £200 and that technology has been with us for several years now.
I don't plan on waiting that long... but equally I'm not wanting to overpay for something that isn't even up to current spec.
I didn't put any time scale on it. The last time I checked Sony didn't own Pioneer, Panasonic, LG or Samsung ;)
True, but Sony are known for bullying other companies in to their way of thinking.
Do you mean facist or fascist? :D
Thanks for the correction. :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Don't Warners own New Line?

Strange how one would support coding and not the other.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Why not viable? USA only at present?
Did you click on the link? They're a Dutch company and are well expensive. Hence not viable right now.
Markgway wrote:I don't plan on waiting that long... but equally I'm not wanting to overpay for something that isn't even up to current spec.
I'd say you'll be waiting another 6 months then. BD Profile 1.1 is on a few players now and given time will become standard. They'll also have ironed out the BD Java problems by then too.
Markgway wrote:True, but Sony are known for bullying other companies in to their way of thinking.
So do Microsoft. I bet you run Windows ;)

It's the way of the world. I don't give a monkeys. Let them get on with it. Panasonic and Pioneer are big enough to take care of themselves.
Markgway wrote:Don't Warners own New Line? Strange how one would support coding and not the other.
No, both are owned by Time Warner, same for HBO. It is strange though. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner

If you remember New Line have always supported DTS but Warner haven't. I believe they largely work independently.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I bet they will but it would look awful for them if they dropped it after only 6 months.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Paramount stating they will continue to support HD-DVD doesn't say how long for haha.

This article mentions an amusing alleged clause for Paramount's contract with HD-DVD, have a gander: http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cine ... DVD-Too/p1

:lol:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Though blu-ray has won this war i think it's a fairly hollow victory. i just don't see blu-ray becoming much more than a niche market,more popular than laserdisc was but never gaining the mass market appeal of dvd. let's face it,joe public goes into Zavvi and sees a great selection of dvds at 5 for £20 then sneaks a look at the sparse blu-ray titles on 3 for 2 costing £50 it's a no-brainer really.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's funny in 30 years they've learnt nothing from the Video War. There are striking similarities :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

saltysam wrote:Though blu-ray has won this war i think it's a fairly hollow victory. i just don't see blu-ray becoming much more than a niche market,more popular than laserdisc was but never gaining the mass market appeal of dvd. let's face it,joe public goes into Zavvi and sees a great selection of dvds at 5 for £20 then sneaks a look at the sparse blu-ray titles on 3 for 2 costing £50 it's a no-brainer really.
Are you sure about that? HDTVs are selling like hot cakes nowadays.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:
Are you sure about that? HDTVs are selling like hot cakes nowadays.
seeing as CRT tv's are virtually extinct that's not a surprise.how many people do you think buy a "HD Ready" tv and think they've got HD ! i know quite a few people who have lcd but are feeding it non hd sources. there are 5 LCD tv's in my house but only two are getting HD feeds. Do you honestly think blu-ray will take over from dvd anytime soon?if HD-DVD had won that wouldn't have become dominant either.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I'm not sure about it taking over DVD anytime soon, but I don't think it's going to be a niche market Laserdisc-type affair either.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:I'm not sure about it taking over DVD anytime soon, but I don't think it's going to be a niche market Laserdisc-type affair either.
i did say it'd do better than laserdisc :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Something like 80% of people with a HD Ready LCD TV already think they're watching HD :D

I agree with Salty. It will stay a nice product, probably forever. A decent size niche market definitely but still a nihe market. Like High Res. Audio people just aren't interested in anything better than DVD. So many people consider the quality "fine" or "good enough". Most people would stop buying DVDs if it was (much) easier to download (and burn to DVD) movies. People just don't really give a shit about price.

Sky has the edge as it has Sport which is a massive one for a lot of people, more so than movies I'd say. Most people watch a movie then that's it. They don't care if they own the product or not.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:It will stay a nice product, probably forever. A decent size niche market definitely but still a nihe market.
:lol:

As for high-res audio, ages ago I got a Pioneer player that did SACD and DVD-A, and then I realised that I couldn't listen to the high-res audio because my home cinema system doesn't have analogue inputs lol.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Oops.

High Res. Audio also works over HDMI and Firewire but yep for 99% of people you need an Amp with analogue inputs. It's well worth it BUT given how shit the software still is when I get a HD Player I'll be selling my Pioneer DVD Player on.

Most I've been able to obtain on DTS CD which makes for a nice compromise.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Hahaha, New Line will have only released ONE HD-DVD title:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... u-ray/1351
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:Hahaha, New Line will have only released ONE HD-DVD title:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... u-ray/1351
That's nothing to celebrate, another strict region coding studio.no problem to me,i already have a couple of their BD'S,i pity uk Region B stuck buyers having to buy overpriced EIV crap :twisted:
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Agreed, there's nothing to boast about, all the BR fanboys going nuts over the HD forums like they have won vietnam, are truly missing something important : they will be restricted to what they will be able to view, and they are going to pay HUGE prices for Sony BR, as there's no more competition in the HD domain. Plus if you got an early BR player, you're much more fucked than anyone with an HD player, the forthcoming profile bonuses WON'T WORK EVER.

Now that's funny. At least, HD player will still read any HD-DVD (and probably once Toshiba release an update that create BR reading emulation, also all BR including the bonuses), while people who trusted Sony will be FORCED TO REBUY A PLAYER. :lol:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

dvdvision wrote: (and probably once Toshiba release an update that create BR reading emulation, also all BR including the bonuses)
that would be incredible if possible but i imagine $ony would try and stop them.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

But who's to say it will stop someone on the web, one can dream :lol:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

dvdvision wrote:Now that's funny. At least, HD player will still read any HD-DVD (and probably once Toshiba release an update that create BR reading emulation, also all BR including the bonuses), while people who trusted Sony will be FORCED TO REBUY A PLAYER. :lol:
Erm, I have a PS3, and it got updated to profile 1.1 the other week...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:
Erm, I have a PS3, and it got updated to profile 1.1 the other week...
pity about the poor buggers who paid $$$$ to buy an unfinished spec standalone machine.maybe the BDA will compensate these innocent victims?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I'd call them fools for buying said machines instead of a PS3.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:i pity uk Region B stuck buyers having to buy overpriced EIV crap :twisted:
This is definitely a BIG reason to risk the warranty/customs issues and get an imported Region A Player.

EIV discs are expensive and frankly awful. I'd hate to be forced to buy their crap.
dvdvision wrote: (and probably once Toshiba release an update that create BR reading emulation, also all BR including the bonuses)
WTF!!!

That would never happen. Toshiba are as tight gripped about this as Sony. BD emulation on a HD-DVD Player, WTF! Besides as the Samsung and LG Players have proven it's not just a matter of different firmware the hardware is very different. I seriously doubt it's even possible.