What will make you upgrade for BD/HD-DVD?

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yet it doesn't pass the 'blacker than black' test, so that's not great considering my DVD player does.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Sounds like a real step from the PS2, which was like the worst DVD player ever. Eg skipping entire chapters at layer change.

I got my PS2 like 5 months after launch and used it exclusively as a DVD player until GTA3's release (the system's 1st killer app for me, I hate Gran Turismo). My brother had moved out and had taken the only dedicated player in the house.

Lourdes, Gojen, Kurgan - there a way to get multiregion DVD playback?
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

The early batches of PS2s could barely play the games, let alone the bleedin DVDs! :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

My PS2 used to go out of synch with the sound about halfway through films, that was so annoying.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

@Lourdes:
I don't want no console. :D
Especially not a Sony one.

When I said I wanted a cheap BD player, I meant a Samsung or a Pioneer.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

gasteropod wrote:Yet it doesn't pass the 'blacker than black' test, so that's not great considering my DVD player does.
With 1.80 it does.
tom2681 wrote:@Lourdes:
I don't want no console. :D
Especially not a Sony one.

When I said I wanted a cheap BD player, I meant a Samsung or a Pioneer.
I forget that you do this nonsense brand/format hating/sackriding irrespective of the product.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Pretty sad stuff thats for sure.

Most my equipment is from Sony (TV,DVD,AMP,PS2), not because I am a fan, but because they are the best in the price range I wanted, by a mile.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Lourdes, Gojen, Kurgan - there a way to get multiregion DVD playback?
Not really investigated it, to be honest; just haven't had time recently. I don't know if the others have though, and what (if any) conclusions they've drawn.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I had a Au launch model PS2 (SCPH-30002). I remember that it would like skip an entire chapter at layer change. Then they released the remote for it (Cuz frankly controlling it with dual shock was arse. You had to HOLD DOWN the shoulder buttons to do only ffwd/rwd and that was only 2* search speed max until the new driver.), the fucking driver took up 2MB of memory card space. I also had one of those Datel Region X discs to get around the region lock, swapping discs was a pain in the arse.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Lourdes wrote:With 1.80 it does.
Is that so? Great, cheers.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

gasteropod wrote:Yet it doesn't pass the 'blacker than black' test, so that's not great considering my DVD player does.
It does over hdmi. Which is where Sony wants you to go. (firmware 1.8 added "superwhite" and "fullrange rgb" option)

edit: damn, to late ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
saltysam2007

Post by saltysam2007 »

The PS3 has not been hacked for multiregion SD playback.i have a usa one,i play my region 1 discs on this and my region 2's on my toshiba hd-dvd player. As a standalone player the PS3 is excellent.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

@Lourdes+Romero:
Every piece of Sony hardware I've ever owned has fallen to pieces and broken down very quickly (+ most of it was crap even when it was in working condition).
Maybe I was just unlucky, though. :D
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Nah Tom, that's generally what you get from Sony equipment.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Er no you dont :D

Your exadurating a little now. Maybe all yours has.

I havent had a problem with any of mine ever, well apart from the dvd player which I knew wouldnt be perfect as it does hold 301 dvds after all wayyy to many moving parts :D but Sony have quite a good reputation for long lasting products, in the UK anyway, not sure what its like over seas, maybe they give you the crappy ones :D

I cannot say any of mine have been crap, I got the best I could afford and on the whole every review agrees with the things I bough that they are as good as I could have got for that cash. Other makes I have had massive problems with everything I have ever had from PC to VHS Players, Sony I havent.

My TV has problems (not mine to be honest as I cannot see it) as they dont recall things the idiots, even when thousands of people have the same problem (clouding). But thats the same with all makers from what I see, trying to weasel out of a mass recall.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

romerojpg wrote:Your exadurating a little now.
:lol:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

ejaculating then...
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

It's simple, cheap sony stuff is... well cheaply built. If that's the price range I think "cheap" brands build better stuff at the same price the crap Sony sells.

For midrange Sony is excellent - and probably outdo's most competitors (IMO). For high-end however they are struggling a bit - and it's more touch'n'go. For superior-end-equipment --- well I don't think SONY's playing that game are they? (Unless we count the Qualia series :p)

Sony is getting a lot of flak for what parts of the company has done lately (root kit and what not) - but I don't think we really should blame that on the electronics division. SONY's just too big though... almost like Microsoft, which isn't exactly popular either :D
So long, and thanks for all the fish!