The Terminator & Terminator 2 HD Releases!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I couldn't resist it any more and have pre-ordered the USA BD from PlayUSA. It's bound to go up and £12.99 is a steal. Gloat away Eva.

Hopefully it will have the Extended SE scenes too. The trailers implies it will. I can then sell my German HD-DVD (hopefully for a tidy profit) and OOP R1 UE DVD. I wouldn't normally do this but this is T2 and even though I prefer the SE, having both cuts is a must.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

It will probably be region coded so be warned ;-)

I got the japanese blu ray steelbook, it's an amazing set.

You can find much talk about this release there, Van Ling, who is in charge, is giving lots of insightful answers

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/van ... 1-2-a.html
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

dvdvision wrote:It will probably be region coded so be warned ;-)
I've probably got a Mult-region BD Player, so be warned ;).
dvdvision wrote:I got the japanese blu ray steelbook, it's an amazing set.
Isn't this an older release? I seem to recall it has both cuts on two discs though (instead of seamless branching), so not much difference really.
dvdvision wrote:You can find much talk about this release there, Van Ling, who is in charge, is giving lots of insightful answers

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/van ... 1-2-a.html
Great link, thanks. Well worth a read of Van's comments.

I don't really care if the audio bitrate is a bit lower, it's still lossless and thus won't be noticeable anyway. I currently own the German T2 HD-DVD, so will compare the USA T2 SE BD with it. I suspect I'll put the German HD-DVD on eBay.

I also don't really care the German HD-DVD only has DTS-HD HR. I doubt there's a huge difference between it and a DTS-HD MA track.

I'm hoping/guessing the new BD will have the Extended Special Edition too, it's deleted scenes on the German HD-DVD (with just the Special Edition included).
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Yeah, new version is all three cuts on one disc with the alternate one being "hidden".

The japanese is two discs, with the TC not being sourced from the last, extreme remaster, thus it's a nice memento of how the movie looked and sounded originally (for the new version, all three cuts are sourced from the extreme 2003 remaster with further digital cleaning applied).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

dvdvision wrote:Yeah, new version is all three cuts on one disc with the alternate one being "hidden".
Has that been confirmed? Great! Thanks.
dvdvision wrote:or the new version, all three cuts are sourced from the extreme 2003 remaster with further digital cleaning applied).
Crikey, that's now 6 years old. I guess it holds up well or is the only one director approved (they could get hold of).

Any ideas where the Kinowelt German HD-DVD is from? Different again I guess.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

I haven't seen it, but it's also sourced from the xtreme version according to posts on other forums.

All the HD versions will be for the time being from the xtreme remaster from 2003, only they all have different encodes and digital cleaning. Only exception seems to be the TC on the japanese blu-ray, which is from the precedent master (the one from the UE).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

dvdvision wrote:I haven't seen it, but it's also sourced from the xtreme version according to posts on other forums.
Likely then, thanks.
dvdvision wrote:Only exception seems to be the TC on the japanese blu-ray, which is from the precedent master (the one from the UE).
Crikey, that must make it a lot inferior.

Thanks for the info.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Yeah, for me, that make it archival :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Does the HD transfer from the UE master have loads of EE coming out of the arse?
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Not on my blu-ray copy (on the DVD it did).

Come to think of it, maybe disc 1 of the StudioCanal double disc is also the same as the TC on the japanese Blu-Ray steelbook. Since I don't buy StudioCanal releases, I can't tell. Anyway, the differences are so minor in color timing between the two versions, only crazed collectors like me will find value in that. The japanese disc offer the original mix, too as an option.

The xtreme version is so far the best looking this movie has ever been (except for the DVD which had some of the colors shifted, probably at the compression stage), the blu-ray will be tremendous, if not 3D looking, at least it's the cleanest we will have for now.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I suspect it won't look too different from my German HD-DVD. We'll see.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Yeah, differences with other recent HD releases of the same film will be minor (apart from the horrible single layer US Blu-Ray of course) since it's still the same master.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Terminator 1 BD News:

* New Lenticular Cover art: http://www.foxstore.com/detail.php?item=6226%22

* From Digital Points (copy/pasted from Imports Forum):
In an early announcement to retailers, MGM Home Entertainment in conjunction with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has revealed that they will bring 'The Terminator (Lenticular Cover)' to Blu-ray on May 12th, day-and-date with the DVD re-issue and one week before Lionsgate's new 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Skynet Edition)' Blu-ray.

According to our good friend Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits, MGM is simply re-issuing the existing disc with a new lenticular cover, so nothing new. The next obvious question becomes, when will be see a proper release for 'Terminator 3'? Japan may have already provided a hint, with Warner Home Video releasing a Dolby TrueHD version of the release there on June 5th. Hopefully we'll hear of a US release soon.
* Confirmation from Van Ling that the May release isn't the Remastered SE we've all been waiting for (worth a read):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/352 ... st221.html
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

That's fucked up.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's putting it lightly :shock:.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

"Suggested list price for the Blu-ray has been set at $24.99."

They're taking the piss... surely??
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The new usa T2 BD is Region Locked A.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Good job its out in UK at the same time, and cheaper :D its shit anyway picture wise, the old UK disc blows it away :shock: stupid wankers need a slap for doing a piss poor job again! :roll:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i have the old uk disc,that'll do for me.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I'm going to wait for Cameron to remaster it as he's rumoured to be doing once he's finished his new films.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:I'm going to wait for Cameron to remaster it as he's rumoured to be doing once he's finished his new films.
at the speed that guy works expect it around 2027
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Well I'm not exactly in a rush to see it again, and I've got it on DVD :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

My T2 USA shipped from Playusa today :D. I'll compare it with my German HD-DVD when it arrives. If it's much worse I'll keep the German HD-DVD but I imagine I'll be happy with it.

Where is the UK version cheaper?